Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Shield Base Firmware (beta 5)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Version: Beta 5 (based on 4.2.2 NETMF firmware) This update requires a Netduino Go running v4.2.2.0+ firmware. This firmware uses the GoBus 1.5 UART transport, so it temporarily requires use of 4 GoPorts (1-4 or 5-8). We will remove this restriction in an upcoming release by moving to the fast GoBus 1.5 SPI transport. Because this firmware uses an un-optimized implementation of the GoBus UART transport, SerialPort and SPI operations run at a reduced speed. This firmware includes the following updates: 1. COM1 (shieldBase.SerialPorts.COM1 on pins D0-D1) is now available for use 2. Now compatible with legacy SecretLabs AnalogInput and PWM classes (requires 4.2.2 SDK) 3. Bug fix: SPI chip select timing corrected 4. Bug fix: PWM frequency corrected 5. GoBus 2.0 Alpha: auto-detect support for Shield Base 6. GoBus 2.0 Alpha: Pins, AnalogChannels, PwmChannels, and SPI_Devices are auto-redirected to Shield Base This firmware includes the previous updates: 1. SerialPort support (COM2/COM3 on pins D2-D3/D7-D8) 2. SPI support (SPI1 on pins D11-D13) 3. New ShieldBase.SerialPorts and ShieldBase.SPI_Devices enumerations 4. GoBus 1.5 transport: error-correction with CRCs, frame acknowledgements, retries, etc. 5. InterruptPort support (pins D2-D13, although A0-A5 can be used by advanced users) 6. New ShieldBase.PWMChannels and ShieldBase.AnalogInputs enumerations (matching Netduino 4.2) 7. PWM no longer stops working 'randomly' 8. PWM scale now works properly NOTE: if you are using your Shield Base (with upgraded STM32F2 chip) as a standalone NETMF board, you can build the 4.2.2 NETMF firmware from source or use the original 4.2.0 firmware for Shield Base. To upgrade your Shield Base: 1. Plug your Shield Base into GoPort 5 on your Netduino Go. 2. Deploy the attached updater app, and watch your Output window. 3. When prompted, press the Netduino Go's onboard button to start the flashing process. 4. While flashing your Shield Base, GoPort 5's LED will flash and the Output window will provide status. 5. When the Shield Base is completely updated, the white power LED will flash. After the upgrade, simply deploy a new app to your Netduino Go mainboard. If you have trouble communicating with the shield base, power cycle your Netduino Go. Please post in this thread if you have any troubles. Thank you for beta testing the Shield Base, Chris

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

P.S. To update your current project using Shield Base: 1. Remove the NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll assembly reference from your current project. 2. Add the attached NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll assembly as a reference to your project. This update should be fully backwards compatible with your existing code. Chris P.S. NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll will also included in the upcoming Netduino 4.2.2 SDK.

Attached Files

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

This update requires a Netduino Go running v4.2.2.0+ firmware.

The link text states version 4.2.2.0 but following the link takes you to the 4.2.0.2 topic.

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

P.S. To update your current project using Shield Base: 1. Remove the NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll assembly reference from your current project. 2. Add the attached NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll assembly as a reference to your project. This update should be fully backwards compatible with your existing code. Chris P.S. NetduinoGo.ShieldBase.dll will also included in the upcoming Netduino 4.2.2 SDK.

Thanks! Work great for 74HC595 for SPI. No Error :)

#5 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thank again.

FLASHING WAS SUCCESSFUL. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

The link text states version 4.2.2.0 but following the link takes you to the 4.2.0.2 topic.
Good catch :) Fixed. Thanks for letting me know. Chris

#7 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I was wanting to see if I could flash my nwazet DAQ with the changes made.  I'm a little confused on the code in the FlashFile section.  The size numbers don't seem to make any sense to me.  ER_BOOT on disk is 308 bytes, but it says 52 in new FlashFile.  ER_CONFIG 2,572 != 2,316 ER_FLASH 266,676 != 266,420 ER_PROXYAPP 23,016 != 22,760.  What on earth would I put for NwazetDAQLVModule.bin at 55,808?

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi NXTwoThou, We pad the files by 256 bytes each, to work around a bug in NETMF 4.2 resources. [This bug has been fixed in NETMF 4.3 I believe.] Go ahead and put the original file sizes there...and run LengthenBinFile on your firmware files to grow them by 256 extra bytes (which will not be measured in the figures used in the app). In case you're wondering why we padded it by 256 bytes...pages are 256 bytes each. So the padding just makes sure we don't lose any data while reading out the resource. Chris

#9 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

As an update, I padded it out and ran the reflasher, it said it completed.  I'm awaiting an answer from Fabien if there's a way of checking to see if the DAQ is truly flashed or not.

#10 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi everyone, 

If interested I have updated the Shield Base pinout to reflect the changes found in this Beta 5 update. You can find the post here: http://forums.netdui...ld-base-pinout/

Cheers,

Steve

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

As an update, I padded it out and ran the reflasher, it said it completed.  I'm awaiting an answer from Fabien if there's a way of checking to see if the DAQ is truly flashed or not.
As long as the file and size settings are correct, you should be good to go. The reflash sample app verifies that the data was written automatically. Chris

#12 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Happy dance!  Reflasher worked with the Nwazet DAQ!

#13 skobyjay

skobyjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

FLASHING WAS SUCCESSFUL. !!!

#14 Denisetoo

Denisetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Chris,

After I download the zipped file it is downloaded as one file, STM32ReflashApp.sln and one directory STM32ReflashApp.  When I click on the sln, I get an this in the output window.

"C:UsersDeniseAppDataLocalTempTemp2_ShieldBase_ManualUpdate_beta5.zipSTM32ReflashAppSTM32ReflashApp.csproj : error  : Unable to read the project file 'STM32ReflashApp.csproj'. 

C:UsersDeniseAppDataLocalTempTemp2_ShieldBase_ManualUpdate_beta5.zipSTM32ReflashAppSTM32ReflashApp.csproj: The project file could not be loaded. Could not find a part of the path 'C:UsersDeniseAppDataLocalTempTemp2_ShieldBase_ManualUpdate_beta5.zipSTM32ReflashAppSTM32ReflashApp.csproj'. Any suggestions on how I should actually upgrade?

Thank you, for your time.

"

#15 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

"C:UsersDeniseAppDataLocalTempTemp2_ShieldBase_ManualUpdate_beta5.zipSTM32ReflashAppSTM32ReflashApp.csproj : error  : Unable to read the project file 'STM32ReflashApp.csproj'. 

Looking at the path I'd guess that you are trying to run the project from the ZIP file.  If I'm right then have you tried to extract the zip into a directory and then open the solution in the extracted directory.

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#16 Denisetoo

Denisetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Looking at the path I'd guess that you are trying to run the project from the ZIP file.  If I'm right then have you tried to extract the zip into a directory and then open the solution in the extracted directory.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you so much Mark.  That worked.  I am back to hacking happily.

#17 Denisetoo

Denisetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

When deploying this flash application I do not get to this step:

3. When prompted, press the Netduino Go's onboard button to start the flashing process.

After starting to debug, F5, I get this, "The debugging target is not in an initialized state; rebooting..."

About five minutes  later I get the following in the output window:

Incrementally deploying assemblies to device
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 304080 bytes
Assemblies successfully deployed to device.
The debugging target and the debugger engine failed to initialize because of unspecified device errors.
The debugger engine thread has terminated unexpectedly with error 'Could not reconnect to the debugging target after rebooting it.'.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#18 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Denisetoo,

When you first start the debugger by pressing F5, it is normal to see the message "The debugging target is not in an initialized state; rebooting..." Assuming you have your Shield Base plugged into GoPort 5, you should see in a couples seconds later this message in your Output window just after some other debugging statements:

Module: Shield Base
Firmware: v0.4.0.0 beta 5
GoPort: 5

Press BTN to start.

At this point you press the button on the Netduino Go the app will flash your Shield Base. Then just continue following the steps listed at the beginning of the post. 

Regards,

Steve

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi Denisetoo,
Incrementally deploying assemblies to device Deploying assemblies for a total size of 304080 bytes Assemblies successfully deployed to device. The debugging target and the debugger engine failed to initialize because of unspecified device errors. The debugger engine thread has terminated unexpectedly with error 'Could not reconnect to the debugging target after rebooting it.'.
Please try again. If the app hasn't restarted after about 60 seconds, quickly unplug and re-attach the Netduino Go via USB. That should help Visual Studio re-connect. Chris

#20 Denisetoo

Denisetoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Chris.  It worked!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.