Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Is it possible to power on/off the 3V3 pin?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Søren Randrup

Søren Randrup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have a netduino plus with a transeiver attached as a SPI-device. The transiever needs to be powered off everytime the netduino is restarted. Is it possible to programatically power off/on the 3V3 pin?

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi Søren and welcome to the Netduino Forums, What you ask is not possible, but you could use a transistor on a digital pin and switch 3V3 with that. That way you can still power on/off the 3V3 pin.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Søren Randrup

Søren Randrup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks, Stefan.

#4 Stefan W.

Stefan W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

If you truly need 3V3 there, you'd need to use a voltage regulator with an enable/disable input, as a transistor incurs a voltage drop.
I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.
-- H.L. Mencken, "What I Believe"

#5 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

...or you could use a solid state switch, I don't think there's a voltage drop over such a device.

#6 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

Best thing to do here is use a MOSFET, which wires up roughly like a transistor.

#7 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

Just add my one-cent... I'd like to know how much current the device will require, then I'll decide for the best option. Moreover, switching the supply only might not be enough. Consider that the SPI bus is still wired, and even cutting the device supply, there is current flowing through the SPI bus. At this point, if the current required is some mA, you could consider a CD4016/CD4066 (or similar). They are solid-state switches (MOSFET), which can be used to cut both the supply and the SPI signals. One chip contains 4 switches, and it costs a bunch of cents. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.