Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Stay close to your computer (or come to MakerFaire)...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

I just received confirmation from FedEx that our overseas community members have started receiving their new 'CW0007' boards... Deliveries in the USA start in eight hours or so...

#22 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

* cough cough * http://forums.netdui...waitwhats-this/

#23 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

Not enough emoticons available. BTW, are you really in NY area (as stated in your profile)? 3:50 AM? Posted Image

#24 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

Not enough emoticons available. BTW, are you really in NY area (as stated in your profile)? 3:50 AM? Posted Image

Yes, and it's bedtime for sure :)

Chris

#25 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Ok first thoughts after reading the specs: 1. YAY! Onboard SD! WOOT! 2. Onboard ethernet = good (not really necessary for me but being a network engineer, I like it) 3. Same processor - no boost. Sad panda. 4. Same number of pins. Sad panda. 5. Same form factor - mixed feelings about this - I get the part about maintaining arduino pin compatibility but was kind of hoping in my heart of hearts for a slightly larger board (so there'd be more room for pins - see #4). 6. Really wish someone would put a JST header for power input (with a regulator or a step-up) so people can use single cell 3.7V LiPo batteries to power this thing. 7. No additional memory or flash - if you throw the networking stack in - ouchies. 8. Still only 2 UARTs. :( Very sad panda. Overall, and I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, a very nice product but I had hoped for "more". I wanted something revolutionary rather than evolutionary. Faster processor. A bit more RAM/Flash. More GPIO pins available to me without having to mux it through I2C. Heck if you want my "wishlist" I wish there were headers for an Xbee on it too! Oh - and DEFINITELY more UARTs. This is something I will definitely use in a couple of projects I am working on, like signal controller on my model railroad, but I'm still waiting for "more" like I said to replace other microcontrollers.

#26 Patrick

Patrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

ARGHHHH!!! If I didn't just fry my sd shield and already order the second, I'd fork over the money... Looks nice!

#27 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hi greg, We have some ideas along those lines too... In the meantime, there are some (non-open-source) .NET MF boards out there with higher pin count and higher speed processors like the Device Solutions Tahoe II board, ChipworkX, etc. Chris

#28 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi greg,

We have some ideas along those lines too...

In the meantime, there are some (non-open-source) .NET MF boards out there with higher pin count and higher speed processors like the Device Solutions Tahoe II board, ChipworkX, etc.

Chris

Yeah but I prefer to work in open-source for stuff like this if possible. I don't mind closed-source when I need a support contract but if it's hobbyist stuff open-source is the way to go.

I was just posting my thoughts on the specs - I like the direction and the onboard SD is a BIG help - and the ethernet too.

#29 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

Still not yet available with Makershed... :( I want to know how much... I'm doing a talk to the local .NET user group in October... and I need a 2nd Netduino... I'd like to get one of these new ones, to show them both off.
~ Eric D. Burdo ~ http://brick-labs.com/

Today LED's, tomorrow, the world!!! Well, OK, maybe servos.

#30 klotz

klotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Yes, and it's bedtime for sure :)

Chris

I noticed the spec's http://www.netduino....oplus/specs.htm say the microSD holds up to 2Gb. Is this because the Plus uses SPI to talk to the SD card or is it a software limit?

#31 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

I noticed the spec's http://www.netduino....oplus/specs.htm say the microSD holds up to 2Gb. Is this because the Plus uses SPI to talk to the SD card or is it a software limit?

klotz,

A bit of both. But mostly a software limitation. If there's interest, we can start a community project to expand this to 4GB or beyond (for MicroSD cards that support SPI).

Chris

#32 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Alright folks, here you go! :)

The official announcement and "public beta" notes

Full tech specs and details

#33 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Alright folks, here you go! :)

The official announcement and "public beta" notes

Full tech specs and details

Wow tis awesome

#34 Mark H

Mark H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:36 AM

klotz,

A bit of both. But mostly a software limitation. If there's interest, we can start a community project to expand this to 4GB or beyond (for MicroSD cards that support SPI).

Chris

Any chance of going native on the uSD rather than using SPI so as to get the higher speed read/write?

#35 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

Any chance of going native on the uSD rather than using SPI so as to get the higher speed read/write?

The fast "Real SD" mode is not native supported by the Atmel MCU, but it's something we can look at supporting in a future board revision (either in hardware or software).

Thank you very much for the feedback, Mark.

Chris

#36 dab

dab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA, USA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

klotz,

Chris

As a member of the community, I'd be interested in the project to expand the microSD capacity...
Thanks,
~ David ~

#37 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

As a member of the community, I'd be interested in the project to expand the microSD capacity...

Would you be interested in helping implement (Micro)SDHC libraries using SPI? Helping lead the team?

Chris

#38 dab

dab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationBellevue, WA, USA

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

Would you be interested in helping implement (Micro)SDHC libraries using SPI?

Sure.

Helping lead the team?

Uuhm, depends on what you mean by "team". ;)
Thanks,
~ David ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.