Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino vs. Netduino Go with GPS and 3G

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nhale

nhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHeidelberg, Germany

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the topic and first have some general questions to see if it's possible at all - and don't get told lateron in the forum ;-)

The idea:
There is a device called "DriftBox" which records position, speed, g-forces, lap times and much more. I had the chance to test one of these boxes and it gives you very detailed and accurate track information (position, speed). Price: about 600-700€ in Germany (USD 800)!!!!!
DriftBox Website

In my opinion too expensive.

As I'm developing in .NET/C# (since 2006) I wrote a small app which records the position with my Windows Phone 7.
The problem is, that the GPS sensor does not have a high resolution (I think its about once a second) additionally it has problems with fast direction changes (turns/curves - hope this is the right word ;)). Just take a look at the attached picture from recording, then you know what I mean. I tested the WP7 app with a HTC and Samsung device and both are "bad".
Attached File  HHRGPSTest.JPG   46.19KB   11 downloads

To be able to provide the my current location to my friends (on Nürburgring-GreenHell you wait about 10 minutes until the 25km/15miles lap has finished) I wanted to use the ability of the WP7 and upload my position every second and they see on the iPad or similar my current position - even if they don't see me on the track in reality.

Why Netduino:
I was searching for a technical solution which is affordable and found some results for Netduino. Basically this platform can handle everything I'm searching for...but the questions is does it all work together ;) And another reason for Netduino as I was looking on some online shops the price would be about the 50% of the DriftBox and additionally provide the internet-capability.

Requirements on my project:
  • Accurate and high-resolution GPS sensor (1 Hz would be enough if the accuracy is awesome)
  • SD card to store position data in a file
  • 3G to upload the current position to a webserver (I saw some module for Arduino with 3G+GPS on Cooking hacks)
  • max. consumption of 12V (to use the car power supply via these car-cigarette-lighter-plugs)
  • Buttons to swtich on/off, (de)activate GPS,
  • Optional:
  • Display to show a menu/settings/status or similar (an LED would also be enough - but who knows ;-))

Questions: (these are my questions - maybe you have diffent ones, just ask)
  • Netduino vs. Netduino Go
  • Do I need the additonal Mhz, when using more than 1 Hz GPS sensors, writing the data to SD and upload it every second?
  • Does it makes sense to go for the NGo because of the additional ports
  • Power supply
  • Does it work with the upper limit of 12V from the car-cigarette-lighter-plugs (hope you know what I mean ;-))
  • 3G
  • Until now I only found a 3G shield for Arduino. Does it work with Netduino/NGo.
  • Is there any 3G shield especially for this plattform?
  • Shields
  • The NGo Starter kit has one shield adapter. Asuming I have a seperate GPS shield (e.g. Adafruit GPS logger shield kit) and another 3G shield...is more than one shield possible?
  • Devlopment
  • Do I need anything else then VS2010+frameworks and a USB cable

If you have read everything until now...thanks I will buy you beer ;)
I know from programming that it's sometimes hard to answer these noob questions, but I mostly just found technical discussions about specific problems while already working with the plattform. But before I buy all that stuff and spent time (which will be fun I think) I wanted to clarify if its at least possible :)

Thanks niels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.