Get Exception message trying to use 2 Shield Bases - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Get Exception message trying to use 2 Shield Bases

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

Hi! Get Exception message trying to use 2 Shield Bases $exception {System.Exception: Only one shield base can be used simultaneously in this beta.} System.Exception Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks Eugene

#2 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

Hi!
Get Exception message trying to use 2 Shield Bases

Only one shield base can be used simultaneously in this beta.

You can only use 1 shield base at a time for now.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hi Eugene, We'll remove the one-Shield-Base restriction after we switch it over to the GoBus SPI transport. That should happen later this fall. Chris

#4 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

Hi Eugene,

We'll remove the one-Shield-Base restriction after we switch it over to the GoBus SPI transport. That should happen later this fall.

Chris

Is it going to be with bus 2?

Actually, Chris, when are you going to release the libraries for Gadgeteer extension you gave me on Maker Fair?

Thanks

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hi eplaksienko,

Is it going to be with bus 2?

Actually, Chris, when are you going to release the libraries for Gadgeteer extension you gave me on Maker Fair?

Thanks

We're working on the SPI transport for GoBus 1.5 right now. It should be out later in the year. All the GoBus 1.5 gear will be compatible with GoBus 2.0 as well.

The beta program for the Gadgeteer Adapter will start next month. We'll be gathering performance metrics to make sure that we're happy with the performance metrics and then will move it out of beta.

Chris

#6 eplaksienko

eplaksienko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Hi eplaksienko,

We're working on the SPI transport for GoBus 1.5 right now. It should be out later in the year. All the GoBus 1.5 gear will be compatible with GoBus 2.0 as well.

The beta program for the Gadgeteer Adapter will start next month. We'll be gathering performance metrics to make sure that we're happy with the performance metrics and then will move it out of beta.

Chris

If you need some testing you may count on me

#7 GregR

GregR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationKeller, Tx

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hi eplaksienko,

Chris

It's really going to suck if this Gadgeteer Adapter comes out of beta before the Shield Base does...I think I will abandon all of this if that is what happens. Seems like the Shield Base keeps getting put on the back burner for all of the newly announced stuff. I would like to see the Shield Base become fully functional before the Gadegeteer Adapter. Yes...as you can see...I am frustrated.

Greg

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hi GregR,

It's really going to suck if this Gadgeteer Adapter comes out of beta before the Shield Base does...I think I will abandon all of this if that is what happens. Seems like the Shield Base keeps getting put on the back burner for all of the newly announced stuff. I would like to see the Shield Base become fully functional before the Gadegeteer Adapter. Yes...as you can see...I am frustrated.

Thank you for sharing you feelings.

Did you have a chance to check out the last two Shield Base betas (including the one that shipped yesterday)? Most of the features are up and running now...we're nearing feature-complete.

Quick tech note: the Gadgeteer Adapter is actually using the native code version of the Shield Base firmware. They should both be coming out of beta at the exact same time.

When the Gadgeteer Adapter beta starts, we'll be providing matching Shield Base firmware too.

Chris

#9 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Quick tech note: the Gadgeteer Adapter is actually using the native code version of the Shield Base firmware. They should both be coming out of beta at the exact same time.

I haven't actually looked at the documentation, can't seem to find where netduino/go/beta/special stuff is located, or if the docs i want is released, a hint here could be to use the Chat, there are a lot of stuff out there that is not officially released. :-)

Bu from above, i sse the Shield Base and the Gadgeteer adapter as the same thing, with different physical layouts, and probably also some different enums to make things easier for the programmer.

Am i right ?

#10 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Am i right ?

For a big part, I think you're right. Both will provide specific pins with their features to the mainboard in a simular way. So that's the same.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hi Lunddahl,

I haven't actually looked at the documentation, can't seem to find where netduino/go/beta/special stuff is located, or if the docs i want is released, a hint here could be to use the Chat, there are a lot of stuff out there that is not officially released. :-)

All the production code is published, along with much of the beta code. The beta code is spread out a bit, but we'll be consolidating some of that into the new public repository soon as well.

If you'd like to dig into any particular feature, just let me know which one...and we can point you at the right source to explore. Exploring is a lot of fun.

Bu from above, i sse the Shield Base and the Gadgeteer adapter as the same thing, with different physical layouts, and probably also some different enums to make things easier for the programmer.

The Shield Base also uses a higher-end STM chip which offers more features and 5V tolerance. That's critical for compatibility with Arduino shields.

And yes...the virtualization design of GoBus does make it so we can treat the Gadgeteer Adapter and Shield Base as two variations on the same theme. They're I/O expander modules...and the magic happens in software. This capability enables community members to create additional expanders/adapters as well.

Chris

#12 indimini

indimini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Will Shield Base support NETMF 4.2's OneWire implementation coming out of Beta? I have a project that requires OneWire, but right now the OneWire doesn't work. Or, is this an area where I would leverage a NetGadgeteer module and GHI libraries for OneWire? Sorry - just still confused on what I can or cannot leverage in 4.2 with Shield Base.

#13 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hi indimini,

Will Shield Base support NETMF 4.2's OneWire implementation coming out of Beta? I have a project that requires OneWire, but right now the OneWire doesn't work. Or, is this an area where I would leverage a NetGadgeteer module and GHI libraries for OneWire?

OneWire isn't an official feature for Shield Base...but it's something we could add for sure.

The Gadgeteer Adadpter might be able to support that as well.

Would that be interesting for others as well?

Chris

#14 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

On behalf of the 12 or so people who were in the thread about One-Wire on the Netduino sub-forum. Yes.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#15 indimini

indimini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Add me as a definite for wanting this. Posted Image I still don't understand why, when it is part of the standard 4.2 NETMF build, Go doesn't support it.

#16 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

For me it's very interesting, my problem is that i have to interface with DS18B20 temp sensors, i can't use others, because the DS18B20 it the one one i can get prefitted in a metal cylinder on the end of a cable, waterproofed.

Currently i use an 3.3V Arduino Pro Mini to read the sensors, and my hope is to read from my "module" via Serial on the shield base.

That's why i wanted a TLL level Serial Port GoBus module, rather than the RS-232 level one you are developing, much simpler and cheaper than the shield base.

We have some very basic ways to communicate in the world of electronics, TLL level Serial, SPI and I2C are probably the most popular. My dreams is to leverage the STM8S and make one small and inexpensive Go module, 2 x Serial, SPI and I2C.

But unfortunately i don't have the knowledge to do it well...

#17 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

For me it's very interesting, my problem is that i have to interface with DS18B20 temp sensors, i can't use others, because the DS18B20 it the one one i can get prefitted in a metal cylinder on the end of a cable, waterproofed.

I also want it for the ds18b20, but there are alternatives though, Thermocouples, RTD/PT's, there are some here:
http://www.auberins.com/
https://www.brewershardware.com
there exists also some lm35's in the same package somewhere.

--
Asbjørn

#18 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

I also want it for the ds18b20, but there are alternatives though, Thermocouples, RTD/PT's, there are some here:
http://www.auberins.com/
https://www.brewershardware.com
there exists also some lm35's in the same package somewhere.

LM35 is analog, so you will have to build some kind of calibration into your project, the problem here is cabling, an LM34/LM35 with an unknown cable is unusable, PTC100 or PCT1000 are simple resistors, while you can get them very precise and pre calibrated, you will have to use differential measurements to get rid of the cable influence, or build in calibration in your project.

Thermocouples is not very good in water simply because water does not get much hotter than the boiling temp of water, and that's far below the range thermocoubles is good for, they are also quite expensive if you want high quality, the same goes for PTC100/1000.

DS18B20 is simply just fucking nice, besides the interface, but it's hard to get more pins into a TO-92 package.

But hey, we might see a Arduino Go in the future:

Gobus - STM8 - Serial TTL - Arduino - Pins/wire - Whatever you want...

- Ulrik Lunddahl

#19 GregR

GregR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationKeller, Tx

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

I think the bigger point is what indimini stated about OneWire support: "I still don't understand why, when it is part of the standard 4.2 NETMF build, Go doesn't support it." Greg

#20 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

I think the bigger point is what indimini stated about OneWire support: "I still don't understand why, when it is part of the standard 4.2 NETMF build, Go doesn't support it."

There's a core NETMF, and some additional modules. The full package doesn't fit on most micro controller boards. So there are choices to be made. It is possible though, to download the firmware source, enable onewire, and compile it yourself, as a custom build.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.