Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

ZigBee without microcontroller

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JacopoMTK

JacopoMTK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there's a way to use a zigbee transmitter to broadcast N analog inputs directly to a netduino with a wifi receiver without having to use another microcontroller to manage the data sent by the transmitter. Or at least, if there's a way to use a zigbee transmitter with a netduino mini used as data manager. Thanks.

#2 Firegun

Firegun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there's a way to use a zigbee transmitter to broadcast N analog inputs directly to a netduino with a wifi receiver without having to use another microcontroller to manage the data sent by the transmitter.
Or at least, if there's a way to use a zigbee transmitter with a netduino mini used as data manager.

Thanks.

Hello mate,

As far as I know (I don´t have nor worked with) ZigBee cannot be used alone, it need to be "driven" by someone. It uses a serial interface (also known as UART) to communicate, so a mini will do the service (on pins 11-12) :)

Hope had helped!

#3 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

XBees can be used stand-alone I believe, I've seen it before. I don't know exactly how though. My guesses is that in command mode you can do some more stuff.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Well, ZigBee is just the specification, so it depends on what device you have in mind.

For example Digi XBee can be configured in so called API mode, which enables the transmitter to sample and send analog and/or digital inputs periodically. You'd need to flash the appropriate firmware, correctly set all the parameters - there are tutorials available on the Internet, but in most cases they need some tweaking to work correctly in a particular scenario, so you should probably refer to the manual first. Important thing to note is that the receiver has to be configured to work in API mode too (i.e. firmware flashed) and then it requires special protocol to be interfaced with a microcontroller (Netduino). There are already .NET Micro Framework libraries for that such as Grommet or MF Toolkit, I am not sure the code works on Netduino - it might need some changes.

#5 JacopoMTK

JacopoMTK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hy guys,

I'm sorry for the late reply but i didn't get the notification mail so i bumped in this post again 'accidently'...
Anyway,thanks a lot to everyone for replies.
Mh,the Digi XBee solution seems to be what i was looking for,right price and the possibility to read both analog and digital I/O onboard.
Seems that something like this will be able to do the trick (also without using an ad-hoc controller).
But i was wondering (probably that's a stupid question) there's a way to read them using a common router instead of a XBee wifi receiver?
If not,what do i need to receive the data sent by the component above?

Thanks.

#6 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

you need another XBee which receives the data and sends it to a PC or microcontroller.

PC/Microcontroller<---Serial connection--->XBee<---Radio--->XBee

EDIT: Digi offers some more advanced solutions, but I guess this would be overkill (and expensive): Wireless Routers and Gateways

#7 JacopoMTK

JacopoMTK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the connection schematic,it's simple and clear :D I saw those router and yes as you said they're absolutely way too expensive for me so i'll go for a simple receiver.Last question,the component i linked in the last post,will work both for transmit and receiver? For the manual it seems so but i ask,just to be sure,it will be not the first time i misunderstand a manual. Thanks again.

#8 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yes, these modules can transmit and receive data.

For the case you didn't notice already: Digi offers 'Series 1' and 'Series 2' modules (and DigiMesh).
It depends on your needs which module is the best for your. XBee Choice

#9 JacopoMTK

JacopoMTK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the link. For what i've to do,the series 1 with star topology will be just perfect. Thanks ;)

#10 awaiK

awaiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Note that Series 1 are not using ZigBee. Series 1 use 802.15.4, ZigBee (Series 2) is based on 802.15.4. But maybe you don't want/need ZigBee. Already confused? ;)

#11 JacopoMTK

JacopoMTK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

In the first post i used 'ZigBee' because it was the only standard i knew,but any type of transmitter that can do the job i need is fine. I'm doing a kind of 'body interface' to use with pc so the star communication (just 1 receiver and 1 transmitter) with 250Kb/s speed is fine for me.Also it has a good price :D Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.