Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Can't find "Netduino Application" (Netduino Plus 2)

netduino application netduino plus 2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leolearth

leolearth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Gentleman,

I'm new with netduino.

I was following the "getting started" manual and after installing .NET Micro Framework SDK v4.2 and Netduino SDK v4.2.2.0 (64-bit) and successfully connecting netduino plus 2, it didn't show Netduino Application on the left side of the new project menu (Visual C# > Micro Framework). I tried with all .NET Frameworks installed on my computer (2,3, 3.5 and 4)

I saw in a forum that this was solved after reinstalling both softwares. I did it several times and it didn't work also.

Does anybody knows how to fix this annoying problem?

Thanks,

Leo

Attached Files

#2 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Hi Leo and welcome to the wonderful world of Netduino!

I recall the first time I tried to get the .Net Micro Framework and Netduino SDK working with Visual Studio and I couldn't get it to work either. Because of it I shelved my shiny new board for nearly a year. So, I feel your pain and definitely don't want to see you waiting to get to use your Netduino. 

If memory serves me correctly, it wasn't so much an issue withe NETMF SDK or the Netduino SDK, but rather an issue with the paths of my Visual Studio installation. At that time I had upgraded from VS 2008 and it did some wonky things with the paths of the template folders. Granted, this may not be the same issue, but in any case let's see if we can track down where your Visual Studio templates are, and how we can copy over the Netduino templates to that spot. If they are there, then it's a matter of getting Visual Studio to install them correctly. 

Before we try these steps, it should also be noted that the installation of the NETMF SDK and the Netduino SDK have to be done in a specific order. If you haven't done so previously when you removed both SDKs, install the NETMF SDK first, then the Netduino SDK. 

On my machine the templates are kept in the folder "C:UsersSteveDocumentsVisual Studio 2010TemplatesProjectTemplatesVisual C#", however obviously your path will differ slightly depending on where your Documents folder is. I believe the Netduino SDK expects to find the templates in this location but depending on your Visual Studio's configuration you may have your templates in another location. 

To find out where your templates are located you simply open VS and:

• Go to "Tools" in the top menu. 
  • "Options"
  • In the left hand area select "Projects and Solutions"
  • And finally "General"

Here you should see that paths for your projects, templates, and user item templates. If they differ from the path I noted above, then simply change the paths here or copy the items from installed location to the new one.

Once this is complete you may need to run the Devenv.exe command line tool to install the templates. To do so you will need to open up an elevated command prompt. An easy way to this is to open the Start Menu, and in the search box type "cmd". Then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter and follow the prompts to accept the elevated status. Once you have the cmd prompt you'll need to go to the location of the devenv.exe which is generally located in "C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDE". In order to change the directory copy and paste the following into the cmd window:

cd C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDE

Once the directory has changed, run the devenv command with the following flag:

devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates

After a short while the process should finish. Then open up Visual Studio and hopefully you'll see your templates there. If not, then lets dig a little deeper and get you back up and running. 

Cheers,

Steve

#3 kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thanks. This worked for me. I am running VS2012 and found the templates under my previous VS2010 installation. Simply copied the Project Template folder to the VS2012 location. The 'New Project' menu now shows the Micro Framework project options and I have an led flashing on my N+2. :D

#4 Juan Llorens

Juan Llorens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Dear all:

I suffered the same problem yesterday during my first netduino day :)

In my case, the problem was permissions. Initially, I installed the framework and SDK with my own account (that has administration rights in my local computer) but the Netduino Application didn't appear (I did the installation several times). I finally removed both installations, I reactivated the Administrator user of my local computer, logged in as Administrator, installed again the framework + the SDK, and... everything worked..I could see the Netduino application (and the rest).

I think the problem in my case was with writing permissions in the C Device.

Hope it serves

Hugs

Juan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.