Netduino Book - Getting Started with the Internet of Things - Page 2 - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Book - Getting Started with the Internet of Things

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 VE3James

VE3James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi I'm trying to follow along with this book but getting discouraged. None of the meaty examples work for me, always ending in a similar error. This part of the program is identifide by debug. I'm just a beginer but I've put some effort into this. I hope it's ok to post this from the book.

Attached Files

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hi VE3James,

I'm trying to follow along with this book but getting discouraged. None of the meaty examples work for me, always ending in a similar error. This part of the program is identifide by debug. I'm just a beginer but I've put some effort into this.
I hope it's ok to post this from the book.

Have you set up your Netduino Plus with an IP address on your local network?

By default, it will try to get a dynamic address, but if for some reason that doesn't work you can set a static IP address as well.

A good follow-up diagnostics step is to try to ping your Netduino Plus from a computer on your network.

Welcome to the Netduino community; let's see if we can get you up and running!

Chris

#23 VE3James

VE3James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

Hi Chris I checked out those ideas as well as I can. I don't know the colour codes in the IDE and debuger, but I think that the greyed out term <Steam> means that it's unreferenced anywhere else? I'm thinking now that it's not covered in the Using System.IO . Is there another include I can try for that? or a place to look for it? Thanks for the help and incouragement Chris. I'm needing it. James

#24 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

Hi James,

did you try out the non-Internet examples of the book, such as BlinkingLed? Did they work?

As for the Visual Studio references that are needed in the later examples, maybe you could try out downloading the complete VS projects from my Web site www.gsiot.info/download. They should have set up all references etc. correctly.

Cuno

#25 VE3James

VE3James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi Cuno The non internet examples are fine and work as they should and examples from book and your web site are consistant. Can I suggest that my security software is overly active or there is an issue with my router? Thanks so much for your help. James

#26 DaveAZ

DaveAZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Try running the diagnostic program given on this page: http://www.gsiot.info/download/
(it's the 2nd download)

That helped me determine that dhcp wasn't assigning the address correctly so I switched to a static IP address.

The diagnostic program now runs properly for me. The problem I'm having now is that when I run the HelloPachube
program (the first program example in the book that connects to the internet), it stops after one time through the loop with the output as follows:

The thread '<No Name>' (0x2) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
sleep for 18130 ms

new message: voltage,1.06
time: 01/01/2009 00:20:40
memory available: 21528

I do see the values were successfully sent to Pachube so the internet connection is working.

I noticed that if I decrease the sampling period from 20 sec to 5 seconds the program runs does more transmissions, one every 5 seconds, but then it eventually stops as well after a minute or less. If I set it to 10 seconds it runs for a few transmissions but then also stops.

Dave

#27 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hi Dave,

if DHCP didn't work correctly, maybe it's a problem with older firmware. Does DHCP work for you with the 4.1.1 beta? If not, Chris would certainly be very interested to learn about that.

I had similar problems with the Pachube examples last year, i.e., a couple of samples have been sent to Pachube successfully, and then the program seemed to stop. But this was with a prototype Netduino Plus, one of the first ten built. After I switched to production boards, I didn't see this problem anymore.

But before betting on a hardware problem, I would try out the 4.1.1 beta firmware, which btw. exhibits the ONBOARD_SW1 behavior that I describe in the box on page 19, unlike earlier versions of the firmware.

Best regards

Cuno

PS
Pachube may still accept new samples every five seconds as they used to do. But officially, they switched to a minimum sampling rate of 12 seconds for free accounts.

#28 DaveAZ

DaveAZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hi Cuno, upgrading the firmware, as you suggested, corrected both the DHCP problem and the "stops running" problem I was having..thanks! Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.