Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netbios

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:53 AM

Valkyrie-MT, We're hoping to integrate this into the official firmware as soon as we have the root issues sorted out, but we don't have a special firmware build with incoporated. Yet :) We should be wrapping up all the network updates in the next 3-ish weeks though, with a little luck. Chris

#22 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

Anyone interested to have NETBIOS integrated directly on firmware ? It's not too difficult to modify lwip for that, so, let me know, /pascal

#23 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Anyone interested to have NETBIOS integrated directly on firmware ? It's not too difficult to modify lwip for that, so, let me know,

[Raises hand. Waves hand. Waves hand again.]

#24 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

[Raises hand. Waves hand. Waves hand again.]

Thanks Chris,

My first proof of concept seems to be near now,

But the name is hardcoded, not a good idea, especialy for the majority of members who have multiple NetduinoPlus (or Netduino + Shield :rolleyes: ) on the same network ;)

I need to provide a way to specify the name of your device. What about this :

NetworkInterface[] networkInterfaces = NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces();
   networkInterfaces[0].EnableNetBios("NETDUINO");

By this way, you can enable Netbios (disable by default) and you can specify a name.

Comments are welcome,
Pascal

#25 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

NetworkInterface[] networkInterfaces = NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces();

By this way, you can enable Netbios (disable by default) and you can specify a name.

Comments are welcome,
Pascal

That's a great idea. We could implement it as an optional extension method (and propose it back to the .NET MF team for inclusion in a future version of .NET MF)...

Chris

#26 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Hi everyone, I'm able to run netbios name resolution at firmware level (integrated to lwip) with a hardcoded name (the first step). Now, I need to modify managed code and interop to include EnableNetbios(<name>) capability. If any member have a experience to help me to go in the right direction ... Pascal

#27 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hello, For those who want to try Netbios at firmware level and have the possibility to build it with RVDS, here is a beta sample. This sample use a hardcoded name "NETDUINO". I hope that I didn't forgot any other modified files ... Let me know ... Pascal

#28 pascal06

pascal06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

oops, with attachment, it's better :rolleyes:

Attached Files

#29 Michael Schwarz

Michael Schwarz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Chris,

My first proof of concept seems to be near now,

But the name is hardcoded, not a good idea, especialy for the majority of members who have multiple NetduinoPlus (or Netduino + Shield :rolleyes: ) on the same network ;)

Comments are welcome,
Pascal

Did anybody talked to MS concerning this feature request?

Regards,
Michael

#30 andersborg

andersborg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Do you know if anything's happened with this? Has there been made an official update of .NET Micro Framework to support UDP multicast / broadcast? Is there something I can change myself, a la "minimal risk for screwing things up completely"? My interest is not NetBIOS, but rather a custom protocol, still using UDP multicast for both sending and receiving, and I don't receive anything in Netduino, even though Wireshark "sees" it and the reception lamp on Netduino blinks. This is my so far very simple code, to see if I receive anything. I use a static IP address. Poll never returns true. Socket serverSocket = new Socket(AddressFamily.InterNetwork, SocketType.Dgram, ProtocolType.Udp); EndPoint remoteEndPoint = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 0); serverSocket.Bind(remoteEndPoint); while (true) { if (serverSocket.Poll(1000, SelectMode.SelectRead)) { Debug.Print("Unknown data"); byte[] inBuffer = new byte[serverSocket.Available]; int count = serverSocket.ReceiveFrom(inBuffer, ref remoteEndPoint); if (count > 0) { Debug.Print("Some data:" + inBuffer[0]); } } Thread.Sleep(10); } Cheers, Anders

#31 elettrozero

elettrozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:24 AM

Nothing moved since than ? It's june the 3rd and no news ?

#32 elettrozero

elettrozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

Hey!! I tested a FW version with all Pascal's modified files. Just changed netduino to my own desired netbios name but when I ping it no response. Is there anything to do in managed code in addition to C++ code ?

#33 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

Is there anything to do in managed code in addition to C++ code ?

I thought all the necessary changes were covered in this post:

http://forums.netdui...ndpost__p__3708

-Valkyrie-MT

#34 elettrozero

elettrozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

I thought all the necessary changes were covered in this post:

http://forums.netdui...ndpost__p__3708

-Valkyrie-MT

Which is the same post in the 1st page...I downloaded pascal zip.
Broadcast is enabled and with managed code it works but, since the zip should contain netbios at fw level, I was expecting it to work without managed.

#35 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:29 PM

Broadcast is enabled and with managed code it works ...

It Works! That's awesome! Chris, can these changes get into a Beta firmware so others like myself can test it?

-Valkyrie-MT

#36 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

It Works! That's awesome! Chris, can these changes get into a Beta firmware so others like myself can test it?

-Valkyrie-MT

I second that. I would like to see this and 50% more RAM added to 4.2 Beta 2. They both are quite significant changes for me.

-david

#37 elettrozero

elettrozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

Ehy!! Does it work for you using managed code or simply using FW modification ? :blink:

#38 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

I'd very much like to see NetBIOS support added to 4.2 beta 2 as well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.