Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Connecting to Andriod / iPhone (bluetooth, wifi, IOIO etc)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matthew Mackay

Matthew Mackay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

I'm pretty new to Netduino and I'm overwhelmed by how awesome it is and how many options there are out there. I'd like to ask the community for advice. I'd like to be able to administer my netduino project via a smartphone (andriod, iPhone etc).. I'm not sure what direction to go.. Here is what I've found and maybe I can get some suggestions.. 1) Wifi connection to a router, then just program a web interface (works for all smart phones) 2) ADK? I've seen a lot of arduino adk stuff and I assume it's possible to do the same for netduino 3) bluetooth interface? Is it possible to use wifi directly (peer to peer) with android/iphone without the need for a router in between? I'm just not sure what direction to go on this. I'm building a replacement controller for my sprinkler system and want to be able to connect to it without a router using my android. Any thoughts are welcome.. and thanks guys / gals for such awesome stuff.. I'm so impressed I can't even express it.

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'd like to ask the community for advice. I'd like to be able to administer my netduino project via a smartphone (andriod, iPhone etc).. I'm not sure what direction to go.. Here is what I've found and maybe I can get some suggestions..

1) Wifi connection to a router, then just program a web interface (works for all smart phones)
2) ADK? I've seen a lot of arduino adk stuff and I assume it's possible to do the same for netduino
3) bluetooth interface?

Is it possible to use wifi directly (peer to peer) with android/iphone without the need for a router in between?

I'm just not sure what direction to go on this. I'm building a replacement controller for my sprinkler system and want to be able to connect to it without a router using my android.

Any thoughts are welcome.. and thanks guys / gals for such awesome stuff.. I'm so impressed I can't even express it.

I'd go for the web interface myself as it has the advantage that there is only one lot of coding to do. All of the other options you have mentioned require you to develop an application which will run on the phone. If you go down either of the other routes you mentioned then it would be fantastic to see how you manage to get the two talking.

Not sure if the WiFi option would require a router. I'd have thought it would be worth trying to give the WiFi on the Netduino a static IP address. I know that's how I have connected to the N+ in the past and that works. I have a cross over cable with the N+ connected to my laptop.

Welcome to the community.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.