Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

What drives your passion?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hey everyone,

If you're like me, you love your Netduino's. And here’s why.

I recall rallying a few of my friends together when I was 11 and setting up work stations in my parents basement with a wide assortment of broken and discarded electronic devices; toasters, radios, RC car, and even what I discovered some years later, a lawnmower carburetor. My lofty goal was to align three eager friends and all of their rich electronic knowledge, and create a life size autonomous robot. We were amazed with all of the wires and circuitry, and dreamt of a master piece that would be marveled by our jealous friends. Unfortunately due to budget cut backs, and strict fiscal constraints imposed on us by our parents, our project plan was drastically scaled back to that of an RC car with a box on it.

Throughout my youth, and adult life, there have been few devices that have escaped the wrath of my curiosity and the sting of my screwdriver. As a young student I thought I'd set out to a foreign Province and follow my passion for electronics, signing up to learn Electronics and Electrical Technology and Engineering from the University College of Cape Breton. Sadly, due in part for the locals penchant for partying, but mostly for the overabundance of boring theory and few practical applications, I only finished a single year. I had still yet to make my robot.

Over the years I have tried a few development platforms, but with little cash, most were too hard to break into. The closest I got was with the PIC microcontrollers, but my lack of C knowledge, and electronic theory (my past sins haunting me), I placed it all in a box, and stored it in a dark corner of my basement. Packed with it, my broken dreams. I have also dabbled with Lego Mindstorms and toyed with WiMo, but never really amounted to much success.

But then one day, not long ago, I stumbled upon the Netduino website. My eyes immediately grew big and bright. Here was this electronics platform built upon a language that I could understand, used my favourite IDE, was easy to use, and was absolutely affordable. Much to my wife's dismay, I was hooked! In the past year I have learnt so much from this community. The chat room, the forums, and it's members, many of whom I now consider close friends, have provided me with the knowledge that I have been wanting to have for a very, very long time. The Netduino boards have been incredibly easy to use and have opened a whole new world for me, one that I have dreamt about since a child. I have still yet to create my autonomous life size robot, but I've been having so much fun learning, that day will just have to wait.

And for that, the Netduino development boards will be getting my vote on the Hack a Day website. If you enjoy your Netduino’s as much as I do, then pass the word along and let the hacking world know what development board you prefer and why. To do this, drop by the Hack a Day website (which I might add receives an habitual visit most days) and post a comment in this thread, or email them directly at boards@hackaday.com. Let them know how Netduino has empowered you with the freedom to create amazing electronics projects and how it drives your passion. :)

Vote here: Tell us what development board you love

Cheers,
Steve

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hi Steve, Thank you for the link, and also for sharing your story. Tens of thousands of developers use Netduinos...thank you for sharing some Netduino love with hack-a-day. :) Chris

#3 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Steve, Great story, you ever consider writting a book? I voted. :) Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.