Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.2.2

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Version: 4.2.2 (version 4.2.2.0)

This firmware requires use of the .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK (QFE2) and Netduino 4.2.2.0+ SDK.

With this firmware, you will have the following resources available for your code:
384KB Flash
100KB+ RAM

This firmware includes the following updates:
1. Netduino Plus 1 projects can be upgraded without changing HardwareProvider (requires 4.2.2 SDK)
2. Now compatible with legacy SecretLabs AnalogInput and PWM classes (requires 4.2.2 SDK)
3. Bug fix: SPI chip select timing corrected
4. Bug fix: PWM frequency corrected
5. New: more reliable rebooting during deployment

This firmware also includes the previous updates:
1. Static IP now works (in addition to DHCP default)
2. MAC Addresses are now loaded by TinyCLR
3. Additional I2C bug fix--pins now forced into proper configuration

To find the current version of your Netduino firmware:
1. Go to the Start Menu > Programs > Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.2 > Tools
2. Run MFDeploy.exe. Be careful to run MFDeploy.exe and not MFDeploy.exe.config (as file extensions are hidden by default)
3. Plug your Netduino into your PC using a Micro USB cable.
4. In the Device section at top, select USB instead of Serial. Your Netduino should appear in the drop-down; if not, select it.
5. Select the Target menu, Device Capabilities option.
6. In the output box, find the "SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion" value. This is your firmware version.

To flash this firmware:
1. Detach your Netduino
2. Press and hold your Netduino's pushbutton while plugging it in via USB; this will put it in bootloader mode.
3. Erase the firmware on your Netduino using the STDFU Tester application
> a. Select the "Protocol" tab
> b. Press the "Create from Map" button
> c. Select the "Erase" radio button option
> d. Press the "Go" button
> e. Wait for erase process to complete
4. Flash the attached .DFU file using the ST DfuSe Demonstrator application (included with STDFU Tester)
> a. Locate the "Upgrade or Verify Action" pane (bottom-right pane)
> b. Press "Choose..." and select the attached DFU file
> c. Check the "Verify after download" option
> d. Press "Upgrade". It will take a few minutes to update your Netduino.
> e. Detach and reattach your Netduino (power cycle) or press "Leave DFU mode"

After flashing, to set your network settings using MFDeploy:
1. Select the Target > Configuration > Networking menu. Re-enter your IP address settings and MAC address.

Enjoy, and please let us know if you run into any troubles.

Chris

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

For users upgrading existing projects or code samples to Netduino Plus 2, we've created a few backwards-compatibility libraries.

These are included in the Netduino SDK v4.2.2 installer.

The new update also includes a cool new feature for Netduino Go, and the updated legacy AnalogInput and PWM classes now work with Shield Base too.

You can drop the attached zip files' contents into your "C:Program Files (x86)Secret LabsNetduino SDKAssembliesv4.2" folder on your PC if you'd like, and Visual Studio should automatically pull them in.

SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.AnalogInput.zip
Updated "legacy" AnalogInput class. Now works with all Netduino boards.

SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.PWM.zip
Updated "legacy" PWM class. Now works with all Netduino boards.

SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus.zip
Updated Hardware Provider for Netduino Plus. Combined with the updated AnalogInput and PWM DLLs, this enables you to simply redeploy your Netduino Plus projects to your new Netduino Plus 2 board. It will automatically remap all the Pins, SerialPorts, etc. to the correct header pins on your new board.

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback while you have been trying out your existing projects with the new Netduino Plus 2 hardware. We've been listening and working hard to enable a seamless upgrade experience wherever possible. This new board is pretty awesome, and we don't want you to have to rewrite a lot of code to take advantage of the new hardware.

Please continue sharing your experiences, and please continue helping us meet your expectations.

Chris

#3 Jean-Martin

Jean-Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Location[FR], Montreal, Canada

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thanks you Chris and your awsome team :)

Jean-Martin

#4 Alex W

Alex W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I posted on the I2C thread that I started, but this firmware appears to make my I2C issues a 100% repro instead of working in some scenarios and not in others.

I thought that I remembered a thread with instructions on running with NETMF 4.3.  Is that possible with this firmware?

#5 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Thanks Chris!!

I've been working on Pandora's Box software all day. I'll take some time and upgrade it tonight.  So far 4.2.1.0 has been working great with all the I2C sensors and I2C LCD.  I'll test out a few more of the features tomorrow and report back.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Hi Alex,
I posted on the I2C thread that I started, but this firmware appears to make my I2C issues a 100% repro instead of working in some scenarios and not in others.
Well, that's good. I like consistent repros :) We did test I2C on both 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 using a 7-segment shield with I2C temperature sensor. The difference that you're probably seeing with 4.2.2 is that we now enforce a hardware reset during deployment--so that the board behaves the same way as if it was powered externally (with the exception that a debugger is attached and taking a few MCU cycles). The most likely scenario for the I2C issue you're experiencing is related to timing or garbage collection; the second most likely is a timing issue (either in the application or in the firmware). Let's explore that further on the respective thread.
I thought that I remembered a thread with instructions on running with NETMF 4.3. Is that possible with this firmware?
You can run with VS2012 if you'd like. We're in early testing with NETMF 4.3 right now, but in the meantime VS 2012 can create NETMF 4.2 projects too. As we create NETMF 4.3 firmware for Netduino Plus 2, we'll pull in the latest and greatest enhancements from the 4.2 firmware. Chris

#7 iced98lx

iced98lx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Woohoo!  Just as I'm starting to work with my PWM outputs!

#8 QFAN

QFAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I erased my newly arrived Netduino Plus 2 with the STDFU Tester.

But now the ST DfuSe Demonstrator  crashes every time I try to run it.

Can anyone help me, please?

#9 QFAN

QFAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Solution to DfuSe Demo crash: 

Detach all external USB hubs from the PC, this application will not crash.

Found here: https://my.st.com/pu...urrentviews=870

#10 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Upgraded a few NP2 boards today, no problems detected...

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Hi QFAN,
Solution to DfuSe Demo crash:    Detach all external USB hubs from the PC, this application will not crash.
That's a great link; thank you. I have noticed that certain USB devices will cause DfuSe to have trouble starting up. If that ever happens to you, try unplugging any other attached USB devices (as you did with your hub). Chris

#12 John West

John West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

So I was having an issue before when using a 4 digit seven segment display via SPI.  The SPI bugs were hitting me hard.  Using the code below on the NP, things worked fine.  On the NP2, lots of bad signaling.  Well, with this new firmware, things are much better, and *almost* working.  The problem is that the digits are displayed, but it keeps losing the last one.  So if I write three bytes to the display, the first two are displayed, etc.  It's fairly consistent.  I don't think anything's wrong with my code, as it worked on the NP... could there still be some kind of timing bug that's preventing the last part of what's being sent via SPI from being received?  If my terminology/phrasing isn't quite right, it's because I'm not an engineer, I'm a software developer who's dabbling :).

Thanks,

John

Device config below...

device = new SPI.Configuration(

Pin, // SS-pin

false, // SS-pin active state

0, // The setup time for the SS port

0, // The hold time for the SS port

false, // The idle state of the clock

true, // The sampling clock edge

250, // The SPI clock rate in KHz

SPI_Devices.SPI1 // The used SPI bus (refers to a MOSI MISO and SCLK pinset)

);

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi John, What happens if you reverse the sampling clock edge? And if you change the setup and hold time to 1ms? The new STM32F4 chip is much faster than the SAM7X used on Netduino Plus 1...so the completion of SPI (and de-assertion of the SPI_SS signal) may be quicker. Chris

#14 John West

John West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I've tried 1ms and even 1000ms hold time, just to see what would happen.  I also tried reversing the clock edge.  No dice. 

I have not updated to the new DLLs above, would that make a difference?  I was going to wait until the official installation was released.  I didn't think that would make any difference in this situation, though. 

Any ideas?

#15 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

Hi John,
I have not updated to the new DLLs above, would that make a difference? I was going to wait until the official installation was released. I didn't think that would make any difference in this situation, though.
As long as the DLL versions in Visual Studio are 4.2.2 on the new DLLs, there's no difference. The SDK installer just makes it easier to make sure you get the right DLLs in the first place.
Any ideas?
Do you have a logic analyzer? Can you share a capture of the data, so we can see what your device is seeing? It may be that the STM32 is so much faster at de-asserting SPI_SS after transmission that the device is missing out on a byte. Also...for diagnostics purposes...if you pad your transmission with a zero byte at the end...does your device see the rest of the packet? Chris

#16 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Don't forget the source.  We use it, Luke!

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Don't forget the source.  We use it, Luke!
Ping me after we post the 4.2.2 SDK installer later this week, and I can upload all the source (including the libraries). We have pulled the Shield Base solution into the Netduino Plus 2 source tree, so that will be there too :) Chris

#18 testmonkey107

testmonkey107

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Is there a repository or just code downloads?

I realize it's not the 18th yet, but codeplex looks like it never got used.

#19 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Is there a repository or just code downloads?

I realize it's not the 18th yet, but codeplex looks like it never got used.

They are either posted as links in the forums or may be available on the Download's page http://www.netduino.com/downloads/

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

4.2.2 SDK just went live on the downloads page. We can post the source by the end of the week. The CodePlex site is in the process of being replaced, so please ignore that for now :) Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.