Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

ExtendedSPIConfiguration

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dominicbeesley

dominicbeesley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hello...this is my first post so please be gentle!

I've just got a Netduino Plus 2 and am trying to interface it with a Nokia 6100. I've got it working using bit banging after a bit of reading of the Philips data sheet

I'd like to use it with SPI but I can't get ExtendedSPIConfiguration to work, it throws a null object exception when trying to access the "Custom_BitsPerTransfer" property using reflection

I though that this worked with newer firmwares, the version I have (from a Debug.Pring) is:

"Systeminfo .Version, .SystemID.Model, OEMString: 4.2.1.2, 0, Netduino Plus 2 (v4.2.1.2) by Secret Labs LLC"

Do I need to load a different firmware?

any help would be great...nice piece of kit

D

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hi dominicbeesley, ExtendedSpiConfiguration is an extension specific to the gen1 Netduino boards (Netduino 1 and Netduino Plus 1). The new STM32F4 micros use the standard 8- and 16-bit SPI data sizes. How many bits per transfer does the screen use? It's definitely possible to use software bit-banged SPI, although that might be a bit slow. If there is a big need for custom SPI data sizes (e.g. 7 bits, 10 bits, etc.) we could create a native bit-bang driver in a future firmware update. Chris

#3 dominicbeesley

dominicbeesley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hi Chris,

It's 9 bits for the Nokia screen...looks like I'm going to have to rethink my project for now

Thanks

Dom

PS: Thanks for looking!

#4 dominicbeesley

dominicbeesley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

A bit-bang driver would be great!

I'd like to have a go at compiling my own firmware but don't seem to be able to find the sources for 4.2.2.0 anywhere...or a guid on how to set up and install the toolchain etc...any pointers?

D

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Hi D,
I'd like to have a go at compiling my own firmware but don't seem to be able to find the sources for 4.2.2.0 anywhere...
Just posted. Download the "netduino 2 firmware 4.2.2 source" and copy it over the NETMF 4.2 QFE1 PK.
http://www.netduino.com/downloads/

Chris

#6 dominicbeesley

dominicbeesley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

I can still only see 4.2.0 on there.

D

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi D,

I can still only see 4.2.0 on there.

No worries; it's the third link under "Netduino Firmware Source".

Here's the direct link:
netduino 2 firmware v4.2.2 source

Chris

#8 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Here's the direct link:
http://www.netduino....no2firmware.zip

Chris

I got message from webiste.....................Oops! This link appears to be broken.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I got message from webiste.....................Oops! This link appears to be broken.

Fixed. Sorry, I swapped the URL and the text for the link :)

Here is the direct link again:
netduino 2 firmware v4.2.2 source

Chris

#10 dominicbeesley

dominicbeesley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks both....will have to find a few hours spare to get my head round compiling this...doesn't look simple but hacking it looks like it should be ok.

Now back onto the SPI thing....I've found a hack to speed my printing to the screen up by about an order of 10. Pack the 9bit words into a 16bit array and fire that out with standard 16bit SPI. There's a bit of overhead as most of my library uses bitbanging so need to switch from gpio to spi and back between each character and the packing is not great but it works.

If anyone is interested I'll post up my driver when its working a bit better.

Is there a place to put code snippets or should I just zip and upload?

D

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hi D, You can post code here...or over in the project showcase if you want to show off the project itself. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.