Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

BTinterface my Android app to control uControllers via Bluetooth

bluetooth remote control wireless

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 IanMc

IanMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I've just released my Android software BTinterface on the Google Play Store here:

https://play.google....face.trial.beta

While its not specifically for the netduino and aimed at microcontrollers in general with just a small cheap and very easy to use bluetooth module you get some pretty powerful functionality for controlling your doohickeys :)

Here's a really short video:

and please have a look at my website:

http://www.BTInterface.com

Thanks!

ian

BTI_Logo52x52.png

BTInterface

Its a thing that allows you to do things with things.

Take a look.  www.BTInterface.com

#2 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

You are right, it IS a little bit scary, the retro Nokia phone, the helmet on the bed, i mean, how can we be sure this thing is safe...

#3 IanMc

IanMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Wait till I show it controlling my jet engine :) Jetduino .... that'll be scary :)

BTI_Logo52x52.png

BTInterface

#4 IanMc

IanMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I've uploaded a new version of BTInterface.

I've taken user remarks to heart.

Firstly I've added the ability to choose the annoying sound effects that you wish to play on connection and disconnection of the Bluetooth module.
You can also choose '0' (zero) to have no sound effects and as these (16) sound effects are the same ones that you get by sending the sfx commands (sfx1 sfx2 sfx16) then this doubles up as a good place to try out the sound effects (press the little speaker icons to play the sounds).

Secondly I have added the ability for the micro controller programmer to determine what string is sent when the user presses a button.
This can, like the sound effects, be chosen in the settings (menu - settings) or it can also be done in code if the micro controller sends the string b1send b2send b3send or b4send so for example if when I press b1 I want the string 'activate' to be sent (instead of the string 'b1') then I'd program the b1 button by either doing it in the settings or sending the command over the serial connection:
b1send activate

Then each time I press the b1 button it will send that word 'activate' which you can see if you press it a few times then look at the log in the terminal screen.

Please note that I've only done this for the four user buttons at the moment as the game pad buttons are, well, game pad buttons Posted Image so remain as up, down, left, right & fire

I also did a considerable bit of work on the help system which is like a complete website inside the app Posted Image

Please let me know what you think and keep the suggestions coming.... and please join my forum Posted Image no-one's joined my forum yet ... well, only one has ... Posted Image

BTI_Logo52x52.png

BTInterface

#5 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

What did you use to create the Android app, Eclipse?

#6 IanMc

IanMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hi emg. I did start to get into Android like everyone else via Java & Eclipse but I found it to be slow and cumbersome.

I had a look around and found this guy called Erel who is creating something called basic for android or B4a as we call it.

This is the only language that I know of specifically created for Android and its starting to show.

It keeps getting better & better as Erel continues development on it.

Think Visual Basic for Android.

www.basic4ppc.com

BTI_Logo52x52.png

BTInterface

#7 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Cool, thanks!

#8 cutlass

cutlass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew England. :)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hi emg. I did start to get into Android like everyone else via Java & Eclipse but I found it to be slow and cumbersome.

I had a look around and found this guy called Erel who is creating something called basic for android or B4a as we call it.

This is the only language that I know of specifically created for Android and its starting to show.

It keeps getting better & better as Erel continues development on it.

Think Visual Basic for Android.

www.basic4ppc.com

Very nice, thanks!

About a year ago, I used eclipse and Java to write a simple Android application.  I didn't like Java and the calls at all.

I like basic4ppc.  It's similar to .NET and VB.NET and VB6.  So, no huge learning curve if I want to do a simple program. :)

BTW, I found this video and it's a good example of how to use basic4ppc.

Android Programming using Basic4Android - Tutorial 1

https://www.youtube....h?v=QWyrCab7ANA

Also, in the description, there's a link to get 30% off the price. Yea, free would have been much nicer! :)

So, it's ~$35 for the program.  IMHO, for me, that's worth it so that I don't need to learn/remember another language and calls, that I would very rarely use. :)

Interesting tidbit, I never liked JAVA.  I never liked programming it. 

But, I *love* C#. :)

And, I used to be a huge Sun Microsystems fan, and hate anything/everything relating to MicroSucks.  Now, I'm a semi-leg humper of MicroSucks.  Feel like I sold my sole to the devil. :o

#9 IanMc

IanMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Haha :) for me I just go with what works. I feel I am capable of writing anything that should be asked of me in B4a so if someone wants an application right now, before they get old then they'll just have to look past the fact that it has 'basic' in the name :)

I like C# too.  Did you know you can install the Mono runtime on the Raspberry Pi and run C# programs on it?

This of course means that you can develop in the fabulous Visual Studio IDE !!!! For the Pi !!!! 

:)

Excitin' times are upon us

BTI_Logo52x52.png

BTInterface

#10 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Did you know you can install the Mono runtime on the Raspberry Pi and run C# programs on it?

Mono does not run on the current hard-float Raspbian image. You have to use an early soft-float Wheezy that never left beta. See this thread: Raspbian vs Wheezy (beta) Mono support

#11 IanMc

IanMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Doh!

Kabooom! Ian's great idea crashes and burns :)

How do I find out what version I have installed on my R Pi ?

Oh, it says so right there in the boot up script, it says:

Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 raspberrypi tty1

and then a little further down it says:

Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv61

So I hadn't actually gotten to the point of writing anything in C#, copying it across to the Pi and then trying to Mono Run it.

:)

Oh well.... Python it is then :)

BTI_Logo52x52.png

BTInterface

#12 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

It looks like will eventually get sorted, just be prepared to wait... or just use the Wheezy soft float while you wait.

#13 cutlass

cutlass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew England. :)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Neat.

For me, I like the shields and code support for the arduino platforms. :)

IMHO, it's a huge time (and cost :)) saver to have proven boards and some code basis.

Of course, the performance/etc all depends on the application. :)

IMHO, an ~1-1000 update handles a lot of applications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.