Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Blown Netduini Plus2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Russ Black

Russ Black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Have blown a n+2 by connecting to a car battery via 12v->9v inverter.

Just found out why: the inverter was wired the wrong way around 12v into the 9v output port and vice-versa.

Is there likely to be anything salvagable for the n+2. i.e. any bits that would have blown / can be replaced?

many thanks

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hi Russ, ;( Many of the parts on your Netduino Plus 2 are probably okay, if you want to scavenge. I would avoid trying to replace parts on the board...although you're certainly welcome to. Which pins did you connect the external power to? There is some reverse voltage protection on Netduino Plus 2 but the creative types can still electrocute a board if they really want to. D: Chris

#3 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

you sure it blew up the duino?

more likly the converter is dead. the netduino can survice 12v. except you connect gnd to vin and positive to

to gnd-in -> that will fry your on board voltage converter and maybe the netduino chip itself

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

I agree with Noom, your board should be still alive.

Noom is mistaking just a thing: both the Netduino (old) and Netduino 2 are inversion protected.

Cheers

Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#5 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

yeah, someone should buy me a plus2 so i get familiar with those too :P

my mini isent protected like that :(

#6 Russ Black

Russ Black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Definatly something is gone in it, can't power it up via usb or wall wart.

When I said the wrong way around i didn't mean polarity, it was inverter output was connected to the 12v battery & the n+2 to the input.

I think my multi-meter is playing up as it says my (bike) battery is outputing 24v.

Was just asking in case  there was a fuse / power regulator on the board that could be replaced.

Sounds like not.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi Russ,

Was just asking in case  there was a fuse / power regulator on the board that could be replaced. Sounds like not.

The most likely part to be damaged is your switching regulator or its associated components. If you take a look at the schematic and board design files, you can see how it's all connected. You're certainly more than welcome to try to replace the blown parts yourself...that would be some fun hacking. My bigger concern is that you might have some other damaged parts; if you go the repair route you'll want to analyze the power in and power out of each section in the schematic. Chris

#8 Russ Black

Russ Black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

thanks for all your help.

new one arrived today so I'm back up and running.

I might have a look at the blown one again at some point.

Will definatly double check the regulator power output before i connect it up again.

and maybe test it with an old Arduino first ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.