Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

HELP Netduino Plus - Device Unknown - Unable to load Firmware

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

During investigation about Netduino Plus strange behaviours I have accidentally deleted firmware on board. I have started procedure to put it a new one (last 4.1 version or new 4.2), I have read all articles about but my really problem at the moment is that OS (I have tried with windows vista and Windows XP) does not reconize via usb the board. I have read: http://forums.netdui...rased-netduino/ http://wiki.netduino...y-Netduino.ashx but procedure fails, OS does not: -Find driver automatically -Accept ATMEL Drivers in SAM-BA folder -Accept "WONDE PROUD - Bus Controllers and Ports - GPS Camera Detect" I need help because I don't know how to go ahead and the board is empty and not usable. Thank you

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi Guastadisegni, When you run Atmel SAM-BA, does the device appear in the pulldown? Are you running SAM-BA v2.11 (the latest version)? Also...what does the device appear as in Device Manager? Is the blue LED on constantly? Welcome to the Netduino community, Chris

#3 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'm running latest version of SAM-BA 2.11, in device Manager Netduino appears, listed under USB controller, as "unknown device", blu led is on constantly. Thank you Michele

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hi Guastadisegni,

I'm running latest version of SAM-BA 2.11, in device Manager Netduino appears, listed under USB controller, as "unknown device", blu led is on constantly.

In this case, it appears that the driver is probably not installed. Try to right-click on the "unknown device" and uninstall device. Then re-discover.

Also, try erasing the Netduino Plus again (connecting a wire between the 3.3V header and the gold ERASE pad for 250ms or so). Then detach and reattach.

Finally, you may need to manually "install the driver" (SAM-BA driver) for the Netduino Plus by navigating to the SAM-BA v2.11 folder's driver.

If we take this one step at a time, we should be able to get you up and running. Unless your Netduino Plus has been damaged somehow, it shouldn't be possible to brick it.

Chris

#5 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hi Guastadisegni,

In this case, it appears that the driver is probably not installed. Try to right-click on the "unknown device" and uninstall device. Then re-discover.

Also, try erasing the Netduino Plus again (connecting a wire between the 3.3V header and the gold ERASE pad for 250ms or so). Then detach and reattach.

Finally, you may need to manually "install the driver" (SAM-BA driver) for the Netduino Plus by navigating to the SAM-BA v2.11 folder's driver.

If we take this one step at a time, we should be able to get you up and running. Unless your Netduino Plus has been damaged somehow, it shouldn't be possible to brick it.

Chris

Chris, the board worked before firmare update procedure fails.

Do you think I can try to push in firmware with a USB BUB card?

Thank you

Michele

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Chris, the board worked before firmare update procedure fails.

Do you think I can try to push in firmware with a USB BUB card?

Yes, I believe so...as long as it sends 3.3V/5V signals and understands 3.3V signals.

If you erase the board, you can reflash the TinyBooter using pins D0/D1, SAM-BA, and a USB-TTL Serial adapter (like USB BUB).

Chris

#7 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Yes, I believe so...as long as it sends 3.3V/5V signals and understands 3.3V signals.

If you erase the board, you can reflash the TinyBooter using pins D0/D1, SAM-BA, and a USB-TTL Serial adapter (like USB BUB).

Chris

Chris,
I have purchased USB-TTL board, tried to connect it but Netduino Plus board does not works, not ttl serial signal present.
During my activities I have used only usb/eth ports and I have never connected nothing to digital/analog pins, so please could you explain me how software development can damage the board?

At the moment experiments on Netduino Plus board is closed!

Thank you

Michele

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hi Guastadisegni, When you erase a Netduino Plus, the built-in SAM-BA bootloader will listen on the USB jack and/or pins D0/D1 for the PC's SAM-BA software to start communication. If the board is plugged into a computer via USB, it will ignore the serial port. To reflash the board using SAM-BA and pins D0/D1, power the board via the power barrel (or VIN header) instead. If your board is flashed with the standard Netduino firmware, you can use the special "Transport Selector" version of MFDeploy to change the debug port to COM1 (pins D0/D1) or COM2 (pins D2/D3). At that point you can debug/deploy via COM1. If the board is not working and you want to reflash it, erase it by connecting the 3V3 power to the gold ERASE pad for a second. Then unplug/reattach the board and deploy the bootloader via SAM-BA. If that doesn't work, please give us a list of exactly what you did and we can help diagose the issue with you. Chris

#9 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hi Guastadisegni,

When you erase a Netduino Plus, the built-in SAM-BA bootloader will listen on the USB jack and/or pins D0/D1 for the PC's SAM-BA software to start communication.

If the board is plugged into a computer via USB, it will ignore the serial port.

To reflash the board using SAM-BA and pins D0/D1, power the board via the power barrel (or VIN header) instead.

If your board is flashed with the standard Netduino firmware, you can use the special "Transport Selector" version of MFDeploy to change the debug port to COM1 (pins D0/D1) or COM2 (pins D2/D3). At that point you can debug/deploy via COM1.

If the board is not working and you want to reflash it, erase it by connecting the 3V3 power to the gold ERASE pad for a second. Then unplug/reattach the board and deploy the bootloader via SAM-BA. If that doesn't work, please give us a list of exactly what you did and we can help diagose the issue with you.

Chris

I have :

• purchased USB-BUB-II at http://jeelabs.com/products/usb-bub;

Posted Image
  • configured on PC the USB-BUB-II board succesfully;
  • power on my Netduino Plus board;

Posted Image
  • connected D0,D1 and GND on Netduino+ and USB BUB boards;
  • checked tx/rx ;
  • run SAM-BA v2.11 and selected com port and board type(at91sam9xe512-ek), clicked on connect button;

But serial connection has failed

Posted Image

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Hi Guastadisegni, Unfortunately there are quite a few things that could be going wrong here. One issue is that the USB UART "USB BUB" could not be recognizing the 3.3V signals from the Atmel SAM7X chip. You'd need a logic analyzer (or serial sniffer) to figure this out. Another possible issue is that the mainboard could be damaged--although I don't think that's the case. Your best and easiest bet is to use the Atmel SAM-BA drivers for the "unknown device" on your PC. Right-click on the device in MFDeploy and select "install driver..." Then manually select the Amtel drivers (from the SAM-BA installation folder). Once those are installed it should work from SAM-BA. Once you have the board flashed with the bootloader and NETMF firmware, you can switch the debug/deployment port to COM1/COM2 if you'd like. Chris

#11 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi Guastadisegni,

Unfortunately there are quite a few things that could be going wrong here.

One issue is that the USB UART "USB BUB" could not be recognizing the 3.3V signals from the Atmel SAM7X chip. You'd need a logic analyzer (or serial sniffer) to figure this out.

Another possible issue is that the mainboard could be damaged--although I don't think that's the case.

Your best and easiest bet is to use the Atmel SAM-BA drivers for the "unknown device" on your PC. Right-click on the device in MFDeploy and select "install driver..." Then manually select the Amtel drivers (from the SAM-BA installation folder). Once those are installed it should work from SAM-BA.

Once you have the board flashed with the bootloader and NETMF firmware, you can switch the debug/deployment port to COM1/COM2 if you'd like.

Chris

Cris
do you use a specific version of MFDeploy? because on my verion I have not "install driver" item.

Thank you

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Cris
do you use a specific version of MFDeploy? because on my verion I have not "install driver" item.

Thank you

So sorry, I meant "Device Manager". Install the driver in Windows, then use SAM-BA to flash the board's bootloader.

Chris

#13 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

So sorry, I meant "Device Manager". Install the driver in Windows, then use SAM-BA to flash the board's bootloader.

Chris

Cris,
I have tried on Windows Vista and Windows XP, inf file is not accept by OS.

Next suggestion?

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

I have tried on Windows Vista and Windows XP, inf file is not accept by OS.

32-bit or 64-bit? It sounds like there's something else going on with the computer...

Can you take screenshots of each step of the driver install process? Sorry, I wish I was there to click a few mouse clicks and take care of this for you...but perhaps the steps we go through here will help others.

Chris

#15 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

32-bit or 64-bit? It sounds like there's something else going on with the computer...

Can you take screenshots of each step of the driver install process? Sorry, I wish I was there to click a few mouse clicks and take care of this for you...but perhaps the steps we go through here will help others.

Chris

Cris,
my PC is a 32bit MS Windows Vista, when I try to force driver installation it ask me (in italian) if I'm sure driver is 32bit version, I have used ATMEL link on forum.

Thank you

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

my PC is a 32bit MS Windows Vista, when I try to force driver installation it ask me (in italian) if I'm sure driver is 32bit version, I have used ATMEL link on forum.

There may be a Windows-language issue, but I still think it's a driver issue. What is the VID/PID of the "unknown device" (right-click on it, properties, go to last tab, then go through the pull-down options to find VID/PID)?

Chris

#17 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

There may be a Windows-language issue, but I still think it's a driver issue. What is the VID/PID of the "unknown device" (right-click on it, properties, go to last tab, then go through the pull-down options to find VID/PID)?

Chris

Cris,
the device is different from other, I have found: USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&4E5E5ED&0&1 and device type usb\unknown.

Thank you

#18 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

the device is different from other, I have found: USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&4E5E5ED&0&1 and device type usb\unknown.

Hmm, that's not right. Can you try to erase the device again (connecting a wire between the 3V3 header and the ERASE pad)? That VID/PID is empty...

Chris

#19 Guastadisegni Michele

Guastadisegni Michele

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hmm, that's not right. Can you try to erase the device again (connecting a wire between the 3V3 header and the ERASE pad)? That VID/PID is empty...

Chris

Same result..

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

If you plug it into another PC, does that PC try to load a driver? It's started to seem like the microcontroller got zapped somehow. When did you get your board? Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.