Powering the Netduino Go! with a Lipo - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Powering the Netduino Go! with a Lipo

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

See the attached picture. I connected a 3.7V lipo battery to the Netduino Go! for my ubrella project.

For this I used these breakout boards from Sparkfun:
- Power Cell - LiPo Charger/Booster
- USB MicroB Plug Breakout Board

And of course a Polymer Lithium Ion Battery.

Attached File  DSCN2634.JPG   290.08KB   160 downloads
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#2 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

That is one thin battery!
LiPo Booster...sounds like the opposite of LiPo SuctionPosted Image

Seriously though, what is the purpose/function of the charger/booster?

Also, tthat lexan-like platter beneath it all with bunch of holes seems very handy, wonder where you got that - made it yourself?

#3 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Seriously though, what is the purpose/function of the charger/booster?

The lipo outputs 3.7V
The Netduino Go requests 5V
The Booster-part takes care of this; it converts 3.7V to 5V (Ohms law, just changes the amps I suppose)
The charger-part is the micro USB socket on the bottom of the breakout, it charges the lipo when connected to USB

Also, tthat lexan-like platter beneath it all with bunch of holes seems very handy, wonder where you got that - made it yourself?

I know, they're awesome, aren't they? B) Got it at http://www.nwazet.co...unting-solution
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#4 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

I see, at least I ought to get me one of those hole platters but I'll probably go for something more old fashioned like masonite wood - lexan means ESD to me...

#5 mtylerjr

mtylerjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

I see, at least I ought to get me one of those hole platters but I'll probably go for something more old fashioned like masonite wood - lexan means ESD to me...

I quite like the Nwazet mounting plates, although Ive found that it helps to buy a few of the smaller plates to cluster the small modules in more custom configurations, when used in conjunction with the large plate. The large plate is a bit limited in the places you can succesfully mount the small modules.

The photo on the Nwazet website is a tiiiiny bit deceptive imho - if you look carefully at the two items on the top - the shieldbase isnt mounted to the large plate, it needed a small plate as an intermediary. The relay module is also a different size than the other small modules, which themselves wouldnt be mountable up there (no compatible hole combinations)

Having said that though, buying the smaller plates, and mounting the modules on those, and then mounting those onto the large plate with standoffs gives you a great deal more options - you have considerably more ways to line up the mounting holes - a lot more freedom.

So, if you get the large plate, be sure to grab 2-3 of the small plates too - and some standoffs if you dont have any available - you wont regret it :)

Overall I am am very happy with the mounting plates - and basically everything I've ordered from nwazet so far. I seem to be accumulating their stickers. (I wish there were equivalent Netduino Go!/Secret Labs stickers!)

I also wish they sold the mounting plates on amazon, where I get the free shipping :)

#6 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

The photo on the Nwazet website is a tiiiiny bit deceptive imho - if you look carefully at the two items on the top - the shieldbase isnt mounted to the large plate, it needed a small plate as an intermediary.

I ran into that problem this weekend. Made a very ugly adapter out of some foam core board. I have to order a few of the small plats I guess.

I also wanted to mount some GHI LEDs and other misc parts, but ran out of places to mount them.

-Eric

#7 Bertrand Le Roy

Bertrand Le Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi there. Bertrand here. I'm the guy who designed the plates, and they are imperfect, as there was stuff we didn't know when we cut them. There will be improvements on future batches, but I'd like our early customers to not be limited nonetheless. Here's what I did on my own prototypes, which were actually from smaller and earlier batches that had less holes than the ones you have: drill more holes. About the shield base, yes I've been using a small plate as an adapter of sorts, but it's not the only way. It's quite easy to add new holes with a Dremel tool if you mark the spot carefully first. I'm attaching a template that you can print to the right dimensions that has additional holes for the relay and shield base (shield base goes to the right of the go; is that an acceptable position?). Let me know what you think.

Attached Files

#8 mtylerjr

mtylerjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hi there. Bertrand here. I'm the guy who designed the plates, and they are imperfect, as there was stuff we didn't know when we cut them. There will be improvements on future batches, but I'd like our early customers to not be limited nonetheless.
Here's what I did on my own prototypes, which were actually from smaller and earlier batches that had less holes than the ones you have: drill more holes.
About the shield base, yes I've been using a small plate as an adapter of sorts, but it's not the only way. It's quite easy to add new holes with a Dremel tool if you mark the spot carefully first. I'm attaching a template that you can print to the right dimensions that has additional holes for the relay and shield base (shield base goes to the right of the go; is that an acceptable position?). Let me know what you think.

I didnt mean to sound critical.. I love the plates. In fact, I just ordered 3 more not 5 minutes ago (along with another touch screen and 30cm cable!)

So drilling the plates works well? I was going to try that, but I was afraid of big chips along the edges, and I didnt want to ruin the beatiful plate!

#9 Bertrand Le Roy

Bertrand Le Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

So drilling the plates works well? I was going to try that, but I was afraid of big chips along the edges, and I didnt want to ruin the beatiful plate!

No, it works beautifully. Wear safety goggles for chips but otherwise it should be pretty clean. That acrylic is fairly soft.

#10 Mattster

Mattster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Locationusually South Florida

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

drilling was the easiest solution

#11 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

See the attached picture. I connected a 3.7V lipo battery to the Netduino Go! for my ubrella project.

For this I used these breakout boards from Sparkfun:
- Power Cell - LiPo Charger/Booster
- USB MicroB Plug Breakout Board

And of course a Polymer Lithium Ion Battery.

Attached File  DSCN2634.JPG   290.08KB   160 downloads

Nicely done. I am using a similar setup for Pandora's Box, except I am wired into the protoshield for providing power. In order to charge my unit, I spliced into the FTDI card because this is the only USB port exposed to the end user for both charging and communication with the windows application. I have a 3700 mah LiPo. Takes a couple hours to charge fully, but can run Pandora's box for about 12 hours.

#12 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

You could also use the same breakout, and connect the FTDI power pins to the charger breakout. I read charging a 3.7V lipo with 5V directly could be tricky. Also, the breakout provides a regulated 5V output to the Netduino.

#13 dblml320

dblml320

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

No, it works beautifully. Wear safety goggles for chips but otherwise it should be pretty clean. That acrylic is fairly soft.

I am running into the same issues. Would it be possible to have a board that has a large matrix of concentric holes to make the mounting of the different size GO modules much easier?

Also for drilling holes I have found that using a sharpie pen (not a marker) you can lay the GO board on the plastic, and the sharpie pen has such a long and narrow tip, you can draw perfect guide markers for drilling.

DB Lection

#14 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

I am running into the same issues. Would it be possible to have a board that has a large matrix of concentric holes to make the mounting of the different size GO modules much easier?

You mean like the Tamiya base plate?

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#15 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

Overall I am am very happy with the mounting plates - and basically everything I've ordered from nwazet so far. I seem to be accumulating their stickers. (I wish there were equivalent Netduino Go!/Secret Labs stickers!)

I love the Nwazet plates as well but I never got Nwazet stickers with my orders.

#16 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

I love the Nwazet plates as well but I never got Nwazet stickers with my orders.

Really!? I'll have to remedy that with twice the amount of stickers on your next order! Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#17 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Really!? I'll have to remedy that with twice the amount of stickers on your next order! Posted Image

Cheers,
-Fabien.

That sounds great :)

#18 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hi Stefan, does that circuit that you have connected to the LiPo keep it from falling under 3v and damaging the battery?

#19 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hi Stefan, does that circuit that you have connected to the LiPo keep it from falling under 3v and damaging the battery?

I believe so, but you can better ask sparkfun, who made the board :)

#20 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I believe so, but you can better ask sparkfun, who made the board :)

Will do :) The reason I asked is because I have radio control planes with brushless motors and the ESC in them cuts the power when it reaches certain threshold, aprox. 3.15 volts per cell (4.2v per cell fully charged) or 75% of remaining voltage to avoid damaging the LiPo battery pack.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.