Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Beginner question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sgraves

sgraves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm just starting off in electronics and am coming from a basic stamp 2 which allows 20/25mA source/drain on each GPIO pin. It looks like most mini pins are limited to 8mA. Does the 8mA current limit apply to 5v regulated vss/vdd as well? I have an LED that works best around 15mA and was wondering if it would be safe to use on the regulated source.

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

yes you can use that from pin21. i use: random pin -> resistor (2kohm) -> transistor (bc 547/557) -> stuff. so nothing will burn and the led or whatever gets all the current it needs

#3 sgraves

sgraves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

yes you can use that from pin21.

i use: random pin -> resistor (2kohm) -> transistor (bc 547/557) -> stuff.
so nothing will burn and the led or whatever gets all the current it needs

Thanks. I was assuming 200mA for vdd/vss but wasn't entirely sure. Still making my way through the basics.

#4 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

i honestly dont know what the maximum for that pin is. i wouldnt use more than 200ma. since switching regulators are cheap as hell (and quite efficient) i use them for the power rails on my breadboard

#5 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Hello sgraves,

Welcome to the forums!

There is a wiki page by CW2 giving current limits for the family.

He has a figure of 800mA for the DC output. This is a lot, and you should note this is a maximum, and that the regulator on the board will get hot (especially it you have a higher suply voltage).

Again refering to CW2's page, there are infact two pins on the mini that can drive up to 16mA. You could use these without a transistor, but will still require a resistor.
Asuming the LED has aforward voltage of say 2V:
R = V / I = (3.3 - 2) / 0.015 = 86 ohms
Since resistors come in "preferred values", go for the next highest value - 91ohms.
I was going to post a link to a table of resistor values, but Android has decided to drop my cut and paste ability mid post.
Do a google search for "resistor prefered values"

Hope this all helps - Paul

#6 chizz

chizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPrestwick, Scotland

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Just for passing noobies,

"i use: random pin -> resistor (2kohm) -> transistor (bc 547/557) -> stuff."

works great,  but will logically invert the signal.

ie

myStuff.Write(1)   will give 0V

and

myStuff.Write(0)     will give 3.3/5V

bear it in mind!

#7 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

i do it the same way, good thing of not blowing something up :)

theoretically you can connect the transistors different so its no more inverted, but i also go the standard way. (inverting)

#8 sgraves

sgraves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm avoiding the vdd/vss/io pins altogether now and simply using a direct connection to the battery. I wound up using all the i/o ports anyways.

#9 Sigma7

Sigma7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

By the way...

The Basic Stamp 2 (BS2) can source/sink 20/25mA per PIO pin.. but only 40/50mA TOTAL (for 8 I/O pins) (per BS2).

The AT91SAM7X512 can only source 8mA per PIO pin.. but 200mA TOTAL.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.