Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Black line path

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Asymptot

Asymptot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi, I am currently building a line-follower. The robot passed the nominal tests on a small black line drawn on a sheet of paper (can detect the line correctly, and switch wheels speeds accordingly). Now i would like to try a field test. What would be the best way to have a black path on a white floor? Black line drawn on white paper? Black line drawn on foldable laminated poster board? Black adhesive band on paper? Is there any "ready to print" paths somewhere? Sorry if the question is a bit out of topic. But if the line follower works, it'll pay off, and I'll have something to show in the "Project showcase" section. Thank you for your answers, Farouk

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

While it will be a more expensive investment, I've seen many robotics classes use a white board (Dry erase board) lying on a table or floor. This gives you the ability to use a black dry erase marker and redraw the lines easily to show that it does actually follow the line and has not been programmed to repeat a pre-existing path.

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

It depends on the size of your robot, resp. on the width its sensing mechanism can handle. Usually, a black electrical tape on laminated MDF is used in line follower competitions.

#4 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

It depends on the size of your robot, resp. on the width its sensing mechanism can handle. Usually, a black electrical tape on laminated MDF is used in line follower competitions.

Black tape would be good, but my floors at home would be too dark to get a good contrast with the tape. I think you could enhance the tape by using a roll of white paper to create the background onto which the black tape goes. The paper would need to be two or theree times wider than the sensors on the robot. At turnings you may need to put down an A4 sheet to ensure the sensor does not "fall off" the white area.

Paul

#5 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Just had another thought. I did some brick work a while ago and had to buy a roll of thick black plastic "damp proof course". Since it comes on a very long (30m) roll, most of it is left over in my loft.
Another idea would be to adjust the software to follow a white line on a black background and use the DPC roll as a road, with white insulation tape stuck onto it. It is quite easy to cut with a knife or scisors, and comes in wider sizes if needed. DPC at B&Q in the UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.