Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Failure to deploy and system crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Metalith

Metalith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Essentially new to netduino and all that comes with it, I tried getting a simple webserver deployed. Simple in the respect that all it does is turn the onboard LED on and off when sent requests. However, one major problem, the netduino plus will stop responding occasionally so I cannot deploy to it. I hit the reset button and it... seems to do something, flashes the various lights on it. But that does not fix it as Visual Studio keeps being stuck in the preparing to deploy assemblies phase. if I stop the building of the program I can still edit it, visual studio will work fine but wont deploy. but if I ever try to unplug the netduino plus... my computer will immediately shut off. Not sure if thats a common issue and non-fatal to computers but it scares me. Anyone know a fix to this? Im probably doing something wrong.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hi Metalith, Sorry for the driver glitch you're experiencing; this is a bug in the NETMF drivers that affects some computers, particularly when using .NET MF 4.2. Microsoft has created new drivers (based on WinUSB) which should be entering beta soon. BTW, welcome to the Netduino community. Chris

#3 Metalith

Metalith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Ah that explains it... Its not damaging my computer, is it? And thanks by the way.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Ah that explains it... Its not damaging my computer, is it?

Netduinos have a 500mA USB fuse on them and ESD protection for USB, to help protect both your Netduino and your PC.

Rebooting or shutting off your PC suddenly is never a particularly good thing. If you are experiencing these issues while waiting for the new drivers, be sure to save data in any open applications from time to time.

And thanks by the way.

Oh, no problem. That's what we're all here for...to help each other be successful building cool projects/products.

Chris

#5 Dave M.

Dave M.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have this same problem in my application, using a Netduino Plus 2. Temporary workaround: Open the Device Manager, then disable the Netduino. After the failure tones, you can unplug and reconnect the Netduino. You'll get those failure tones again, but when you re-enable the Netduino, VS2010 will be able to deploy again. It's a little annoying, but I wonder if it has to do with buggy application code. In my particular case I think that could be the reason, and it's definitely tied to COM1 somehow. I'm in the process of working on a library that communicates with an external peripheral over RS232, and when my parsing fails, the external device keeps sending data. It seems like in this case, the Netduino freaks out and can no longer be programmed until I reset it with the above steps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.