Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

High-speed throughput for Netduino Go modules

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Late last year, we started tinkering with ST's latest silicon...a killer Cortex-M0 chip cut from the same DNA as the Cortex-M4F used on Netduino Go.

We knew that some go!modules would need high-speed throughput and tons of features. The STM8S chip was perfect for low-cost lower-bandwidth modules, and the STM32F2/4 chips were great for running NETMF and for high-end modules. But there was a middle space for modules like Ethernet, SD, and high-speed serial where the cost and power consumption of an STM32F2+ chip was too high.

We evaluated a lot of chips. And this new chip really stood out. We couldn't talk about it until recently because it hadn't been announced. And we didn't want to talk about it because (as we've learned through experience) new chips aren't real until thousands of them show up at our doorstep :)

That package arrived a few days ago. We're using these chips on the new Ethernet and SD modules, and module builders will be very interested in these as well. 48MHz Cortex-M0, available for <$1 in reel quantity.

Here's a quick peek:
http://www.st.com/in...duct/251901.jsp

• 48MHz
  • 32, 48, and 64-pin versions
  • 16-64KB Flash, up to 8KB RAM
  • Lots of IOs, 12-bit ADCs, PWM, SPI, I2C, USART, and DAC
  • RTC and battery-backed options, standby/sleep/etc
  • Capacitive touch support
  • And more...
Most impressively, the SPI is megabits-fast and has a CRC16 mode that works with DMA. Which will give us the kind of speed we want for high-throughput error-checked data.

Nice bonus: there's a <$10 STM32F0Discovery board :)
http://components.ar...icroelectronics

Once we finish up the virtual i/o firmware for STM8S, we'll port it over to the STM32F0. For those of you creating early designs for go!modules, I'd recommend sticking with STM8S for now. But if you need high-throughput or lots of power and don't mind hacking away at STM32 code for a while...this chip will be fully supported and we can guide you as to how to hook it up to the go!bus sockets.

Chris

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Looks nice. And another cheap dev board from ST which has got to help with uptake. In the UK can see the dev board is available at Farnell and there's a book on the Cortex M0, but can't see the IC available via retailers yet. I assume they will be fairly soon though.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Looks nice. And another cheap dev board from ST which has got to help with uptake. In the UK can see the dev board is available at Farnell and there's a book on the Cortex M0, but can't see the IC available via retailers yet. I assume they will be fairly soon though.

Good catch Fred. The 64KB versions just started shipping, 32KB and 16KB should be out soon too.

BTW, the Cortex-M0 book is quite good.

Chris

#4 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

Very cool.

#5 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

BTW, the Cortex-M0 book is quite good.

The same author also has a book on the M3 which I found OK to read - not had chance to implement much yet.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#6 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

Just received some STMicroelectronics news

#7 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

The same author also has a book on the M3 which I found OK to read - not had chance to implement much yet.

I bought the M3 book and found it OK. I can access both the M3 and M0 books via a work Safari Books Online subscription but annoyingly they're excluded from my download allocation.

This book - Arm Microcontroller Interfacing - looks interesting and has one glowing review on Amazon UK. Has anyone read it and can give an opinion?

#8 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

You can get the STM32F0DISCOVERY kit for free if you attend STM32 F0 European seminars (free, registration required)

Nothing in the UK. Anyway - they're so cheap that the transport cost to the seminar would likely be more than the board. You wouldn't do it just for the freebie!

#9 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Awesome stuff, deff ordering a few of those :) With regards to Ethernet module are there any plans for SSL Client support for initial offering? As i am interested in either writing a netmf wrapper for polar SSL (as ST have a couple of demo's using it) or seeing if I can get OpenSSL going... Nak.

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi nakchak,

With regards to Ethernet module are there any plans for SSL Client support for initial offering?

As i am interested in either writing a netmf wrapper for polar SSL (as ST have a couple of demo's using it) or seeing if I can get OpenSSL going...

8KB of RAM is too small to handle SSL on the Ethernet module, but it's certainly possible to get something like PolarSSL (or OpenSSL) running on the mainboard. We'd have to reduce the amount of codespace from 384KB to fit SSL, but that's not an issue for the majority of applications.

Have you tested the NETMF OpenSSL implementation? Measured how much Flash and RAM it needs? It would be super-cool to get SSL running on Netduino Go. PolarSSL is definitely interesting, but the GPL license makes it a harder sell for some users...

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Chris

#11 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi nakchak,

8KB of RAM is too small to handle SSL on the Ethernet module, but it's certainly possible to get something like PolarSSL (or OpenSSL) running on the mainboard. We'd have to reduce the amount of codespace from 384KB to fit SSL, but that's not an issue for the majority of applications.

Have you tested the NETMF OpenSSL implementation? Measured how much Flash and RAM it needs? It would be super-cool to get SSL running on Netduino Go. PolarSSL is definitely interesting, but the GPL license makes it a harder sell for some users...

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Chris

Hi Chris

Not yet...

Its the next project on my list after I finish off some outstanding personal projects (website, 3axis motor controller, some ND GO tutorials/written up experiments whilst i am familiarising myself with the new platform), and the ND+ based project at work (where SSL would be the KILLER feature for the application, however I may be able to devote some of my "work time" to making that happen and contributing back to the community, if I can convince the MD to switch to GO's for future projects...).

Nak.

#12 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Just received some STMicroelectronics news

If you can also get a free Discovery Kit directly from the STMicroelectronics website. Unfortunately it only seems to be available to anyone in North America. Sorry UK! Discovery kit for STM32 F0 series - with STM32F051 MCU

There should be a "Register for your FREE KIT" button in the Key Features area.

#13 ByteMaster

ByteMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks Gutworks!

If you can also get a free Discovery Kit directly from the STMicroelectronics website. Unfortunately it only seems to be available to anyone in North America. Sorry UK! Discovery kit for STM32 F0 series - with STM32F051 MCU

There should be a "Register for your FREE KIT" button in the Key Features area.

I signed up for this on Friday and received a shiny new STM32F0 Discovery kit today =D

Attached Files

Kevin D. Wolf
Windows Phone Development MVP
President Software Logistics, LLC
Tampa, FL

#14 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info Gutworks. Easy as 1..2..3.. Just ordered mine.

#15 Arbiter

Arbiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

SPI is great but it requires a selector pin for each SPI device. Call me Mr Silly but if you're building hardware, why wouldn't you use a cheap decoder chip like the 4514 as a sort of address buss so that instead of 16 pins for 16 devices, you'd only need 4 pins? While I can certainly build this myself, it would reach a whole new level of awesomeness if it were directly supported by the built-in virtualisation.It wouldn't be complex to use jumper to determine which of four pins participate in the addressbus. When they aren't controlled they would be pulled low so you could progressively adjust the bitness of the address bus according to need.
One day, all this too shall parse.

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

SPI is great but it requires a selector pin for each SPI device. Call me Mr Silly but if you're building hardware, why wouldn't you use a cheap decoder chip like the 4514 so that instead of 16 pins for 16 devices, you'd only need 4 pins? While I can certainly build this myself, it would reach a whole new level of awesomeness if it were directly supported by the built-in virtualisation.

Good idea. This could also be done with a 595 shift register, albeit with a bit more latency. That's what we used for the power MOSFET control, so that we didn't tie up 8 pins for the infrequently-accessed power control.

For SPI, we felt that it would be best to use physical pins for each SPI_SS so that we could control them as high, low, high-z, and input pullup/pulldown/disabled. With rapid select/deselect. And to prevent parasitic power to unpowered modules. That may not turn out to be necessary, but we overengineered things a bit to keep our options open (especially with the GPIO/IRQ pins).

Chris

#17 Arbiter

Arbiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

I think I need to understand your virtualisation better before I comment further. Certainly if this technique were built up as a module with the SPI bus and 4 digital pins forming a selector bus, it could be treated as a single SPI device for the purposes of writing and the address bus controlled separately. I could wrap the SPI class and add a method SelectDevice(int address) that sets the bus pins appropriately.
One day, all this too shall parse.

#18 ByteMaster

ByteMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Chris - can you elaborate what you mean by this?

Over-engineered - (especially with the GPIO/IRQ pins)

One of the challenges I'm having with some of my modules is the "dance" that needs to take place when the module needs to tell the main board about something.

Module -> IRQ -> MainBoard "I have something for you"
MainBoard -> SPI -> Module "What's Up? and how much do you need to send me"
Module -> SPI -> MainBoard "Message Type XX, payload YYY bytes"
MainBoard -> SPI -> Module "Ok, clock me in your YYY bytes"

Seems somewhat chatty

That statement leads me to belive there might be a better approach to module initiated communications?!?!

Thanks

Kevin...
Kevin D. Wolf
Tampa, FL

#19 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

That statement leads me to belive there might be a better approach to module initiated communications?!?!

You can make use of the fact that the communication happens in both directions, so the mainboard can receive payload size early enough and can update its data byte counter accordingly to clock out the desired number of bytes from the slave (e.g. BytesToBeReceived += (YYY - PayloadOffset) or something like that). You can use dummy bytes to fill in places where the code needs to get some time for processing, if necessary.

#20 ByteMaster

ByteMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

You can make use of the fact that the communication happens in both directions, so the mainboard can receive payload size early enough and can update its data byte counter accordingly to clock out the desired number of bytes from the slave (e.g. BytesToBeReceived += (YYY - PayloadOffset) or something like that). You can use dummy bytes to fill in places where the code needs to get some time for processing, if necessary.

Thanks CW2 - sounds like a good approach. Is there a way I can do this in the standard NETMF SPI class? It seems like the calls "Write and WriteRead" are really atomic and no real way to change the byte counter mid-stream, they are sort-of fire and forget, set the buffers or bytes to read and/or write, then call the methods.
Kevin D. Wolf
Tampa, FL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.