Baby Monitor project - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Baby Monitor project

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Good day everyone, I want to be able to monitor my kids from another room, so I though I could do this with either a Netduino Plus or Netduino Go with WiFi capabilities but I don't know what specific camera should I get for this project. It doesn't need to be High Definition. A color would be nice and Infrared a must have feature. Is it possible or I has to be more like a photo streaming which is taken every 1 or 2 seconds? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

It's doubtful the ND could handle the streaming from a video camera, plus when you add up the cost of the ND, WiFi shield, video camera, etc. You could simply purchase a Wifi enabled baby monitor camera with built in microphone and IR light for night vision (somewhere between $220 - $275). Just my opinion.

#3 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

It's doubtful the ND could handle the streaming from a video camera, plus when you add up the cost of the ND, WiFi shield, video camera, etc. You could simply purchase a Wifi enabled baby monitor camera with built in microphone and IR light for night vision (somewhere between $220 - $275). Just my opinion.

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

If money is not an object and the project is mostly for fun and proof of concept, how about taking pictures every so often and uploading them somewhere within the same home network and having a web page that serves those images (all within the same network, I can use my NAS for that) and then that web page can be accessed from an iPad, iPhone, another PC, another or a Netduino with a display. Any thoughts on that?

#4 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

That may be a more feasible option.

Here's one article I found on the subject. http://channel9.msdn...n-serial-camera
or http://fabienroyer.w...ith-a-netduino/

#5 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

That may be a more feasible option.

Here's one article I found on the subject. http://channel9.msdn...n-serial-camera
or http://fabienroyer.w...ith-a-netduino/

Thanks for the info Dave. I am going to reade those articles in detail.

#6 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

While I am not trying to talk anyone out of using a Netduino for video, real time video will be a big drain on resources. If you want real time video and audio I would recommend an IP camera (ethernet or wifi) with IR for operation in a dark room. This allows for motion detection, sound, recording, snapshots, smartphone access etc. Then you could use the the Netduino to operate an automatic bottle despencer, play music, rock the crib or the ever popular diaper changer (it send a text message to the wife). :o Chuck

#7 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

While I am not trying to talk anyone out of using a Netduino for video, real time video will be a big drain on resources.

If you want real time video and audio I would recommend an IP camera (ethernet or wifi) with IR for operation in a dark room. This allows for motion detection, sound, recording, snapshots, smartphone access etc.

Then you could use the the Netduino to operate an automatic bottle despencer, play music, rock the crib or the ever popular diaper changer (it send a text message to the wife). :o

Chuck

LOL, I won't show this post to my wife, otherwise I will get in trouble :)

I have a QNAP NAS TS-459Pro which has surveillance capabilities. The good thing about this project is that I have a Ethernet port right in my kids room. What IP camera would you recommend with IR capabilities?

#8 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

All of my IR cameras are for outdoors use, I do not have any indoors currently, except for an Edimax IC-7000PTn-V2 which is a pan / tilt camera, it has a good picture but occasionally locks up, they may have fixed that problem. I have used LevelOne and Linksys WVC80N you could most likely get a D-Link from Best Buy and try it out. D-Link DCS-932L they may price match other places that have them cheaper (newegg).

By the way you could show your wife the other message, just tell her "look what some male pig suggested" you'll be her hero. :lol: Can't figure out why I can't find a rich woman to marry. :(

Chuck

#9 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

All of my IR cameras are for outdoors use, I do not have any indoors currently, except for an Edimax IC-7000PTn-V2 which is a pan / tilt camera, it has a good picture but occasionally locks up, they may have fixed that problem. I have used LevelOne and Linksys WVC80N you could most likely get a D-Link from Best Buy and try it out. D-Link DCS-932L they may price match other places that have them cheaper (newegg).

By the way you could show your wife the other message, just tell her "look what some male pig suggested" you'll be her hero. :lol: Can't figure out why I can't find a rich woman to marry. :(

Chuck

As usual thanks again Chuck.

I'll check those cameras and see if they're compatible with my QNAP NAS. I'll keep you posted.

#10 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'll check those cameras and see if they're compatible with my QNAP NAS. I'll keep you posted.

I have not used the Qnap Nas. I have a synology 411+ that works well for me with the surveilance cameras. Also I highly recommend IP Cam Viewer Pro from Robert Chou, it works with Android and Iphone. It will display, take snapshots and record multiple cameras (web, ip, DVR etc) IP Cam Viewer Pro.

Chuck

#11 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have not used the Qnap Nas. I have a synology 411+ that works well for me with the surveilance cameras. Also I highly recommend IP Cam Viewer Pro from Robert Chou, it works with Android and Iphone. It will display, take snapshots and record multiple cameras (web, ip, DVR etc) IP Cam Viewer Pro.

Chuck

Cool, I wil try it out as soon as I get an IP camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.