Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Cable length

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gorf

Gorf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

This post (from another thread)

If you haven't already, switch to the shortest Go cable you can find, see if it helps any. I was using the 10cm and just by switching to the 5cm it reduced my problems massively(with the original firmware)

would suggest that the 30cm cables I just bought might have been ill advised. What are the potential issues with cables over 5cm? The ones I've got will probably be used for the LED, the button, and one NWAZET relay...

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hi Gorf, 30cm is a bit long for some modules (particularly high-speed ones). If it doesn't work well, use a shorter cable. We've built error correction into some of the modules, and will be upgrading all of them to support error correction in the future, which will let you use the longer cables (i.e. will resend missing packets and will let you know if the cable is not workable at all). Chris

#3 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'm using a 30cm cable for some display modules because of how I need to position things in a machine(not enough room). After lots of random exceptions and eventually the touch screen would lock up(but my other code would continue to run) I was told it wasn't advised to run such long cables until the error checking comes about. And even then since the display is so traffic heavy it might not be a good idea. The first suggestion I was given when I was having instability with the shield base was that I should use a 5cm cable when possible(was using 10). It really did make a difference from not being able to boot the netduino while my other things where connected to the shield base to just having random problems(digital inputs not triggering when they actually did). I'm very much looking forward to the firmware updates that solidifies the platform. Its just being patient, knowing the very short term limitations, and imagining the possibilities to come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.