30cm go!cable - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

30cm go!cable

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

I don't seem to be able to find the 30cm go!cable's for sale anywhere. Does anyone have a source? I need the length for the location of the touch screen in this project.

#2 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

I don't seem to be able to find the 30cm go!cable's for sale anywhere. Does anyone have a source? I need the length for the location of the touch screen in this project.

I'm more curious if anyone has tried a 30cm cable. I'd be concerned about that much antenna.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#3 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

I bought it directly from nwazet: http://www.nwazet.com/gocable30

--
Asbjørn

#4 Nobby

Nobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

You can make these kinds of things really easily. They require no soldering and you only need tools to do it if you want to make it easy for yourself. The Netduino Go uses standard 10-way header sockets(5x2 pin array) that have locator notches. The items you need to make cables are:

• 10-way plugs (one per end if required)
  • Ribbon cable (grey or multi coloured are fine)
  • Clamping tool (less than $10 and reduces chance of mistakes)

You can get all of these from electronics hobby shops and electronics parts retailers/suppliers. The 10-way plugs usually come packaged individually with three parts to them. The larger part has sharp contacts that pierce the ribbon cable wires when you clamp it. The other two pieces clip into the main piece. One is smaller than the other. The smaller one is used to clamp the ribbon into the sharp contacts. Line the ribbon up with the contacts and push down hard with the second piece(using the clamping tool makes this really easy). Once clamped, fold the ribbon back over the plug and use the final piece to brace the ribbon. It prevents tugging from ripping the ribbon out of the plug.

The ribbon cable can be bought in lengths you require. If you can't get ribbon with 10 wires in it, just buy anything larger than that. I personally have a massive roll of 16-way that I use for everything and strip off what I don't need for a particular cable. Sometimes you can buy bundles from electronics hobby shops which have breadboard wires and ribbon cable in them with other junk if they don't sell ribbon cable.

Not sure what country you live in but I've never seen these cables pre-made purely because they're not used in consumer electronics for external purposes. I have read that packs of 10-way cables for the Netduino will be sold soon within the USA for people who aren't hardware savey. Not sure what the status on that is.

#5 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have read that packs of 10-way cables for the Netduino will be sold soon within the USA for people who aren't hardware savey. Not sure what the status on that is.

http://www.amazon.co...44321970&sr=1-5
They're 10cm though :(
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#6 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

Not sure what country you live in but I've never seen these cables pre-made purely because they're not used in consumer electronics for external purposes. I have read that packs of 10-way cables for the Netduino will be sold soon within the USA for people who aren't hardware savey. Not sure what the status on that is.

I bought 10cm cables here:
http://www.proto-adv...o-IDCcables.php
and as stated earlier, I bought 30cm cables from nwazet: http://www.nwazet.co...duct/connectors

He seems to be within USA (according to the profile), I'm from Norway, and did not have any problem ordering.

For me it is more difficult to get plugs and cables loose to make my own, than to get these readymade.
Both Nwazet and proto-advantage have reasonable shippingcosts.

--
Asbjørn

#7 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

You can make these kinds of things really easily. ... The Netduino Go uses standard 10-way header sockets(5x2 pin array) that have locator notches.

Well, Netduino Go does not use standard 0.1" (2.54 mm) pitch headers, but smaller ones with 0.05" (1.27 mm) pitch. Also, separating wires of 0.025" ribbon cable is harder (it's 80-wire vs. 40-wire IDE cable).

#8 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

I had attempted to order 30cm from Nwazet in June. That part of my order got canceled with the note "We apologize: the 30cm cables are out of stock. Secret Labs, our supplier has not yet delivered our order and did not provide an ETA.". If you look at the site now it says "Out of stock until further notice". I guess I'll try and track down headers/cable/tool.

#9 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

You can buy direct from Samtec (part code FFSD-05-D-12.00-01-N) although shipping is a bit pricey, they do samples though... Nak.

#10 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I got cheaper frm:

go! cable

#11 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

supra, those are 10cm, not 30cm cables.

#12 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

@NxTwoThou

The 30cm r available.

http://nwazet.com/gocable30

Sorry, The insert link doesn't work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.