Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Emulator

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 xc2rx

xc2rx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hi, It would be a big plus and also very helpful if you could create a generic emulator that we can use to test our code against switch, button, LED, I2C, SPI, etc. This will help a lot of newbies get started. Thanks!!

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

It would be a big plus and also very helpful if you could create a generic emulator that we can use to test our code against switch, button, LED, I2C, SPI, etc. This will help a lot of newbies get started.

I do feel bad that there's the awesome emulator built into .NET Micro Framework...and that we don't get to play with it much :)

Let's think out loud here for a minute to figure out how we could put an emulator together that would be useful for users. My big concerns is that _most_ accessories are I2C, SPI, etc.--so they would require emulators of their own to work. Perhaps we could make a "core emulator" and then accessory manufacturers could make emulators for their parts as desired?

Chris

[P.S. xc2rx -- welcome to the community!]

#3 xc2rx

xc2rx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

I do feel bad that there's the awesome emulator built into .NET Micro Framework...and that we don't get to play with it much :)

Let's think out loud here for a minute to figure out how we could put an emulator together that would be useful for users. My big concerns is that _most_ accessories are I2C, SPI, etc.--so they would require emulators of their own to work. Perhaps we could make a "core emulator" and then accessory manufacturers could make emulators for their parts as desired?

Chris

[P.S. xc2rx -- welcome to the community!]

What about a generic emulator for generic components such as button, switch, led, etc. for I2C and SPI, we can just fake a component for simulation purpose where the user will only see the raw bits that go in and out of it.

Anyway, what I'm envisioning is something like this: http://informatix.mi...edEmulator.aspx

Unfortunately, this emulator doesn't work for .net 4.1. It was built in for micro .net v2.1. Let me know if something like this is possible.

Thanks!

#4 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

Hi,

I have been playing with the extensible emulator included in the .Net Framework and I have build an emulator where you can run the two basic How To's from the Projects page. I think that it would be possible to develop a more advanced emulator to play with a Netduino without a board in our hands.

I have attached a VS2010 solution with a Emulator and Netduino Application project. First of all, you have to build the Emulator project because when building the project, the emulator is registered automatically in the registry with the project name and is then available for use by other .NET Micro Framework applications. After that, uncomment the example that you want to run, and enjoy with the blinking check boxes :lol:

Attached File  NetduinoSimulator.zip   1003.72KB   161 downloads

P.S: ¿Would be possible to increase the global upload quota? 2MB is a very little space :)

#5 RedHermit

RedHermit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:53 AM

José, Thank you very much for sharing this!!! I've tried it out and it works great, and is an excellent starting point to further expand on.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

José, that's pretty awesome. I'll have to open this up later and play with it! I'll also see what we can do about raising the upload limit (or maybe creating some sort of upload area that you can link to from here--and then the 2MB can be used for images and such).

#7 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

José,

Thank you very much for sharing this!!! I've tried it out and it works great, and is an excellent starting point to further expand on.

José, that's pretty awesome. I'll have to open this up later and play with it!

Thank you, now I'm trying to use WPF instead Windows Forms to develop the emulator interface. I think that is better to move to this technology instead using the old WF but I can't run the emulator after change some things. Any idea on how to migrate the emulator app? :unsure:

#8 xc2rx

xc2rx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

Thank you, now I'm trying to use WPF instead Windows Forms to develop the emulator interface. I think that is better to move to this technology instead using the old WF but I can't run the emulator after change some things. Any idea on how to migrate the emulator app? :unsure:

Jose,

You did a pretty good job with that simple emulator. By any chance are you going to improve on that emulator with more options? I was thinking about doing it but finding the time is difficult. If you're not going to do it, let me know and I will work on it when I have time. I'm envisioning something similar to this:

http://informatix.mi...edEmulator.aspx

Let me know.

Thanks!

#9 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

Jose,

You did a pretty good job with that simple emulator. By any chance are you going to improve on that emulator with more options? I was thinking about doing it but finding the time is difficult. If you're not going to do it, let me know and I will work on it when I have time. I'm envisioning something similar to this:

http://informatix.mi...edEmulator.aspx

Let me know.

Thanks!

I would like to improve it with more options, but I need two simple things: time and knowledge to do it :) Something like the Advanced Emulator will be great, what do you think about working together to try to build something like that? :rolleyes:

#10 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

Great, I have the emulator running in WPF, so, now it's time to add more things :)

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

Great, I have the emulator running in WPF, so, now it's time to add more things :)

Awesome! I would love to play with it when you're ready to share...

#12 Steven Behnke

Steven Behnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

José would you make a project on github or something like that so we might all be able to contribute to your emulator?

#13 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

José would you make a project on github or something like that so we might all be able to contribute to your emulator?

I have uploaded to Codeplex, It's supports TFS. The code uploaded is "spaghetti code" but it's the start point to build something :P

You can find it in http://netduinoemulator.codeplex.com

#14 xc2rx

xc2rx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

I have uploaded to Codeplex, It's supports TFS. The code uploaded is "spaghetti code" but it's the start point to build something :P

You can find it in http://netduinoemulator.codeplex.com

Thanks buddy. I was going to team up with you to workon this emulator but I have been so busy lately so I haven't had a chance to even touch my netduino board. I'm not too familiar with WPF but when I have a chance, I'll try to learn WPF and help put more features into. By sharing this project at CodePlex, you're already famous :) Keep up the good work.

#15 Chris Mancini

Chris Mancini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

I have been writing WPF/Silverlight for a few years now...I would be happy to contribute to the emulator. Let me know if you need some assistance.

#16 José Ángel

José Ángel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thanks buddy. I was going to team up with you to workon this emulator but I have been so busy lately so I haven't had a chance to even touch my netduino board. I'm not too familiar with WPF but when I have a chance, I'll try to learn WPF and help put more features into. By sharing this project at CodePlex, you're already famous :) Keep up the good work.

No problem, I don't have so much time too. I'll make it in my free time between classes and exams. About WPF, I don't have a lot of experience either but I love learning new things.

I have been writing WPF/Silverlight for a few years now...I would be happy to contribute to the emulator. Let me know if you need some assistance.

All help is well received. You are welcome to the project.

I am reading "Expert .NET Micro Framework" from Apress. The last two chapters talk about "Hardware emulation" and "Emulator components". I have the ebook, so, if any one needed, I can "share the knowledge" with him :P

The main problem that I have now is that I don't know how to start. I don't fully understand how the .net micro framework emulator works and how the Netduino Board Emulator must work.

So, if any one have his ideas more clear than me or knows how to start, I would like to hear him

Thanks!

#17 xc2rx

xc2rx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

No problem, I don't have so much time too. I'll make it in my free time between classes and exams. About WPF, I don't have a lot of experience either but I love learning new things.

I am reading "Expert .NET Micro Framework" from Apress. The last two chapters talk about "Hardware emulation" and "Emulator components". I have the ebook, so, if any one needed, I can "share the knowledge" with him :P

The main problem that I have now is that I don't know how to start. I don't fully understand how the .net micro framework emulator works and how the Netduino Board Emulator must work.

So, if any one have his ideas more clear than me or knows how to start, I would like to hear him

Thanks!

Could you share the e-book? That would be a lot of help. Thanks a bunch!!

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

Could you share the e-book? That would be a lot of help. Thanks a bunch!!

I believe that e-book is copyrighted, so we need to make sure we don't encourage anything that's illegal...

Not that I needed to say that; I think some communication wires were getting crossed in there somewhere.

BTW, "Expert .NET Micro Framework" is a pretty good book! Highly recommended to anyone who wants to dig into .NET MF C# code deeper.

Chris

#19 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Jose, thanks for sharing the code! I took your code and added a lifelike image of Netduino and replaced the checkboxes with transparent button and filled rectangles. Updated code is attached to this post and uploaded to your CodePlex project (awaiting your approval). I also made a video.

#20 AlexFielder1980

AlexFielder1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAndover, UK

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hi Hari, I (and everyone else) would be really interested in seeing the code you mention, but I couldn't see it attached to your post? Cheers, Alex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.