Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Possible? Ethernet and wifi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rjccomps

rjccomps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

I'm new to the netduino, but its awesome! I'm looking into starting a project and before I go buying things I thought I'd do the smart thing and see what the community has to offer. I would like to connect my netduino by the ethernet port to an existing wired network. That would give it a dhcp address or the ability to configure static if need be. Then from there the netduino would have a wifi shield on it, serving up its own wireless network, can be adhoc or infrastructure doesn't matter. The device connecting to it could then send requests from the wifi to the ethernet network. Possible to talk across the wifi to the ethernet? Pretty much acting as a access point for the wired network except it would have its own dhcp server to hand out IP's to the wifi client. Thanks'

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi rjccomps and welcome to the forums. It could be possible to make a small http proxy I suppose, but I don't think the Netduino could replace a wireless access point completely. If you'd want that, you're better (and cheaper) off buying a normal wireless access point.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hi rjccomps, I have used these configured as an ethernet adapter with the Netduino Plus, Asus WL-330gE Edimax BR-6258n - 150Mbps Wireless Nano Router Just connect your Netduino to it to enable a wireless connection to the Netduino. It basically just allows the elimination of the wired connection to your router. The Asus is the easiest to set-up. Probably any pocket router will work. Just make sure that it can be configured as an ethernet adapter. Baxter

#4 rjccomps

rjccomps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks guys. It wouldn't be used for any major traffic routing. The concept is a "network tool". The device would plug into the ethernet cable, acting as the bridge to a wireless mobile device that doesn't have the ability to connect via ethernet. From there you can trouble shoot from the mobile device rather than lugging around a laptop.

#5 Pabs

Pabs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:57 AM

Hi rjccomps,

I have used these configured as an ethernet adapter with the Netduino Plus,

Asus WL-330gE

Edimax BR-6258n - 150Mbps Wireless Nano Router

Just connect your Netduino to it to enable a wireless connection to the Netduino. It basically just allows the elimination of the wired connection to your router. The Asus is the easiest to set-up. Probably any pocket router will work. Just make sure that it can be configured as an ethernet adapter.

Baxter

Hey Baxter,
I'm interested in doing something pretty similar. Can you give me some more details on how you're actually doing this?

Are you just connecting the router (in wireless-to-ethernet mode) to the netduino to get internet on the netduino via wireless?

My intention is essentially to create a wireless hotspot and turn it on or off via the netduino. Any way to do this?

Thanks,
-Pabs

#6 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hi Pabs, Here is a link to my experience with the ASUS access point, http://forums.netdui...hernet-adapter/ To get access to your netduino from the internet you need to setup a dynDns account and port forward on your router to your Netduino web server. This can be a bit of a pain for testing purposes behind your router (e.g. from the LAN) without router NAT loopback capability. DD-WRT and Tomato enabled routers have this capability. Cuno Pfister's relay server avoids these issues, http://www.gsiot.info/yaler I suppose you might be able to use the Netduino to control a relay to power the hotspot on/off. I don't know much about hotspots (e.g. their ability to go on standby via a network command). It seems, however, that you would need something smart attached to your hotspot to a react to a command; possibly a pair of Pololu wireless Wixels if you are not using your primary Netduino and the hotspot is remote. Hook one to your Netduino to act as a network-serial bridge and the other to your hotspot. Baxter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.