Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Debug.GC locks up netduino

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tracstarr

tracstarr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

I've just spent several hours tracking down a strange error and looking for any insight. I have a routine that parses a string and it makes calls to Debug.GC(true) on several occasions. However, at seemingly random times, but always in this function, during a call to Debug.GC it seems to lock up the netduino. Debugging just seems to stop working although showing connected and I'm forced to reset. As soon as I comment out the calles to Debug.GC everything works fine and dandy. I'm using the latest firmware. Any thoughts?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hi tracstarr, Hmm, that shouldn't happen. About how much RAM do you have left when Debug.GC is called? [This function returns the amount of available RAM.] Also...can I ask why you're calling Debug.GC? There was a bug in .NET MF 4.1 where Debug.GC provided a workaround...but that's no longer necessary with .NET MF 4.2. Chris

#3 tracstarr

tracstarr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hey Chris. It's actually another developers project http://kaushikspotse...s.codeplex.com/ that was calling it. It may have been written prior to 4.2, so if it's no longer necessary (as i've already removed it anyway), then I won't concern myself too much.

The strange thing was that using the demo app for the library, all worked well, but my much larger app didn't until removing the calls. I'm not sure what was being returned from the calls (before one of them crashes it). If it would help anything I can take a look.

Hi tracstarr,

Hmm, that shouldn't happen. About how much RAM do you have left when Debug.GC is called? [This function returns the amount of available RAM.]

Also...can I ask why you're calling Debug.GC? There was a bug in .NET MF 4.1 where Debug.GC provided a workaround...but that's no longer necessary with .NET MF 4.2.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.