Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Steps to restore an Erased Netduino

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 sweddle

sweddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Help.... 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. My new Netduino bricked after loading the Button-Blink code as well so I'm going to try the Erase and Restore via the SAM-BA as the MFDeploy does not work.. But I need to get the firmware-v410-patch as listed and linked to from this form but all I get is "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied." when trying to download it... Tried it from his post: http://forums.netdui...p__347#entry347 URL its sending me to: http://forums.netdui...e-v410-patch-1/ Shane

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

URL its sending me to: http://forums.netdui...e-v410-patch-1/

Here's the latest firmware:
http://forums.netdui...e-v410-patch-3/

Chris

#23 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

P.S. Have you tried to erase your Netduino app (by holding down the pushbutton on your Netduino...and then immediately pressing the ERASE button in MFDeploy)? Clean erase and restore should really be a "backup backup plan". Chris

#24 sweddle

sweddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the link and firmware... @Chris... Ya I have been trying the MFDeploy for some time with no such luck... I did see where others have had this happen if they use the code that monkeys with the button... I'm using the example code "pushing the button" in Projects, with slight mod to it of: { buttonState = button.Read(); Debug.Print("hello World"); Thread.Sleep(250); led.Write(!buttonState); } it works to delay the LED from lighting but after loading this I can no longer load or connect to my netduino.. I'll give SAM-BA tool a shot here in a bit, it does look to be a bit complex but it will make me feel all advanced and Geekie. Thanks for the help i'l let you know how it goes. Shane

#25 sweddle

sweddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Update... 1) 3.3V to pad under Pin 0 reset the Netduino just fine - Program I had on it stooped running.. - LED stays on all the time - It no longer shows up as a Netduino when plugged into USB. 2) Upon unplug and replug it wanted to auto install drivers for the chip. - C:\Program Files\ATMEL Corporation\SAM-BA v2.10\drv - Now it shows up as ATMEL chip. 3) Load the ATMEL SAM-BA app. - enable boot from flash. - enable flash access. - Send File (TinyBooterDecompressor.bin) - NO to "Do you want to lock involved regions." 4)Unplug and replug of USB it now shows up as Netduino. Woohoo I think this is good.. - The LED still stays on. - I try to ping no luck... hangs over time, never comes back.. have to kill app. - I select ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH.. - Deploy... Same thing, app hangs/never reports anything, I have to kill in task manager. So no luck in getting it back to 100% Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks Shane

#26 sweddle

sweddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

... any ideas? im going to try this on a dif PC tonight but if no luck will send back to SparkFun or Secret Labs, not sure who... Its just odd that it seams to work to 3.3V erase/zap then using SAM-BA it takes the TinyBooterDecompressor.bin after that it then shows up as a Netduino in MFDeploy again but yet MFDeploy cant communicate with it and the LED stays on all the time.. Anywho would love to get it up and running, my robots need to take over the would this weekend so I have alot of code to do between now and then, alot! :P Thanks Shane

#27 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

3) Load the ATMEL SAM-BA app.
- enable boot from flash.
- enable flash access.
- Send File (TinyBooterDecompressor.bin)
- NO to "Do you want to lock involved regions."
4)Unplug and replug of USB it now shows up as Netduino. Woohoo I think this is good..
- The LED still stays on.
- I try to ping no luck... hangs over time, never comes back.. have to kill app.
- I select ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH..
- Deploy... Same thing, app hangs/never reports anything, I have to kill in task manager.

Hi Shane,

Wait two seconds before clicking "NO' to the "want to lock regions?" question. Then, add two zeros to the "compare bytes" value--and verify that the bootloader was flashed correctly.

After that, unplug and replug your Netduino. If you press PING in MFDeploy, it _should_ say "Pinging...TinyBooter | Netduino by Secret Labs". If it doesn't, please PM me with a way to contact you and we'll get you up and running. If it turns out to be a defect of some sort, we can replace it for you.

Chris

#28 sweddle

sweddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the help! It's nice to see you guys are responsive and helpful, gives me even more hope for the development and success of the product, woohoo!

OK so I think I did the adding two zeros thing right in SAM-BA.(see screen shot)
Posted Image

- I then disconnected and reconnected the netduino.
- Opened MFDeploy.exe
- Selected netduino under USB.
- Ping.... (No dice)
- MFDeploy seems to hang but in Task manager it dose not state "not responding" if I let it set for about 20 min it will come back that it can not ping..

Note: I m now loading all the tools on another PC, who know maybe my MFDeploy or USB drivers are jacked...

-Will report my findings-

Shane

#29 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

sweddle, That looks right. Really odd. Let me know how things look on the other PC. If you're seeing the device listed as "Netduino" in the pull-down, it should respond. One other thing to try: when plugging the Netduino into your PC, hold down the pushbutton. Then, within 5 seconds, press PING in MFDeploy. Does that give you a "TinyBooter" message? Finally, make sure that no other programs are trying to talk to your Netduino. If a Visual Studio debugging session (for a Netduino) is running in the background, it will take back over the connection when you plug in your Netduino. Chris

#30 sweddle

sweddle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

-The Short and The Long- The Short: Don’t use Aggsoft’s “Advanced USB Port Monitor” with a USB device that uses the Micro .Net framework and MFDeploy.exe… They get in fights! The Long: So it’s all working fine and dandy now. I was able to fix my Netduino via a 2nd PC. The only thing I needed to use the 2nd PC for was MFDeploy to load the Netduino firmware (NetduinoFirmware_v4.1.0.3). I was able to use the SAM-BA app to do the low level stuff on the fist PC and therefore had not thought that the 1st PC was having any true problems. So after I got the Netduino working again on the 2nd PC I thought I would or could possibly via MFDeploy ping my Netduino. Nope still hangs, this is when I started to question if the Aggsoft’s USB app could have jacked with something that only MFDeploy need to use and nothing else… OK uninstall Aggsoft’s USB app, Reboot and wooohooo success MFDeploy Ping works like a champ. So whatever the Aggsoft’s USB app did MFDeploy and VS2010 USB deployment does not like it. This all came about because I bricked/looped my Netduino loading some code from Button-Blink example and needed to reset/erase it via MFDeploy, If all goes well I can get back to hunting that bug, woohoo! A BIG thanks to the Netduino team for their wonderful show of support! :D Shane P.S. As for my Netduino robot taking over the world this weekend, my wife said I got yard work to do first and my robot said no he won’t help… stupid robot stupid wife, what I need is a “Cherry 2000” that runs .Net, you guys working on those yet? :P

#31 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:21 AM

3. (**WARNING.. no turning back after this point.) Using a jumper, Connect the 3V3 power header to the ERASE pin (gold pad directly underneath digital pin 0) for about 2-3 seconds. After doing this, disconnect the Netduino from your PC.

5. Run SAM-BA. Select the COM port that your device is connected to. In my case this was COM4. Select AT91SAM7X512-ex from the dropdown.

In case it's helpful:

for step 3, here's a pic of the erase pad on my netduino plus:
Posted Image
and for step 5, did not have AT91SAM7X512-ex, but a -ek, so I picked that and it seemed to work fine.

#32 Luke

Luke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:53 AM

First, thanks for this walk-through, it was quite helpful. I managed to use SAM-BA on Windows 7 64-bit, but only after some finagling. The trick was to let it hit Windows Update looking for drivers. There's a device with published WHQL drivers that must use a similar microprocessor and it's detected as a virtual COM port called "GPS Camera Detect". This COM port worked fine for flashing.

#33 theTroll

theTroll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

Just want to thank you all for putting this together. Really just saved my bacon. tt

#34 elettrozero

elettrozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

What if, once selected port and device type and pressed "connect" samba window disappears, process is still running, but nothing moves ? Screw it, I', thru it

#35 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

What if, once selected port and device type and pressed "connect" samba window disappears, process is still running, but nothing moves ?

Screw it, I', thru it

It can take some time. Also, I've read people having troubles on 64-bit machines. Any chance you can try a 32-bit machine?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#36 elettrozero

elettrozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

It can take some time. Also, I've read people having troubles on 64-bit machines. Any chance you can try a 32-bit machine?

Didn't notice the reply.

I managed using xp VM with Windows Xp Mode.

#37 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Didn't notice the reply.

I managed using xp VM with Windows Xp Mode.

In that mode the driver is still loaded in the 64-bit environment, which is the actual problem.
I wrote an article about the driver in Windows 7 x64, how I got it working, perhaps it helps?
http://wiki.netduino...y-Netduino.ashx
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.