Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Delay or getting stuck at deployment "Preparing to deploy assemblies to the device."

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 orange

orange

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hello, I frequently run into cases where MS Visual C# gets stuck or delays deployment where the message is: "Preparing to deploy assemblies to the device." My solution is to disconnect USB and reconnect. Sometimes it fails and I redo, sometimes it simply works and reboots netduino and we are done. Overall this process is very slow and gets on people's nerves. I don't see this in forums being addressed. Is there a solution for this? My firmware and Visual C# are the latest stable versions. Thanks

#2 Magpie

Magpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationAustralia (south island)

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I find it a bit tedious too, if it really doesn't want to cooperate Cancel any deploy that is happening. I pull out the usb Tell VS to Deploy app Wait 5 seconds plug in the usb

Edited by Magpie, 13 March 2012 - 11:10 AM.

STEFF Shield High Powered Led Driver shield.

#3 orange

orange

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

I find it a bit tedious too, if it really doesn't want to cooperate
I pull out the usb
Tell VS to Deploy app
Wait 5 seconds
plug in the usb

Exactly ! :)) I found out that's the best path after doing it 200,300 times. Very interesting that you found the same thing.

However, sometimes I have to do fail, cancel, retry. Yet other times even this gets %100 stuck and doesn't go forward after a minute.

Perhaps timing should be kinda accurately 5 seconds...

#4 Magpie

Magpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

I think (but I'm not really sure) that by telling visual studio to download before the Netduino is powered, It gives an oppurtunity to catch the Netduino in the bootloader. Otherwise if you dont catch it in the bootloader and if you have a certain type of bug in your code, possibly a very tight loop, you may somehow never give breathing space to the debug mechanism, to talk with VS via it's normal pins and/or give its thread enough time etc.

#5 willgeorge

willgeorge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

My solution is to disconnect USB and reconnect.. Mine also.. I have had this problem since day one but I have learned not to let it get to me. Now it is part of the 'fun' of coding the Netduino. I do have to admit that the USB connector on the Netduino is of the best quality based upon the amount of times I have had to unplug and plug it back in ;>). I also have occasional restarting of the Microsoft Visual Express 2010 (Sort of re-boots itself) as in the visual express application closes itself and restarts. It does restart with the Netduino application I was working with. The only thing I know for sure that causes it is having something running in a tight loop as Magpie has noted.

#6 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I think (but I'm not really sure)
that by telling visual studio to download before the Netduino is powered, It gives an oppurtunity to catch the Netduino in the bootloader.

Otherwise if you dont catch it in the bootloader and if you have a certain type of bug in your code, possibly a very tight loop, you may somehow never give breathing space to the debug mechanism, to talk with VS via it's normal pins and/or give its thread enough time etc.

I agree with your assessment. I actually built into my menu on my ND+ a "Upgrade" item that stops the tight loop. This enabled the deploy to work reliably.

#7 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

I have a similar routine of unplugging the USB cable and re-plugging. I usually wait for the blue light on the netduino to go off, but it still doesn't always work. I have a main loop, but I certainly would not characterize it as tight, although I do have multiple threads, each running a loop. I wonder if it could be high CPU Utilization on the Netduino that is blocking or slowing the subsequent deployment.... hmmm. -Valkyrie-MT

#8 ElectricHillbilly

ElectricHillbilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I have gotten around this by running the Reboot and Stop command from the plugins -> debug menu in MFDeploy. On my x64 machine, MFDeploy is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Tools. I run this command before every deployment, and i havent had the problem creep up on my recently. Could be coincidence, but It seems to work.

#9 Bendage

Bendage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

I find it a bit tedious too, if it really doesn't want to cooperate
I pull out the usb
Tell VS to Deploy app
Wait 5 seconds
plug in the usb

What firmware are you using? I upgraded to 4.2 last night and now when I pull the usb plug out I get a Blue Screen of Death. This happening to anyone?

#10 Magpie

Magpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Yes using 4.2 rc4 you must cancel deploy before pulling out the usb.

#11 Geancarlo2

Geancarlo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

What I used to do was: -cancel deployment/compilation on VS -disable netduino driver on Device Manager -replug netduino into usb -enable netduino once again This solved BSOD issues as far as i remember.

#12 Bendage

Bendage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Am I missing something? When the compiler is waiting for the board to respond, I do not recall a cancel button.

#13 Geancarlo2

Geancarlo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

You gotta add that build toolbar and press the red circled button or hit ctrl+break(on my default configuration).

Attached Files

#14 Bendage

Bendage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well I'll be dammed! nice find!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.