Operational temperature what happens when max reached? - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Operational temperature what happens when max reached?

Operational temperature temperature

Best Answer Mario Vernari, 06 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

The 70'C is just a nominal-standard "warranty" bound. If you run your board at 69'C or 71'C won't change anything.

BTW, your Netduino should run pretty decently even above 100'C, but -of course- no manufacturer yields you guarantee on the reliability, nor Chris Walker!

What happens if you take the Netduino up to (e.g.) +125'C for a "long time" (e.g. days)?

The heating shakes a lot more the electrons, and that's for "any" electron! For instance, since the flash is able to store a bit value by "trapping" a bunch of electrons inside an insulated particle of metal, the more the electrons will be shaked, the higher will be the probability they're able to "jump off" the island. It's much like many horses: when they're agitated, someone could jump off its bound and escape. When the number of electrons still is the island is too low, the bit value could be read as "uncertain". This equals to a data losing.

So, the "70'C" is a logical threshold above which the warranty voids. The probability to lose data is always presente, but -of course- is lesser when the temperature is low.

The silicon begins to deteriorate above 150-200 'C (for many seconds).

It is a pretty complex discussion behind this limit:, the duration and the "point" at where the temp is referred is also very important.

@Dave. Your idea might be nice for steep temperature variations, but when is stable, the oil can't do anything.

Cheers.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nhale

nhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHeidelberg, Germany

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi,

the operational temperature is defined between 0-70 °C.

What happens when it reaches 70 °C  and more? Does it switch off automatically or are there some components which just die?

With my project the N+2 will be at about 60 °C for about 24 hours. Based on the weather it might also be more.

I don't hope to reach the 70° C air temperature but I would feel better to know what happens in this case :blink:

Thanks

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Which ND are you using?  According to the ND+2 Schematic the 5V LDO converter is thermally protected so it should shut down when it reaches that point.

#3 nhale

nhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I plan to use the N+2 (when I solve the problem of slow debugging) but I have also an "older" N+, which is the backup.

I have to clarify if there is a possibility to get some fresh air which can cool down the temperature, but this might not be that easy ;-(

#4 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

If you think heat is going to be a major issue, you may want to consider placing the ND into a mineral oil bath in a sealed container.  This has been used for a while as a means to keep circuits cool under intense conditions.

#5 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:19 PM   Best Answer

The 70'C is just a nominal-standard "warranty" bound. If you run your board at 69'C or 71'C won't change anything.

BTW, your Netduino should run pretty decently even above 100'C, but -of course- no manufacturer yields you guarantee on the reliability, nor Chris Walker!

What happens if you take the Netduino up to (e.g.) +125'C for a "long time" (e.g. days)?

The heating shakes a lot more the electrons, and that's for "any" electron! For instance, since the flash is able to store a bit value by "trapping" a bunch of electrons inside an insulated particle of metal, the more the electrons will be shaked, the higher will be the probability they're able to "jump off" the island. It's much like many horses: when they're agitated, someone could jump off its bound and escape. When the number of electrons still is the island is too low, the bit value could be read as "uncertain". This equals to a data losing.

So, the "70'C" is a logical threshold above which the warranty voids. The probability to lose data is always presente, but -of course- is lesser when the temperature is low.

The silicon begins to deteriorate above 150-200 'C (for many seconds).

It is a pretty complex discussion behind this limit:, the duration and the "point" at where the temp is referred is also very important.

@Dave. Your idea might be nice for steep temperature variations, but when is stable, the oil can't do anything.

Cheers.

Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#6 nhale

nhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

If you think heat is going to be a major issue, you may want to consider placing the ND into a mineral oil bath in a sealed container.  This has been used for a while as a means to keep circuits cool under intense conditions.

This is no option, as the whole package will be installed in a race car :blink: A box full of oil is the last thing you want to have inside the car in case of a crash

It's much like many horses: when they're agitated, someone could jump off its bound and escape.

Thanks, now I got it ;-)

I will try to install some kind tube which provides fresh air to keep the temperature below 70°C

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Operational temperature, temperature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.