Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Powering from 5V power supply

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi, I'm affraid it is not possible, but...: Can I power a netduino mini from a 5V power supply, directly? (Without using additional components like a DC-DC converter)

#2 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yes.

You can connect 5V power into the USB connector, or into the gnd & 5V pins.

Have a read of this recent post: Powering a Netduino plus

Have fun - Paul

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

I'm affraid it is not possible, but...: Can I power a netduino mini from a 5V power supply, directly? (Without using additional components like a DC-DC converter)

To follow up on what Paul said...yes, you can power your Netduino Mini from a 5V power supply as long as it's a regulated power supply. Just use the 5V and GND pins on the right side and you should be good to go.

Chris

#4 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the info. The tech specs page says 7.5 - 12.0 VDC, so I thought 5V isn't possible.

#5 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

If you look at the pin out cards in the Wiki you will see the following pin assignments: 21 - 5V (in and out) 22 - Ground 23 - Unreg (7.5-12V) You have two options, firstly provide7.5-12V on pin 23 and the Mini will use the inboard regulators to generate power and will output 5V on pin 21. Alternatively, you can supply 5V regulated power to pin 21 and the Mini will draw power from that pin. Hope this helps clarify why there are two options. Regards, Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#6 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Nevyn, now it's 100% clear.

#7 patduino

patduino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

I've been powering my Mini for some time with an old 5V Motorola cell phone charger through the Vin pin with no problems. It may be more correct to use the 5V pin though... It took me a while to learn that it was both an input and an output.PS, those old cell phone chargers work great, and I've accumulated dozens of them over the years :-)
There are 10 types of people in the world... Those that can understand binary and those who can't.

#8 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

I've been powering my Mini for some time with an old 5V Motorola cell phone charger through the Vin pin with no problems. It may be more correct to use the 5V pin though... It took me a while to learn that it was both an input and an output.PS, those old cell phone chargers work great, and I've accumulated dozens of them over the years :-)

It would be better to use the 5V pin or USB input. There is a regulator between the Vin pin and the 5V rail; even though the input is already 5V this regulator will result in a small voltage drop.

I have a stash of old phone chargers waiting for service in new gadgets, but they never seem to be the right voltage when a need arises!

Be careful when using recycled chargers, they are built as cheap as possible and probably only just meet the ratings written on them. You may find that as your project takes more current, the voltage drops or it becomes unstable / has a ripple on it.

Paul

#9 boez52

boez52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

What is the max current the 5V pin can handle when powering the board from it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.