Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Any interest in a NV-RAM shield using I2C?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 65tux

65tux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

For a project we have going we are going to build a simple shield with an I2C F-RAM chip (either FM24CL64B for 8kbyte or FM24CL16B for 2kbyte). We will hopefully have these prototyped in the next couple weeks and do a production run by the end of July. Anybody interested? We're not looking to make a bunch of money on these, just hoping to sell some to help cover the board/assembly costs so they will not be very expensive - the chips go for <$3 so pretty easy to swallow. We could do bigger chips - they go up to 128kbyte but we don't need anything that big for what we are doing - we will probably do the first batch with the 8kbyte chips.

#2 Geancarlo2

Geancarlo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Might be easier and cheaper to use http://wvshare.com/p...-FRAM-Board.htm

#3 65tux

65tux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Might, but really looking for a shield for mounting purposes.

#4 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Why use FRAM instead of flash? Other than faster IO?

#5 65tux

65tux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:55 AM

For us it is write cycles that pushed us to FRAM. We need to keep track of a pulse counter across power cycles so that meant constant writes to the flash - up to 50 writes/second so we were worried about the life expectancy of flash with such frequent writes. I forget the number but FRAM was at least a couple of orders of magnitude better.

#6 gartral

gartral

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hey, what's the status of that ram shield? And also, I'm no EE, but.. in theory.. couldn't one use the SD-RAM off of an old PC RAM chip?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.