Building 2 automated vehicles using the WiFly - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Building 2 automated vehicles using the WiFly

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Good day everyone,

I've been having this idea for a while but never got a chance to actually work on it but I was wondering if I can make two automated vehicles using the N Go, N+ or N+2 with ultrasound, IR and tons of other sensors but eventually I would like both vehicles talking to each other, so they don't run into each others path, is that possible with the WiFly module reference below?

https://www.sparkfun.../products/10822

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

it is possible. these modules are for talking with each other - over tcp there are others too that use different techniqes. and some of them are way cheaper. to not crash each other, a simple approch would just be obstacle aviodance with the rangefinders wich is ok. that also dont need them communicating with each other. very cool would be teach the vehicles where they are (gps isent precise enought i think). like use ir leds as reference points so they can calculate where each is and tell the other one.

#3 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Good day everyone,

I've been having this idea for a while but never got a chance to actually work on it but I was wondering if I can make two automated vehicles using the N Go, N+ or N+2 with ultrasound, IR and tons of other sensors but eventually I would like both vehicles talking to each other, so they don't run into each others path, is that possible with the WiFly module reference below?

https://www.sparkfun.../products/10822

This may be helpful when looking at how to control the WiFly module.
NETMF Toolbox for WiFly

Chuck

#4 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Sure you can. There are a variety of communication solutions. You can use WiFly, XBee, NFC (Near Field Communications), RF Receivers/Transmitters (although you need pairs). Depending on the size of the Vehicle you can use two cheap wireless routers connected via Ethernet to the Netduino. Just depends how often you want them to communicate and in what proximity of each other.

I was watching a show on learning robots the other night and they had these little robots using NFC to communicate. This way the robots only exchanged information when they came near each other. It was a social experiment to see if the robots would learn to socialize.

As far as the sensors, I've used the Ultrasonic sensor from Parallax as well as many other sensors in my Pandora's box project that could easily be used for this kind of project. Most of these are easy to use.

#5 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

My two cents... I don't see the sense of any radio-sensor, because it is very difficult to use it as a locator. Even using a GPS sensor, its precision and its sensivity inside a building, probably won't give decent results. Moreover, those devices are pricey. Ultrasound could be an interesting way, but -again- not so reliable as directional sensor. Moreover, if you have animals, they would not appreciate all that noise! Why not infrared? They are cheap, pretty reliable, directional, and don't make any noise. Unless you use them in the (strong) sunlight, they're perfect for such a project. I really can't find any cheaper, yet effective way to create a comm-link between toy-devices. Hope it helps. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#6 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

My two cents...

I don't see the sense of any radio-sensor, because it is very difficult to use it as a locator. Even using a GPS sensor, its precision and its sensivity inside a building, probably won't give decent results.
Moreover, those devices are pricey.

Ultrasound could be an interesting way, but -again- not so reliable as directional sensor. Moreover, if you have animals, they would not appreciate all that noise!

Why not infrared?
They are cheap, pretty reliable, directional, and don't make any noise. Unless you use them in the (strong) sunlight, they're perfect for such a project.
I really can't find any cheaper, yet effective way to create a comm-link between toy-devices.

Hope it helps.
Cheers

Very good points Mario. I've seen small robots that have several IR emitters and detectors all the way around so regardless of their orientation they can transmit and receive.

#7 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Here is links:
car talks

V2V

specification:
communication

#8 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I was watching a show on learning robots the other night and they had these little robots using NFC to communicate. This way the robots only exchanged information when they came near each other. It was a social experiment to see if the robots would learn to socialize.

I have seen on tv on discovery channel and nasa channel. For v2v, there are using wifi device designed by Australian in 2007. The wifi usually from laptop It is not RF devices. There is special device for sensor ranging up to 1000m. The cheaper sensor are not allowed in automobiles. They are using arm11.

#9 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I have seen on tv on discovery channel and nasa channel. For v2v, there are using wifi device designed by Australian in 2007. The wifi usually from laptop It is not RF devices. There is special device for sensor ranging up to 1000m. The cheaper sensor are not allowed in automobiles. They are using arm11.

I believe the original idea is about toys (i.e. small scale vehicles), not *real* cars.
Very interesting, though. I hope this kind of projects won't trashed in this period of very bad cars' marketing.

NOTE. "RF" stands for Radio Frequency, so...theoretically *ANY* radiation-based link is RF. However, it commonly stands for frequencies ranging from some kHz to many GHz. Light, heat, and similar are not considered "RF", although they are radiance-based.

Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#10 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I believe the original idea is about toys (i.e. small scale vehicles), not *real* cars.
Very interesting, though. I hope this kind of projects won't trashed in this period of very bad cars' marketing.

NOTE. "RF" stands for Radio Frequency, so...theoretically *ANY* radiation-based link is RF. However, it commonly stands for frequencies ranging from some kHz to many GHz. Light, heat, and similar are not considered "RF", although they are radiance-based.

Cheers

I see you talking about toys not real cars.So sensor you are looking for HY-SRF05 or later. You can sourcing from China. It is very cheaper and wifi module too.
Mario, don't worry about me.....I'm electronics tech engineering

@stefan.
Very sorryPosted Image

#11 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Supra, could you try to use proper english? For non-natives it's more difficult to understand phrases/slang like "abt" (about) and "frm" (from). With "eng" you mean engineer?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#12 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Thanks everyone for their replies and for sharing such great information. I will start buying the Paralax Ultrasonic Distance Sensor which I believe is the same as the HY-SRF05 from a quick google images look up I did. My main goal would be for the vehicles to talk to each other with or without a WiFi router in the room. I want the vehicles to exchange information like for example: Let's pretend the room has an exit in it which only one car can fit thru it at the timet, so with the information that is exchanged between these 2 vehicles and using some artificial language routine, one car can decide to either go first or allow the other one to go first, then after one car has passed the exit point, then it will notify the other car who at the moment is waiting, to proceed thru the exit point. I think I read in the tech specs that the Wi-Fly support RF and can talk to another Wi-Fly wihout a WiFi router, is that possible?

#13 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thanks everyone for their replies and for sharing such great information. I will start buying the Paralax Ultrasonic Distance Sensor which I believe is the same as the HY-SRF05 from a quick google images look up I did.

My main goal would be for the vehicles to talk to each other with or without a WiFi router in the room. I want the vehicles to exchange information like for example: Let's pretend the room has an exit in it which only one car can fit thru it at the timet, so with the information that is exchanged between these 2 vehicles and using some artificial language routine, one car can decide to either go first or allow the other one to go first, then after one car has passed the exit point, then it will notify the other car who at the moment is waiting, to proceed thru the exit point.

I think I read in the tech specs that the Wi-Fly support RF and can talk to another Wi-Fly wihout a WiFi router, is that possible?

I have some code for the Ultrasonic (ping) sensor. I'll get that to you to give you a head start.

From what I've read the Wi-Fly modules support both adhoc and infrastructure connections so they should be able to talk directly to each other or a computer without the need for a WiFi Router using an adhoc connection.

#14 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

That would be great Dave, I am placing my order soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.