Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Has anyone looked at the Raspberry Pi™ SBC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Curious if anyone has looked at the Raspberry Pi™ SBC? I've seen some talk about running NETMF on it, but don't know if anyone has taken the Linux compiled version of NETMF and tried it? Sorry, I know this is not a NETDUINO related post, but I think there are some really smart and creative people on these forums... so what better place to ask. I'm working on an audio project idea that I'm not sure could be accomplished with ND which is why I am looking at it.

#2 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Curious if anyone has looked at the Raspberry Pi™ SBC? I've seen some talk about running NETMF on it, but don't know if anyone has taken the Linux compiled version of NETMF and tried it?

Sorry, I know this is not a NETDUINO related post, but I think there are some really smart and creative people on these forums... so what better place to ask.

I'm working on an audio project idea that I'm not sure could be accomplished with ND which is why I am looking at it.

I have been following the Raspberry PI with great interest. As you probably know, they are in extremely short supply and it will be a while (months) before most people can get their hands on one. Also the Raspberry PI has several features like USB host and HDMI video that would require drivers to work with NETMF. Since parts of the Raspberry By are not open source (particularly the Broadcomm chip used as the processor), I would expect the effort to develop drivers for all the hardware will be non-trivial.

In any case I am anxious to get mine, but to run Unix.

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

I have been following the Raspberry PI with great interest. As you probably know, they are in extremely short supply and it will be a while (months) before most people can get their hands on one. Also the Raspberry PI has several features like USB host and HDMI video that would require drivers to work with NETMF. Since parts of the Raspberry By are not open source (particularly the Broadcomm chip used as the processor), I would expect the effort to develop drivers for all the hardware will be non-trivial.

Apparently, RS have invited everyone who registered on the first day to order their Raspberry Pi. I've been lucky enough to have been invited to order so should have one in the next four weeks.

I'm also looking to use this as a Linux machine but I will probably have a look to trying Mono on it.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

I have a colleague who has just (in the last few days) received one. Now he has to work out what to do with it!

#5 DaveRVW

DaveRVW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

I have one but haven't gotten around to trying monodevelop just yet though I did install mono in Ubuntu and didn't get past Hello World. It's also a case of what do I do with this thing? I figure I could spend the rest of my life figuring it out as it is capable of so much. I did hear a recommendation of running xdmc (did I get that right?) an open source media center package. I would like to see developing for .NET on the raspberry Pi, both micro and mono, and maybe even some arduino shield like functionality for expansion and compatibility. It's an embedded system and a desktop Pc at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.