Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Introducing Netduino Plus 2

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#81 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hi Andy, Check out the Mono Bootloader sample in the Mono forum. It loads assemblies into AppDomains, from an SD card, on the fly :) Chris

#82 Jair

Jair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi, i have a question about netduino plus 2. the board support system.http and system.ftp .net micro framework 4.2 library? Thank you

#83 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

We let resellers know about Netduino Plus 2 this morning, and they've already started asking for boards. Netduino Plus 2 should start arriving at European and African resellers by next weekend.

I emailed three suppliers in the UK, Cool Components, Proto-Pic and SK Pang. All three indicated that they would have stock soon:
  • Cool Components - 16th Nov - 21st Nov
  • SK Pang - 16th Nov
  • Proto-Pic - 13th/14th Nov

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#84 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hi Jair,

i have a question about netduino plus 2.

the board support system.http and system.ftp .net micro framework 4.2 library?

Yes, absolutely. And with 384 KB of code space, adding these assemblies to your project is no problem: you'll still have 100s of KBs of code space left for your application.

Chris

#85 ImplicitSystems

ImplicitSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLake Havasu City, AZ

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Bummer. I got the device but I cannot ping it in MFDeploy nor push an app via debug. I made sure that I am on MF 4.2.1. I have been run windows 8 64 and VS10 pro with the ND1. I plug in the ND2 it shows up but no talkie. I unplugged it and the computer crashed. the ND1 did a similar thing with 4.1 but I was still able to ping and deploy with an occasional crash when unplugged. this could be me being lazy and not detaching the USB device.

This is what I get in MFDeploy :Error: No response from device

yet it is in the dropdown list as the ND2.

When I tried initially I had both plugged in and both did show up. I deployed an app with no success to the ND2. I then unplugged it and the computer crashed.

It appears that the ND1 loads three driver files from 8/12 (v6.1.7601.17514) whereas the ND2 is loading MFUSB_Netduino.sys only from 4/10 (v4.2.0.0)

90 percent stoked and 10% bummed.

Any ideas? Lost the firmware? need to re-flash?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy

#86 Spork

Spork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

Just wanted to join the chorus and say that I'm happy to see the NP2 announcement. When the STM32F4-based Go was announced, I was worried that firmware development for the AT91SAM7X-based NP would suffer as a result of it being based on "the old platform". Whether nor not my fears were well-founded, the NP2 eliminates them. I'll certainly be buying one.

#87 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Woot! A Netduino Plus 2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nzw1t00Vnk

Aside from the obvious fact that seeing the LOL shield on the Netduino rocks, I am also fascinated with the special edition blue headers and LEDs. B)

As usual Stefan, great demo. Now I just need to find me some of those headers...;)

#88 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

Aside from the obvious fact that seeing the LOL shield on the Netduino rocks, I am also fascinated with the special edition blue headers and LEDs. B)

I cannot speculate on where Stefan might have gotten the special Netduino-blue stackable headers. :unsure:

But I imagine that they will probably come with new Netduino shields :)

Chris

#89 Venkat Kaniti

Venkat Kaniti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

Great Chris., However this is a good news and a bad news as well to me. Good News: Improved ND+ Bad News : I purchased my ND+ just few days ago. :(

#90 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

90 percent stoked and 10% bummed.

Any ideas? Lost the firmware? need to re-flash?

Let's try to get stoked up to 100% here and get your board running at 100% to match :)

The first thing I will ask you to do is erase and reflash your board (using the instructions at the top of the "Netduino Plus 2 v4.2.1 firmware" sticky post in this forum). This will get us back at square one so we can diagnose any potential driver issues or conflicts.

Once you do that, please reboot your computer and then open up MFDeploy. Select USB transport and you should see "NetduinoPlus2_Netduino". Then press Ping and please let me know what you see.

Chris

#91 stotech

stotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

What are the odd's that the old AREF pin. Now just blank. Is enabled to do anything in the future such as general IO. Or is it not connected to anything? Thanks.

#92 caEstrada

caEstrada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

static void main() { Bool Reality; Reality = NetDuinoPlus2>NetduinoPlus; Bool BestRegards=true; }

#93 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Hi Grant,

What are the odd's that the old AREF pin. Now just blank. Is enabled to do anything in the future such as general IO. Or is it not connected to anything?

There's a long history behind the AREF pin :)

We originally included the AREF pin on Netduino and Netduino Plus. But what almost all users really wanted was an internal AREF, since they were powering their analog sensors from the 3V3 header. We also found that Arduino shields could drive >3.3V on the AREF pin, potentially causing damage to the Netduino.

So we quickly made a "Rev B" of Netduino and Netduino Plus, and we switched the internal AREF on by default. We included a nice analog switch which would let us switch between the internal and external AREF and...almost zero people ever switched to external AREF.

With the new Arduino R3 layout, Arduino has hit a bit of a problem: different chips have different valid AREF voltage ranges. So any value other than 3V3/5V doesn't work really well across boards.

And of course...almost everyone wants an internal AREF anyway. And with the bulk smoothing caps on the Netduino Plus 2's and Shield Base's 3V3 rail, the 3V3 header is the perfect source for both our internal AREF and your analog sensors.

So with Netduino Plus 2 (and Shield Base) we removed the external AREF. Internal AREF is now the standard, and like with Netduino Rev. B users don't have to worry about damaging their microcontrollers by plugging in an Arduino shield which drives too much power on AREF.

We left the pin blank so that there was no confusion that it was an empty pin. We don't want to mess up Arduino's shield standard, but if they ever replace the AREF pin with a GPIO...we can add one there too.

In the meantime, Netduino Plus 2 does have 2 new GPIOs...on the SDA/SCL pins.

Chris

#94 stotech

stotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

Wow. Thanks for the detailed response. It's very clear now. Grant

#95 Novice Alex

Novice Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi Chris, Firstly, I like to congrats on your latest N+2 which I have been waiting for a long long time. Just like to check is there any other reseller other than the 3 listed on your site? So far, looks like only Amazon has stocks, but it "refuse" to do shipping to Singapore. Any chance from other resellers? Regards, Alex Chan

#96 Dano142

Dano142

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

So does this mean we can include System.Ftp.dll and System.Http.dll and not have to write our own ftp and web servers? Please tell me this to be so and I'll buy 10 right now!

#97 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi Alex,

Firstly, I like to congrats on your latest N+2 which I have been waiting for a long long time.

Just like to check is there any other reseller other than the 3 listed on your site? So far, looks like only Amazon has stocks, but it "refuse" to do shipping to Singapore. Any chance from other resellers?

Thank you very much :)

In North America:
5Hz Electronica should have stock this week.
CanaKit should have stock within a week.
MakerShed, SparkFun, and Vetco should have stock next week.

In Europe:
Cool Components, Floris.cc, SK Pang, and UAM should all have stock within a week.
iPrototype and Electrokit should have stock next week.

In Africa:
NET-RAM got their stock this morning.

Chris

#98 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi Dano142,

So does this mean we can include System.Ftp.dll and System.Http.dll and not have to write our own ftp and web servers? Please tell me this to be so and I'll buy 10 right now!

Yes, that's exactly right :)

With 384KB of flash, you have plenty of room for managed code assemblies. Even after including System.Ftp.dll and System.Http.dll, you will still have 100s of KB left for your app :)

Chris

#99 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Better Late then never... Just finally got around to ordering a handful of ND+2 from Amazon today. Can't wait to get them and start playing. Since many of you have started playing already and I have to sit down and catch up on the ND+2 forum conversations.... is there anything I need to do right out of the box (other than show them some love :P)? Software update, etc?

#100 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi Dave, yes, make certain you have the Netduino SDK 4.2.1.0 installed (see my woes), http://forums.netdui...lus-2-problems/ The post #6 by Chris gives the link which I completely missed. The issue of MFDeploy not updating the network configuration is still under study by Chris and has not yet been resolved. I am up and running now, I just can't set the network the way I want. Baxter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.