Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Does Netduino Software software getting cleared over time?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 orange

orange

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I had a program running on Netduino (Plus) and it was working for months. The device is turned on and off occasionally. After a while it stopped working. I guess the program got wiped out of memory or got corrupted somehow. I reloaded the program and the system is working now. I wonder if Netduino is not connected to power, doest the program over time get off the memory? 1) What kind of memory Netduino use to store memory? 2) Is it possible that this memory is wiped over time? 3) Is it possible that static electricity is the cause? 4) Is it possible that accidental tripping of reset make the memory go away? It's unlikely but I can imaging a static charge on reset ping of N+ (thought it's not connected to my main board) makes a reset. 5) I used to have out of memory as garbage collector couldn't keep up but that should not change the actual memory of program, right? This doesn't seem to be the cause since wiping/damage of the program is permanent. Thoughts?

#2 Nobby

Nobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

The program is stored in non-volatile Flash memory(EEPROM). I haven't looked the modern longevity but you can expect roughly fifty years of reliable program storage in the device under desirable environmental conditions. Static electricity causing a wipe is a lot less likely with today's microcontrollers but still possible. It's more likely physical damage would occur before program erasure. The only controlled method of non-software executed erasure is from connecting a positive voltage(3.3V+) to the little gold square on the board. This configures the board for firmware operations until you repower the device. I'm not sure if this actually erases the program Flash though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.