Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

How to tell Mini to auto start my app?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

I got blinky running on my Mini. Woohoo! Posted Image
However, when I unplug USB from the FTDI, or unplug the FTDI from the Mini and recycle power to the Mini, blinky does not automatically start.
What's the trick to make Mini automatically run my app?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hi hari, Your app should automatically start when you plug in your Mini--identical to the regular Netduino. Can you zip up your "blinky" project and post it here so I can try it? [As a quick sanity check, I just created a sample app, depowered and repowered my Netduino Mini...and the app boots properly.] Thanks, hari. Chris

#3 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

Are you sure you are powering it properly? Sounds like the mini is only running off the ftdi power, if that's even possible?

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

Are you sure you are powering it properly? Sounds like the mini is only running off the ftdi power, if that's even possible?

Bill,

For being 32-bit, the Netduino Mini uses surprisingly few mA. Especially without any LEDs to power.

But you bring up a good point--the FTDI adapter may not be able to supply enough power for the Netduino Mini _and_ connected components.

Chris

#5 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

I hope I didn't break the Mini, but this morning the LED isn't blinking anymore. Posted Image

Attached is the source. Also included in that folder are two text files showing what the terminal app receives upon powerup with DTR floating and DTR connected to pin 21 (5V).

EDIT: I attached a second DTR-float file, the one in the zip was empty for some reason.

I do not have any wire going from FTDI 3.3V connected to anything. Unless you meant that it gets power from FTDI TX/RX (which makes no sense to me).

BTW, if I disconnect the LED/resistor from pin 9 and tap it on 5V, LED still works.
Nothing on the Mini ever got hot, and no magic white smoke.

I'm puzzled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Q-mmCgKUA

Attached Files

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hi Hari, The DTR-float.txt file shows that the Mini is booting properly. The video is marked as "private" though...could you make it public? BTW, what power source are you using on VIN? Type/voltage/etc.? I love that you're already building something with your Netduino Mini... Chris

#7 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hi Hari,

The DTR-float.txt file shows that the Mini is booting properly. The video is marked as "private" though...could you make it public?

BTW, what power source are you using on VIN? Type/voltage/etc.?

I love that you're already building something with your Netduino Mini...

Chris

Oops sorry about the video. it's unlisted now, so you should be able to play it.
VIN is a 9V fresh battery. I use multitester to confirm 9V at pin 24 and 5V on pin 21.
I have a few ideas for the Mini, this is nothing but a blinky to learn about the pinouts. It was interesting to me how uncomfortable I was having to lookup everything because the Mini pinout is completely different than Arduino/Netduino.

The procedure for switching from rs-232 to uart was cool. is there a way to switch back?

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hari,

Your LED is using pin PA9 of the MCU instead of physical pin 9 on the Netduino Mini.

//instead of:
OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Cpu.Pin.GPIO_Pin9,false);

//use this:
OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_9,false);

There is a procedure to switch back to RS232. Actually, there three options. 1) You can re-program the "transport select" app and then use Putty/HyperTerminal to switch ports back. 2) You can use the upcoming "Netduino Update" app...more on that later. 3) You can also use the SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics.dll assembly--but it's something we're still building out on so its object model may change in the future.

I can add the "transport select" app and SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics.dll assemblies to the Netduino SDK source ZIP file if you'd like...

Chris

#9 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Your LED is using pin PA9 of the MCU instead of physical pin 9 on the Netduino Mini.

//instead of:
OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Cpu.Pin.GPIO_Pin9,false);

//use this:
OutputPort led = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_9,false);

Do'h! But I'm glad that I didn't kill the Mini.

I can add the "transport select" app and SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics.dll assemblies to the Netduino SDK source ZIP file if you'd like...

That would be nice. I may need that someday, but right now, I don't have an RS-232 cable.

Off to building something real now. Thanks Chris!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.