Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Shield Base Firmware (beta 6)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Version: Beta 6 (based on 4.2.2 NETMF firmware) This update requires a Netduino Go running v4.2.2.0+ firmware. This firmware uses the GoBus 1.5 UART transport, so it temporarily requires use of 4 GoPorts (1-4 or 5-8). We will remove this restriction in an upcoming release by moving to the fast GoBus 1.5 SPI transport. Because this firmware uses an un-optimized implementation of the GoBus UART transport, SerialPort and SPI operations run at a reduced speed. This firmware includes the following updates: 1. Bug fix: SPI clock 'idle high' setting now supported This firmware includes the previous updates: 1. COM1 (shieldBase.SerialPorts.COM1 on pins D0-D1) is now available for use 2. Now compatible with legacy SecretLabs AnalogInput and PWM classes (requires 4.2.2 SDK) 3. Bug fix: SPI chip select timing corrected 4. Bug fix: PWM frequency corrected 5. GoBus 2.0 Alpha: auto-detect support for Shield Base 6. GoBus 2.0 Alpha: Pins, AnalogChannels, PwmChannels, and SPI_Devices are auto-redirected to Shield Base 7. SerialPort support (COM2/COM3 on pins D2-D3/D7-D8) 8. SPI support (SPI1 on pins D11-D13) 9. New ShieldBase.SerialPorts and ShieldBase.SPI_Devices enumerations 10. GoBus 1.5 transport: error-correction with CRCs, frame acknowledgements, retries, etc. 11. InterruptPort support (pins D2-D13, although A0-A5 can be used by advanced users) 12. New ShieldBase.PWMChannels and ShieldBase.AnalogInputs enumerations (matching Netduino 4.2) 13. PWM no longer stops working 'randomly' 14. PWM scale now works properly NOTE: if you are using your Shield Base (with upgraded STM32F2 chip) as a standalone NETMF board, you can build the 4.2.2 NETMF firmware from source or use the original 4.2.0 firmware for Shield Base. To upgrade your Shield Base: 1. Plug your Shield Base into GoPort 5 on your Netduino Go. 2. Deploy the attached updater app, and watch your Output window. 3. When prompted, press the Netduino Go's onboard button to start the flashing process. 4. While flashing your Shield Base, GoPort 5's LED will flash and the Output window will provide status. 5. When the Shield Base is completely updated, the white power LED will flash. After the upgrade, simply deploy a new app to your Netduino Go mainboard. If you have trouble communicating with the shield base, power cycle your Netduino Go. Please post in this thread if you have any troubles. Thank you for beta testing the Shield Base, Chris

Attached Files

#2 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thank you, Chris.

NO more "checkiing your hardware". Worry free. :)  :)  :)  :)

#3 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hi Chris, Just wondered if there is an estimated date for multiple shield base support? Also any ideas on the 1-wire support on shield base? many thanks, Andy

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hi Andy,

Just wondered if there is an estimated date for multiple shield base support? Also any ideas on the 1-wire support on shield base?

Multiple shield bases will be enabled later this winter/spring. OneWire will be the first new feature we add to Shield Base after that. Chris

#5 wernerotten

wernerotten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi Chris;

I am getting an execution error when running the program to upgrade the shield base. Advise?

#6 wernerotten

wernerotten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Hi Chris;

Here the error I am getting when updating the baseshield.

Any Advise

bool GetAck()   {   if (_isDisposed)   throw new ObjectDisposedException();

byte[] readBuffer = new byte[1];   int bytesRead = 0;

bytesRead = _serialPort.Read(readBuffer, 0, readBuffer.Length);

if (bytesRead == 0)   throw new Exception(); // timeout exception

if (readBuffer[0] == 0x79)   return true;   else if (readBuffer[0] == 0x1F)   <-- here it is where the error happen the buffer value is 128   return false;   else   throw new Exception(); // invalid byte  <-- throw this exception   }

Attached Files

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi wernerotten, Which port is your Shield Base connected to? Are you using a long cable or a short cable? Can you try another cable really quickly? Finally...did you unplug all the other modules while flashing the shield base (or at least the ones on that half of the board...1-4 or 5-8)? It looks like either the data is getting corrupted or the board might be connected to the opposite GoBus channel. Chris

#8 wernerotten

wernerotten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hi Chris;

I used to different cables (provided with the Netduino) connected to Port 5, the only module connected was the base shield; in both cases I got same error.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hi wernerotten, Can you try using port 4 instead--and changing the "5" to a "4" at the top of the code? I'm just trying to isolate any potential issues here. Flashing is pretty straightforward...so it's possible that something here got damaged somehow (maybe even in shipping). Chris

#10 wernerotten

wernerotten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Chris;

Unfortunately exactly same error.

Could be an issue that I upgraded the Netduino Go to 4.2.2 before trying to upgrade the Base Shield,

Thanks

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

wernerotten, Netduino Go running 4.2.2 firmware is fine for flashing the Shield Base. Did you use the Shield Base (with its old firmware) prior to trying to upgrade it? Chris

#12 wernerotten

wernerotten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hi Chris;

Unfortunately not, I can't tell you if it was OK before the upgrade; today I tried a small test application using Nwazet Touch screen but it halt without giving an error (inside a Try Catch block), I tried with different port (5,4 and 1) with same result.

Thanks

#13 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hi!

Get error in a beginning to re flash Shield Base, even not able to reach a point to push button on Go

Error 1 Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:NetduinoGo

Heeeeeeeelp :(

#14 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Folks, help please :(

#15 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Hi eplaksienko,

Get error in a beginning to re flash Shield Base, even not able to reach a point to push button on Go   Error 1 Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:NetduinoGo   Heeeeeeeelp :(

Okay, that's a different issue. Let's try to solve that first. The newer firmware for Netduino Go uses the USB name "Netduino" instead of "NetduinoGo". Open up project properties and go to the .NET Micro Framework tab. Change the transport from USB to Serial and then back to USB again, to make sure that it sees "NetduinoGo_Netduino" as the deployment target. Then save the project and try to deploy again. Does that get your Netduino Go up and running? Chris

#16 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

Chris thx, this worked, but then I got exception here in STM32Bootloader.cs

bool GetAck()
        {
            if (_isDisposed)
                throw new ObjectDisposedException();

byte[] readBuffer = new byte[1];
            int bytesRead = 0;

bytesRead = _serialPort.Read(readBuffer, 0, readBuffer.Length);

if (bytesRead == 0)
                throw new Exception(); // timeout exception

if (readBuffer[0] == 0x79)
                return true;
            else if (readBuffer[0] == 0x1F)
                return false;
            else
                throw new Exception(); // invalid byte
        }

The message
An unhandled exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in STM32ReflashApp.exe . looks like similar to 
wernerotten

#17 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

Ok, it worked from bus #4

Chris, is there some reason?

#18 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

NGO with SB doesn't work independently on it's own power supply, Each time to start the app I have to connect to computer and load program from VS C#

#19 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

That was weird.  I had issues deploying the updated firmware to the shieldbase.  I am using a Windows 8 machine, VS 2013, net framework 4.3, Go Firmware 4.2.2.1.

Tried several times to Debug the application but it would not connect to the Go over USB, kept doing iterations to connect.  In frustration, I then just deployed the solution, which worked ok.  Then I started debugging and it worked fine.

#20 TinkeringTurtle

TinkeringTurtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

I had the same issue where I had to flash the base from port 4 instead of port 5 as well for whatever reason.

When will the shield base be moving to SPI so the extra three ports aren't wasted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.