Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Wire connections

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:22 AM

Scenario: You have your Netduino (Plus), and some number of discrete components on their own boards. These components need 3.3V power, and have male pin headers for input. The Netduino Plus has a single 3.3V that needs to be split out between these components (and ground for that matter, although I figure once you solve it for one, easy enough to repeat for the others). What is your preferred way to connect to them?

I've thought of... using this style of connector (something like these) of which I have sitting around the house in abundance already (although I need to make sure they will take the smaller gauges). While looking at those I also found these connectors.

I've been trying to avoid the need for my own separate board to use as a splitter (hence the other components on their own board). This partially due to limited space in the enclosure I'm planning to put things in. These connectors can "float", not needing their own mounting space.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts/opinions on how you've done this. Thanks

#2 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi Adam,

You could just use screw terminals. They are a bit chunky, but they cheap, allow multiple wires to be inserted in each end, are re-usable, and do not require any special tools.

I like to use 0.1" pin headers on boards that I make myself. You can make these up into almost any length, and can have one or more rows of pins. You can also get them in right angle for where there is not much space.

There are crimp sockets that fit nicely onto them, and you can get shells in various sizes to hold an array of sockets.
For joining wires or maybe where you are running a wire from a Netduino header (female) to another board, you can also get crimp plugs too, and I believe these also fit the same shells (I have some of these but have not yet tried the shells).

The shells are re-usable, but the crimps are not.

One drawback is that whilst you can make up the crimps with careful use of a pair of pliers (or very very careful soldering), if you are doing a batch of them you will want to get a crimp tool. Unfortunately, whilst the crimps and shells are almost pocket money prices, at £30 the crimp tool is not. (I remember having to save up my paper round money to buy stuff.)

In your case, I would guess that you could use some 8 and 6 way shells, fit them with male plugs, connect them to the Netduino and run the wires to where ever you wanted.
Since the shells are about the same height as the headers on the Netduino, if space above the Netduino is at a premium, you could put a right angle header into the Netduino sockets first and then connect at right angles either using sockets or by soldering to the right angle header.

Paul

#3 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi Adam,

You could just use screw terminals. They are a bit chunky, but they cheap, allow multiple wires to be inserted in each end, are re-usable, and do not require any special tools.

I like to use 0.1" pin headers on boards that I make myself. You can make these up into almost any length, and can have one or more rows of pins. You can also get them in right angle for where there is not much space.

There are crimp sockets that fit nicely onto them, and you can get shells in various sizes to hold an array of sockets.
For joining wires or maybe where you are running a wire from a Netduino header (female) to another board, you can also get crimp plugs too, and I believe these also fit the same shells (I have some of these but have not yet tried the shells).

The shells are re-usable, but the crimps are not.

One drawback is that whilst you can make up the crimps with careful use of a pair of pliers (or very very careful soldering), if you are doing a batch of them you will want to get a crimp tool. Unfortunately, whilst the crimps and shells are almost pocket money prices, at £30 the crimp tool is not. (I remember having to save up my paper round money to buy stuff.)

In your case, I would guess that you could use some 8 and 6 way shells, fit them with male plugs, connect them to the Netduino and run the wires to where ever you wanted.
Since the shells are about the same height as the headers on the Netduino, if space above the Netduino is at a premium, you could put a right angle header into the Netduino sockets first and then connect at right angles either using sockets or by soldering to the right angle header.

Paul

Paul - those terminal blocks might work. I hadn't thought about those before. I'll probably wait until I get my enclosure in to make sure things fit where I'm expecting them to. But I can probably find somewhere to mount that - even if it's on the side of the enclosure or something.

Good to know that those male/female headers work well - I had just ordered some of the same (directly from Pololu since I'm in the US) with the hopes that they would!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.