Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

N+ Virtual Memory?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 H07R0D

H07R0D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

I'm just wondering if it's possible to setup a Virtual Memory space on the SD Card similar to a paging table in a full blown OS? The more time I spend with my N+, the more I like it, and the more I want it to do. I'm running out of memory more and more often, and I'm resorting to FileStreams as temporary storage as often as I can. Would it be possible (feasible?) to write into the firmware a capability to specify space on the SD card for scratch? i.e a new byte array pointing to SD Card instead of RAM? Coding it is beyond me right now, but if it's possible, I will definitely start digging in. I've got 5 months of parental leave starting in June (Paid leave, yay Canada!) so my "work" will be pretty much .NETMF and Atmel ATTiny's. Thoughts?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Since NETMF is a runtime (i.e. abstracted), there's no reason that you couldn't hack the firmware to enable virtual memory for managed code objects. It would be really slow and would take a lot of work (and re-integration with each new version of NETMF)...but it's definitely doable. Chris

#3 H07R0D

H07R0D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Chris, If it's going to be a major performance hit, maybe I'll start looking at implementing specific objects within the runtime, instead of below in the firmware. Large HTTP Posts are currently causing me no end of headaches, I think I'll start there and see what happens. Thanks again.

#4 Mattster

Mattster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Locationusually South Florida

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Seems to me that an alternative would be to hack the NetMF itself and remove any unused code sections that can be identified as a way to free up memory. I was thinking of writing a code coverage tool for this purpose, but I've been sort of distracted by this thing called Netduino Go and learning new families of processors ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.