Alternative Purchasing Options for Netduinos - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Alternative Purchasing Options for Netduinos

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nobby

Nobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

I understand this might be a difficult ask because of how taxes and tariffs work in various countries but I was looking at being able to purchase Netduinos from overseas. There's only one reseller in my region and they have recently been 'less than helpful' with the loss of and expensive package. I would prefer not to do business with them anymore if possible and I'm a month or two away from a green light to purchase a commercial quantity of Netduinos for a client's project. I've tried using Amazon and a few other resellers and they have international shipment policies in place to prevent purchases for whatever reasons/structures you have in place with your distribution network. This has probably been asked in a few threads but have Netduino Plus 2's been shipped to most international resellers? I would be looking at moving my product's hardware platform from Netduino Plus to Netduino Plus 2 and would like to do an evaluation before buying a bunch.

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi Nobby, Which region do you live in? Also, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Is it a Netduino-reseller? If so, it may be good to know for Secret Labs which reseller.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Nobby

Nobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

Hi Nobby,

Which region do you live in? Also, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Is it a Netduino-reseller? If so, it may be good to know for Secret Labs which reseller.

I'd prefer not to put the particulars of the issue on the forum. Is there an appropriate email contact at Secret Labs I could shoot my email off to?

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

I'd prefer not to put the particulars of the issue on the forum. Is there an appropriate email contact at Secret Labs I could shoot my email off to?

I'm glad you feel so! Naming and shaming has never done someone good, I just wanted to know if Secret Labs should know ;)
You could send Chris Walker a private message, that's the fastest way to contact.

To get back on track;
I know a reseller in the Netherlands (www.floris.cc) who has all kinds of payment and shipping options. Would that help?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#5 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have used only Nwazet and Proto-advantage for all my stuff, both give you cheap delivery, and reasonable fast shipping. I'm always taxed on those purchases though, since Norway have this stupid customlimit, if it cost above 200NOK (about $32) I have to pay 25% on everything including shipping. When I bought an Arduino now, I tried to buy from the italy shop, kinda, to support buying from correct place, but they did not trust the postal system, so they required me to use an $77 UPS shipping. So, of course I bought it from Adafruit instead, which sold me the unit at proper price, and $9 in shipping :) Most of my electronic stuff is coming from the two above, pluss ebay, and adafruit.

--
Asbjørn

#6 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

It would be helpful if everyone filled in their location setting for the forum.
(I can understand not giving out birth date and email address, etc.)

In the UK I have had several sucessful orders with Hobbytronics
But, since nothing has gone wrong (unusual for me) I can't describe their aproach to problem resolution.
Looking at their website, they currently have Classic Netduinos (non-plus) and Netduino Minis.

Paul

#7 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Just a question, do you happen to know places where they carry hakko equipment?, I'm looking for some tips for my fx951 (T15 tips), and would rather not pay GBP24/USD39 a pop.. (that's for the cheapest ones..)

--
Asbjørn

#8 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Just a question, do you happen to know places where they carry hakko equipment?, I'm looking for some tips for my fx951 (T15 tips), and would rather not pay GBP24/USD39 a pop.. (that's for the cheapest ones..)

No - sorry I don't, never bought any of those. Looks nice but expensive.
Don't laugh, but my current soldering iron is a small gas powered one from Maplin.
It does the job, and I can take it where ever I want - maybe not on airplanes.
They tend to get a bit twitchy when you try and get on a plane with a bag of wires and tools.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

No - sorry I don't, never bought any of those. Looks nice but expensive.
Don't laugh, but my current soldering iron is a small gas powered one from Maplin.
It does the job, and I can take it where ever I want - maybe not on airplanes.
They tend to get a bit twitchy when you try and get on a plane with a bag of wires and tools.

They also don't tend to like people getting on the plane with gasoline fuel :)

Chris

#10 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

hehe, almost the same as my 2400C creme brulee burner then :) well, I'm just looking around to see if anyone else have stuff, luckily I found someone in US who sold the 951 for $240, in 220v version, here in Norway, I have to buy it from an company that sells only to business, and had to pay $730 something. The reason to buy this, is that I get it now cheaper than the fx888 here.. Do I need it?, no ofcourse not, but.. hey..

--
Asbjørn

#11 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

They also don't tend to like people getting on the plane with gasoline fuel :)

Chris

Sounds like there is a good story behind that comment....

#12 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

hehe, almost the same as my 2400C creme brulee burner then :)
well, I'm just looking around to see if anyone else have stuff, luckily I found someone in US who sold the 951 for $240, in 220v version, here in Norway, I have to buy it from an company that sells only to business, and had to pay $730 something.
The reason to buy this, is that I get it now cheaper than the fx888 here.. Do I need it?, no ofcourse not, but.. hey..

You got me searching and I found that ebay.co.uk are selling "Hakko" tips from Hong Kong.
They might be just what you need, or more likely they are very cheap knock offs made from what ever they had left over after making chewing gum wrappers.
But here is a link anyway.

#13 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

I have a few of those, they are actually good, but I need the t15 for this one, those tips are different, they have heater and sensor in the tip: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4abdbe10dc

--
Asbjørn

#14 Nobby

Nobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I have used only Nwazet and Proto-advantage for all my stuff, both give you cheap delivery, and reasonable fast shipping.
I'm always taxed on those purchases though, since Norway have this stupid customlimit, if it cost above 200NOK (about $32) I have to pay 25% on everything including shipping.

When I bought an Arduino now, I tried to buy from the italy shop, kinda, to support buying from correct place, but they did not trust the postal system, so they required me to use an $77 UPS shipping. So, of course I bought it from Adafruit instead, which sold me the unit at proper price, and $9 in shipping :)
Most of my electronic stuff is coming from the two above, pluss ebay, and adafruit.

I feel your pain. My country has horrible software tariffs with the USA. Our currency is stronger than theirs but my MSDN subscription costs me nearly twice as much as a US subscriber. I don't even order DVDs, just download everything.

#15 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

In the UK I can also vouch for Proto-Pic, Cool Components and SK Pang as I've used all of them and had no problems with the orders.

I have had one occassion to use technical support and that was with Proto-Pic and their support was fantastic. They even took the trouble to put together a rig to verify my problem. Not bad considering that particular order was only worth £20.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#16 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I feel your pain. My country has horrible software tariffs with the USA. Our currency is stronger than theirs but my MSDN subscription costs me nearly twice as much as a US subscriber. I don't even order DVDs, just download everything.

Yes, same for software here also, that is, the small companies lets us buy software without problems, but Adobe, Microsoft etc, is taking skyhigh prices for software because I'm in Norway, I have to use an US creditcard&adress if I wanted to get those prices.

OT: Just for comparision, and 35cl beer cost me around $10-12 at an bar.. :)

--
Asbjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.