Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Oscilloscope Tutorials?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 H07R0D

H07R0D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

So I 'broke my teeth' on Netduino in the micro world. Got hooked, and haven't looked back.

I've recently got my hands on a LeCroy Wavejet 312 Oscilloscope from an Electrical Engineer friend, and I'm really excited.
But I have NO IDEA how this thing works.

Some very quick googling has returned not much good stuff, so I was hoping to pick your collective brains.
I don't even know where to start with this thing:
  • What can I do with it?
  • How do I use it?
  • Are there any very simple examples you may know of?
  • I have a rotary encoder, and I would like to watch the detents change, can I do that with a scope?
Any help would be awesome, as I feel this will definitely help me improve my skills in the hardware world.

P.S. Please Please Please let me buy a N+2 in Canada!!

#2 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

http://afrotechmods....cope-tutorials/

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Have you tried the Getting started guide? I guess the best way is to ask your friend for 10-minute introduction/demonstration. The basic control of an oscilloscope is almost universal, it is the details which make the difference. To inspect rotary encoder waveforms, you'd need to do something like

• Attach two probes to the oscilloscope, channel 1 (usually yellow) and channel 2 (usually cyan),
  • Connect each probe tip to the encoder output, ground wire to the circuit ground,
  • Enable both channels by pressing buttons "1" and "2", if not done already,
  • For each channel set horizontal scale to about ten milliseconds per division, set vertical scale to about one Volt per division,
  • Set trigger to falling or rising edge, source channel 1 or channel 2, level to about 2 V (not really important),
  • Start capture with Auto, Normal or Single button.
You can do a lot of things with such device Posted Image

#4 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Connect each probe tip to the encoder output, ground wire to the circuit ground

And watch this video before you try to use it as a multimeter.

:) Do not watch more that one video from this site per day, you end up talking like this guy if you do...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.