Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

[nwazet Go! modules - update announcements

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

I have updated the [Nwazet Touch Display firmware and the corresponding C# interface to support non-blocking touch event scanning.
In addition, there's a new 'Binaries' folder in the repository containing the release builds of our module firmware(s) and C# drivers.

For reference, here's the link to our BitBucket repository.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#2 ByteMaster

ByteMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Excellent! Great work! This is HUGE, it opens up lots of doors! What is the best way to get the bits into the STM32 without bricking it? :)
Kevin D. Wolf
Windows Phone Development MVP
President Software Logistics, LLC
Tampa, FL

#3 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hi Kevin,
Last week, Chris Walker mentioned that he would release a generic module flashing application this week.

If not, you can flash any STM8 / STM32 chips yourself using the following items:
Flashing procedure:
  • Plug the 3.3v line of the FTDI cable into the positive power rail of the breadboard
  • Plug the GND line of the FTDI cable into the GND rail of the breadboard
  • Plug in the breakout socket into the Go!Bus connector of the display
  • Connect the breakout socket as follows:
    • Pin 3 (module GPIO/IRQ) to the breadboard's 3.3v rail using a 1K resistor
    • Pin 10 (module GND) to the breadboard's GND rail
    • Pin 4 (module RX) to the Orange (TXD) line on the FTDI cable
    • Pin 5 (module TX) to the Yellow (RXD) line on the FTDI cable
  • Connect Pin 1 on the breakout socket to the breadboard's 3.3v rail last: the display will power up and you will see a white screen instead of the [nwazet logo, indicating that the Touch Display module is in bootloader mode
  • Using ST's Flash Loader Demonstrator and the 'NwazetDisplayModule.bin' from the \Binaries folder, you can now flash the STM32F205 chip with the new firmware (specify 512KB of flash).
  • Keep in mind that ST's utility can be a bit flaky at times and things may not work correctly on the first try. If that happens, it's OK. For instance, you may have to unlock flash pages explicitly from the tool. If something doesn't work, just remove power from the module, close the ST Flash Loader Demonstrator and start the procedure over.
  • You cannot brick the Touch Display module: the method I described will always put it back into bootloader mode. Just be careful with the polarity of the power you provide to the display and you'll be fine.
Here's what the setup looks like, although I'm using a different breakout socket in this instance:

Posted Image

Another method is to solder a 10 position FCI connector to the un-populated JTAG pads on the back of the Touch Display module and flashing the module using STLink-v2 from your favorite compiler from the firmware's source code or using ST's DFU utility using the binary version of the firmware.

...Or, you could just wait for Chris' firmware flashing application Posted Image

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#4 ByteMaster

ByteMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

...Or, you could just wait for Chris' firmware flashing application Posted Image

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

Now that wouldn't be hacking now, would it?

Thanks for the detailed write-up Fabien!
Kevin D. Wolf
Tampa, FL

#5 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Awesome! This was one of the issues I was having. Amazing how quickly things get updated. Can't wait for that easy flash utility.

#6 Mike Hole

Mike Hole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Having spotted a forum post about this: http://blogs.msdn.co...neer-group.aspx Does this mean that it may be possible to port your display firmware to .NET? Or am I totally wrong? Regards, Mike Orrigional post: http://forums.netdui...o-the-stm32-f4/

#7 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Is there any chance of sending displays back for them to get reflashed to the latest-greatest?

#8 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Having spotted a forum post about this: http://blogs.msdn.co...neer-group.aspx

Does this mean that it may be possible to port your display firmware to .NET? Or am I totally wrong?

Regards,

Mike

Orrigional post: http://forums.netdui...o-the-stm32-f4/

Hi Mike,

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Can you explain what you mean?

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#9 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi Jason,

Is there any chance of sending displays back for them to get reflashed to the latest-greatest?

Well, anything is possible :) If you're willing to take on the shipping charges for the round trip, I can help you out.
Having said that, this option does not scale and is costly. Secret Labs needs to deliver the module flashing application that the Go! community needs.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#10 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Are the new ones being sold with the new firmware?

#11 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yes: all [Nwazet Touch Display modules ship with the new firmware as of May 13th. -Fabien.

#12 Mike Hole

Mike Hole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hi Mike,

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Can you explain what you mean?

Cheers,
-Fabien.

Sorry Fabien I didn't make what I was thinking very clear. At the moment you write your firmware for the module using c rather than c#. I was thinking that with this port of the .NET MF it may be possible to write the firmware using c#.

After thinking about this and looking into the display module some more I see it uses the same ARM Chip as the Netduino Go so you could have used the same firmware.

Also I suppose using C rather than C# will create faster native code so using a CLR based framework may not perform well.

By the way what IDE do you use for the C development?

#13 NXTwoThou

NXTwoThou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Great, then I think we'll order a 3rd display, set it up, test it, make sure everything is working. Hopefully that'll give time for the software updater to become available, if not, I'll email you about possibly sending our other two in to get fixed up.

#14 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Sorry Fabien I didn't make what I was thinking very clear. At the moment you write your firmware for the module using c rather than c#. I was thinking that with this port of the .NET MF it may be possible to write the firmware using c#.

After thinking about this and looking into the display module some more I see it uses the same ARM Chip as the Netduino Go so you could have used the same firmware.

Also I suppose using C rather than C# will create faster native code so using a CLR based framework may not perform well.

By the way what IDE do you use for the C development?

We should start another thread for this discussion. I'm afraid this is way off topic Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#15 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Great, then I think we'll order a 3rd display, set it up, test it, make sure everything is working. Hopefully that'll give time for the software updater to become available, if not, I'll email you about possibly sending our other two in to get fixed up.

Ok. That woks too Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#16 ByteMaster

ByteMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hi Fabien - well I was one of the unfortunate souls that attempted to flash my module and ended up with my display in "FlashLight" mode. I 100% understand this early in the process, and this is very much to be expected, it's just the way it goes.

Another method is to solder a 10 position FCI connector to the un-populated JTAG pads on the back of the Touch Display module and flashing the module using STLink-v2 from your favorite compiler from the firmware's source code or using ST's DFU utility using the binary version of the firmware.

Anyway, I took your advice, soldered the connector on the back of the board and have ST Visual Programmer chatting with my display board. Now I just need to get the bits on it. I tried opening the project in IAR Workbench, but got an ARM Toolchain error followed by an invalid project. Converting to run w/ ST Visual Develop (the tool I use right now) seems like it might be a bit more of a challenge then I'm ready for with my current lack of knowledge :P

So I was able to open and convert the file from the BIN format, to the DFU format and then back to a S19 and HEX format. When I opened these files in STVP, it looks like the 8000000 offset disappeared and I received a "Out of range" message and nothing loaded.

I know this is beyound the "call-of-duty" for the display module support, but any chance you can point me in the direction to get the 1's and 0's from the BIN file onto the metal?

Also if there is anything else I can do to help troubleshoot this effort, I have Chris's flashing software along with the ST-Link2 ready to try "stuff". Let me know.

Thanks

Kevin...
Kevin D. Wolf
Tampa, FL

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hi Kevin,

Anyway, I took your advice, soldered the connector on the back of the board and have ST Visual Programmer chatting with my display board. Now I just need to get the bits on it. I tried opening the project in IAR Workbench, but got an ARM Toolchain error followed by an invalid project. Converting to run w/ ST Visual Develop (the tool I use right now) seems like it might be a bit more of a challenge then I'm ready for with my current lack of knowledge :P

If you're reflashing modules manually, I'd recommend using the Flash Loader Demo program via UART...or the ST-Link utility to flash via JTAG/SWD.

Chris

#18 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

Hi Kevin,

I have a solution for you to get out of "Flashlight Mode" Posted Image
  • Connect STLinkv2 to your PC
  • Start STVP and configure it for the STM32F205xE chip
  • Load the .hex version of the Touch Display firmware from the repository here (I just added it for you)
  • Make sure you're on the "Program Memory" tab in STVP and hit CTRL+P (program current tab / active sectors)
That's it.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#19 ByteMaster

ByteMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi Kevin,

I have a solution for you to get out of "Flashlight Mode" Posted Image

• Connect STLinkv2 to your PC
  • Start STVP and configure it for the STM32F205xE chip
  • Load the .hex version of the Touch Display firmware from the repository here (I just added it for you)
  • Make sure you're on the "Program Memory" tab in STVP and hit CTRL+P (program current tab / active sectors)
That's it.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

Simple enough - uploaded the bits to the device and I'm back in business, I'm very much looking forward to playing with the non-blocking touch features later today -

Thanks Fabien!

Kevin...
Kevin D. Wolf
Tampa, FL

#20 Kristoffer

Kristoffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

...... Secret Labs needs to deliver the module flashing application that the Go! community needs.

Does anyone know if this is delivered or on it's way?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.