Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Can I use AC DC Apdater with 6.5 V 2000 mA with Netduino Plus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 embarus

embarus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hello everyone I buy this adapter from seeedstudio http://www.seeedstud...l?cPath=178_181 and not aware if it compatible with Netdino Plus. When I got both devices I see 7.5 - 12 V. for adapter plug on Netduion Plus. So may I use this adapter with Netduino Plus or it can damage circuit. If it does not work Netduino, please suggest me the best compatible one that can buy from internet. Lastly, how many currency mA best for Adapter to connect with Netduino plus sine it does not show on board ( show only 7.5 - 12 V.) Thank you and hope I can share my Netduino Project from Thailand. :)

codesanook.com my blog written in Thai language

sonsod.com live and online computer institute

#2 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hi Embarus,

If you have not already paid for the power supply, look for another one that has 7.5V output or 5V output. (7.5V would be connected to the barrel connector, 5V can be connected directly to the Vin pin.)

If you have already got it:

1/ Check that the output has + in the centre and - on the outside. There is a picture on the base of the adapter in the link you gave, but I can't quite see it.
You want:
Posted Image

2/ Try it.
As long as the polarity is correct you will not damage the Netduino.
You may find it is not as reliable as it should be, but I think it will probably work.

The current required for the Netduino depends on the devices you have connected to it.
The maximum current that the regulator can handle is 800mA see Wiki page. So the input current should always be less than this. If the Netduino is using more than 800mA the Netduino will probably be damaged.
The power supply you chose should be rated to give more current than the current the Netduino uses.
So if you are going to use 800mA, buy a 1 Amp power supply.

Hope this helps - Paul

#3 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

To be honest, I've used a 5V power supply, without problems. But without guarantees! ;)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#4 embarus

embarus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hi Paul Newton, thank you very much for your useful and very complete information. I feel warm welcome to this community. :) and hope I can contribute to this community. Also, thank Stefan for letting me know that you uses 5v adapter. :)

codesanook.com my blog written in Thai language

sonsod.com live and online computer institute

#5 Gorf

Gorf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

...The current required for the Netduino depends on the devices you have connected to it.
The maximum current that the regulator can handle is 800mA see Wiki page. So the input current should always be less than this. If the Netduino is using more than 800mA the Netduino will probably be damaged.
The power supply you chose should be rated to give more current than the current the Netduino uses.
So if you are going to use 800mA, buy a 1 Amp power supply.

This bit has confused me (easily done, I'm afraid).

The first paragraph seems to be contradicted by the second.

In the first, it looks to me like you're saying that the ND will attempt to draw as much current as is needed by all the attached peripherals, but it might be damaged if that goes over 800mA. Then in the second you say that you should oversupply if you're going to use all 800mA - doesn't that run the risk of damaging the device if you go over?

#6 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi Gorf, What I was trying to say is that the rating of the power supply should be more than the maximum current that will be drawn. This should ensure it runs within its limits and does not get hot or generate electrical noise. If there is a possibility that too much will be drawn through the Netduino's regulators (>800mA), then a suitable system (possibly a fuse / maybe an overcurrent reset circuit) should be employed to stop this happening. Yes, if you used a lower rated power supply, it might help limit the current into the Netduino. But, this would not guarantee that no damage is done to either PSU or Netduino. A side point is that not all the current used will be via the Netduino. Hopefully some will be taken directly to devices like motors and relays. Hence the total needed can be more than he Netduin's safe limit. Have Fun and keep thinking about what forum posters say. Its good to question the advice! Paul

#7 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hi Gorf Basically the PSU you use for a netduino should be overrated in terms of current to ensure that you have enough head room for the maximum current draw, as running a psu that is rated at 800mA would be effectively redlining the PSU i.e. it would be working at its limit, which often means that stabilisation starts to suffer, MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) decreases i.e. statistically it will fail sooner etc. As for the maximum current draw for perhiperals you need to ensure that the shield(s) combined current draw doesn't exceed 800mA and if it does provide an additional PSU for that shield/device the only things i can think of off the top of my head that would necessitate a dedicated peripheral PSU would be a motor controller, or a high gain radio transceiver. I haven't looked to closely at the ND PSU/Regulation circuitry but it probably has some current limiting, if in doubt get a multimeter and measure current. If you do need an additional supply you can get a overrated PSU i.e. 5V 2A and a "Y" splitter lead to power both ND and Shield... Nak.

#8 Gorf

Gorf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the explanations. The current draw will be even more of an issue now that the idea of daisychaining modules is out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.