Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus home automation

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Charles

Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

Things like vacuums, electric kettles, etc.

Just curious why you would be running a kettle or vacuum cleaner through a relay in the first place. It is OK to have some unswitched outlets in your home... :)

You might want to consider these of you really need a serious relay:

Contactor Relays

Also consider using Latching Relays... They are like normal relays but don't need to stay energized to hold an on or off state... They operate more like an electronically controlled toggle switch and make the overall system more energy efficient.

Edit:

And, though more expensive than regular relays, latching relays don't draw power except during the split second when you actuate them from one position to the other. That means they generate almost no heat and are far less likely to burn your house down! :)

#22 darkSol

darkSol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Any updates on schematics or source code Fred? ;) Thanks!

#23 br549

br549

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

Z-Wave looks passable but the only double switches I've seen are one normal switch and one transmitter only. It seems to be dying off too.

I've been using Z-wave for about a year and I'm happy with it. I bought the ThinkStick Z-Wave USB Adapter. You can develop directly against it with .net or use the ThinkEssentials (Professional Edition) interface. I've iterated through my lights turning them on and off programmatically and it just works.
http://www.controlth...hinkessentials/

They have a good forum
http://forums.controlthink.com/

I purchased all GE lighting:
http://www.jascoproducts.com/z-wave/

ThinkEssentials showing my setup with 10 lights, furnace, and three door sensors.
Posted Image

The door sensors turn on lights and I'm eventually going to hook up an alarm. I have outside lights turn on and off after dusk. I shut all lights off at night at bedtime and off again after I leave in the morning (no more forgetting to turn the lights off). I have lights turn on automatically in the morning so I don't have to fumble for light switches. I have the furnace turn on and off automatically at set times. I can control everything remotely and check the status of everything remotely. I have lights turn on and off randomly while on vacation to make it appear that someone is home. I'm eventually going to add motion sensors running off the netduino and will be mixing z-wave and netduino's programmatically via webservices and web pages running on my home server.

#24 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:45 AM

I purchased all GE lighting:
http://www.jascoproducts.com/z-wave/

ThinkEssentials showing my setup with 10 lights, furnace, and three door sensors.

Cool interface ! Thanks for posting the links !
Started with C in 1985, moved to Vb3 ... to vb6 and stopped. Now started with .Net and learning C# and VB.net and wishing VB.net was on MF !

#25 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

br549: thanks for supporting my old company :)

Cool interface ! Thanks for posting the links !

Michel: now are you just saying that to win points? B) [Assuming you knew that ControlThink was my previous startup, that I designed 90% of that software program, SDK, etc.]

Chris

#26 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

Michel: now are you just saying that to win points? B) [Assuming you knew that ControlThink was my previous startup, that I designed 90% of that software program, SDK, etc.]

Wauw! Cool interface. (how many points does it give? :rolleyes: )
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#27 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

Michel: now are you just saying that to win points?

Points, points ? Where ? For what ? How many per compliment ? How many do I loose if I make a critic ? LOL

I'd like to see how you define the space and rooms :) But the interface looks very intuitive ! Good job on that 90% !
Started with C in 1985, moved to Vb3 ... to vb6 and stopped. Now started with .Net and learning C# and VB.net and wishing VB.net was on MF !

#28 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

I'd like to see how you define the space and rooms :) But the interface looks very intuitive ! Good job on that 90% !

Completely off-topic now, but the answer is that you basically draw boxes and erase the part of the room you don't want.

There are four design elements in the software I would change, but it's a pretty solid piece of software overall. I run it at my home in NYC ocassionally as well.

Chris

#29 br549

br549

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

br549: thanks for supporting my old company :)

Thanks for creating a great product.

I guess it's only fitting that I ask, how do I turn the netduino into a z-wave device that will appear in the ThinkEssentials interface as a device that can be acted upon?

#30 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:26 AM

I guess it's only fitting that I ask, how do I turn the netduino into a z-wave device that will appear in the ThinkEssentials interface as a device that can be acted upon?

We're working on that. :)

Today the answer is: sign an NDA with Sigma Designs, buy Sigma's Z-Wave devkit (~$3000 on Digikey), build .NET MF library to support Z-Wave, turn your Netduino into the ultimate home automation device, etc. But we have some ideas...

Chris

#31 br549

br549

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

We're working on that. :)

Today the answer is: sign an NDA with Sigma Designs, buy Sigma's Z-Wave devkit (~$3000 on Digikey), build .NET MF library to support Z-Wave, turn your Netduino into the ultimate home automation device, etc. But we have some ideas...

Chris

If your ideas include a ZMxxxx Wireless Module netduino shield and driver combo I'm in! I'm looking for turnkey here! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.