Service note: updates to forums - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Service note: updates to forums

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Just a quick note... We're working on some updates to the forums (including the software) over the holidays. IP.Board has discontinued support for Microsoft SQL Server, so this process involves a database migration to MySQL as well. We're doing all the updates on test servers, but IP.Board identification conflicts may cause certain features to come up and down during the process. We have users in almost every time zone worldwide so there's no good time to take things down...but we'll try to keep downtime to a minimum. Thank you for your patience during the brief construction. :) But more importantly... Happy holidays everyone! Chris

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Ooooooo - new theme....

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Looks like Santa made a stop here!

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Currently trying with my phone and the usability is dramatically improved. Definitely a step beyond! The only problem seen is about the foreign character encoding: they are not displayed correctly, and two wrong letters are shown instead. Good move anyway. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#5 Michal

Michal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

I like the new look of the forum.

National characters was not converted properly in posts writen before changing the theme. Let's try polish national characters in new theme: ??????????Óó?????? Micha?

(Update) It looks good for me.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Looks like Santa made a stop here!

And he's brought us a bunch of new features with the forum upgrade :)

Chris

#7 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

WOOOOOOOOOWwwww!. Your websites is cooled  Actually  I liked font colour, instead of grey colour.

I can see clearly and readability in forum sections. B)

#8 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Chris I really love the changes. There are too many great features added to list. Every time I do something in the forums I'm finding a new feature. Great job and thank you so much!

Steve

#9 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Okay, I found some issues, but I'd like to hear from someone else if that applies even to other people...

• In the editor pane (textbox), when I try to resize the editing area, the page gets crazy: it selects part of the graphics, and scrolls down. Experienced on Chrome, while works fine in IE10.
  • "IPS Community" is correct as title of the forum?
  • By hovering the user's name it appears a popup showing some user's info: on IE10 sometime the popup shadow gets scrambled, while shows always correctly on Chrome.

No more at that time.

Cheers

#10 Michal

Michal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Has anyone tried to upload new picture to his/her profile?

I was trying to upload the *.jpg file several times but I got only: "Failed to set a new photo".

Micha?

#11 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

New forum seems to work well with Palm OS browser. Shame about Android - I made three attempts to post here with two browsers and gave up. Can anyone recomend an Android browser that actually works? (7" tablet, 1 GHz single core, with Android 4.0.3) Paul

#12 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Paul,The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Android 4.0.4 seems to work ok. Standard browser

#13 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Seems ok Added edit. Using a goTab 7" el cheapo tablet running android ICS. Another edit via mobile theme.

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

Hi Paul,

New forum seems to work well with Palm OS browser. Shame about Android - I made three attempts to post here with two browsers and gave up. Can anyone recomend an Android browser that actually works? (7" tablet, 1 GHz single core, with Android 4.0.3)

I just think that it's pretty awesome you're using a Palm OS browser to read the forums :)

Were you able to get Android to work?  It seems like it's working for others...I'm not sure what version of browser is running with Android 4.0.3, but perhaps there's a free browser update available?

Chris

#15 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

<START RANT>

This is my third attempt to make this post:

First attemt using the default browser on my "el cheapo" (£80 a few months ago) tablet, when I click in the edit box to type, all the rest of the icons on the page disappear. I don't get any of the formatting icons for the edit box, and the "Post" button is no more. Most of the rest of the text on the page also goes, so I can't refer to anything anyone else has written.

(The default browser was just OK on the old forum as long as I did not try to use a USB keyboard.)

Second attempt using Firefox for Android, everything seems ok until I hit enter and the browser inserts a blank line before the one I am typing on, and the cursor goes up. Trying to reposition the cursor does not work, and eventually results in new typing going over the top of the first line I typed.

Third attempt on Windows 7 laptop using Firefox - fine, but the spell checker does not seem to be running (that might be my fault)

So I am still open to any suggestions for a better Android browser.

I had similar issues when I first started on this tablet and tried to use a USB keyboard with it. I found that every browser I tried handled the keyboard differently. For example, when I hit enter in Firefox, I would get a back space followed by a newline.

Overall this has been a bad first taste of Android. I just assumed that something with four (I think) times the clock speed of my Palm T|X and a nice big screen would be great for browsing the web. I can't see it will ever be a replacement for my Palm.

<END RANT>

I hope everyone else has spotted the new forum options for viewing new posts.

The one I particulary appreciate is the "Ones I have not read" option.

(Also down the bottom of the page there is a button to mark all as read, so all the posts from the past that currently show up as unread, can be set as read in one go.)

Have fun everyone - Paul

#16 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Also I noticed there's no link to the download section, nor to the Wiki.

Cheers

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi Mario,

Also I noticed there's no link to the download section, nor to the Wiki.

Cheers

Good point :)

We will be adding the standard netduino.com header and footer within the next week.  We wanted to make sure that the update went well first.  With the exception of a few browser issues (which should be fixed through browser updates or forums software updates by Invision Power) and one or two permission issues, it seems to be working well so far.  Crossing fingers :)

Chris

#18 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

no support for tapatalk ?

--
Asbjørn

#19 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

So I am still open to any suggestions for a better Android browser.

I had similar issues when I first started on this tablet and tried to use a USB keyboard with it. I found that every browser I tried handled the keyboard differently. For example, when I hit enter in Firefox, I would get a back space followed by a newline.

Overall this has been a bad first taste of Android. I just assumed that something with four (I think) times the clock speed of my Palm T|X and a nice big screen would be great for browsing the web. I can't see it will ever be a replacement for my Palm.

Hi Paul,

I generally use Chrome on my Galaxy 10 tablet and also on my S3. Both seem to be working great with the forums - though I haven't tried everything with it yet. 

Steve

#20 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hi Paul,

I generally use Chrome on my Galaxy 10 tablet and also on my S3. Both seem to be working great with the forums - though I haven't tried everything with it yet. 

Steve

HI Steve,

I used to use Chrome and it worked fairly well, until about a month or so ago when there was an update. Now I get "Unfortunately, Chrome has stopped" when ever I try and start it. Even after a factory reset and re-install!

I just tried Dolphin (recomended by a friend), that does the same as the default browser - half the page disapears when I try and add text to the reply box.

Given the others on this forum who have responded that their browser's are working, I think it must be this tablet that is at fault. I'll have to add "SUMVISION" to the home electronics black list.

Thanks everyone - keep unwrapping those presents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.