Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Lost my MAC Address

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:05 AM

Somewhere along the line, a firmware upgrade cleared my N+'s MAC address - It is now 00:00:00:00:00:01. I'm sure this is a really simple question, but how do I reprogram my original MAC address into the device? And how do I prevent this from happening again?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:06 AM

Hi Charles, If you manually update your Netduino Plus through MFDeploy, the ER_CONFIG file will wipe out this info. To avoid this, don't flash the ER_CONFIG file. [Also, we're working on a program called Netduino Update which will automatically repopulate this data for you in the future.] For now, open up MFDeploy. Go to the Device menu, select Configuration > Network. Enter your new MAC address and IP settings there. Chris P.S. The MAC Address for your Netduino Plus is printed on a sticker on the back of your board. If you don't have the sticker any more, we can post a few MAC addresses here that you could use.

#3 gaibwm

gaibwm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

I did try as instruction above, but I got an error "Unable to erase configuration memory" See attachment gaibwm

#4 Nutz95

Nutz95

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hello,

On my side i'm using Netduino + V1, with firmware 4.2.0.1 update 1, and on my application i use 3 nd+ connected togather through ethernet.

board 1 acts as a data acquisition board.

board  2 acts as a display board

board 3 acts as a control board (buttons are attached to it).

Board 2 connects to Board 1.

And board 3 connects to Board 2.

On boot i use some delay in order to make sure the other boards are running.

SOmetimes it happens that my connect() call is hanging.

To avoid that i'm using some software watchdog to i need to reset programatically.

After the timeout period happens i do a

PowerState.RebootDevice(true);

With this my boards restarts and i can attempt to connect again.

Most of the time i don't need a restart but in some case i need it to avoid connection hang.

After a few restart i noticed that my module physical address of my board 3 is lost. ( when i check back i have the default mac address : 00-00-00-00-00-01)

Even if i reset the proper mac address after some time the board lost it.

What is does on my board 2, is that it kills my network comunication with board 3 and 1.

As my 3 boards are working togather if board 2 got it's network interface killed i need to reboot the 3 boards.

Even after the reboot as my board 3 has lost it's mac address the system stops working as soon as my board 3 starts to connect to my board 2 again.

Is it normal that the boards is loosing it's MAC address?

What can i do to avoid this stuff?

Can i setup programatically my board mac address at each start like this:

byte[] m_MacAdd = { 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06 };

networkInterface.PhysicalAddress = m_MacAdd;

some advice would be apriciated.

Thanks

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hi gaibwm,

I did try as instruction above, but I got an error "Unable to erase configuration memory" See attachment

Which version of the .NET MF SDK are you using? The new .NET MF 4.3 SDK's MFDeploy appears to have some issues setting config settings on boards running earlier firmware.

Can you try using our custom version of MDeploy?
http://forums.netdui...b-and-com1com2/

Chris

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

Hi Nutz95,

After a few restart i noticed that my module physical address of my board 3 is lost. ( when i check back i have the default mac address : 00-00-00-00-00-01) Is it normal that the boards is loosing it's MAC address?

That shouldn't happen, but if you can create a simple repro (<20 lines of code...or a code-less scenario where it happens) we'd love to take a look. It is most likely a glitch in the lwIP networking stack. [There's also a new version of lwIP coming in NETMF 4.3...but that's a little ways off still.] Chris

#7 johnstaveley

johnstaveley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi, I am having the same 'Unable to erase configuration memory' problem on my Netduino Plus 1 board. 4.2 firmware on the board running the 4.3 SDK. I have tried to use the custom MFDeploy as suggested above but this does not even recognise my board. Any suggestions?

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

Hi johnstaveley, Try erasing and re-flashing your mainboard. If MFDeploy 4.3 can't read/modify your configuration memory, then re-flashing the board will get it into a known-good state. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.