Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

If needing to purch 10 or 20 boards, can we purch direct?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Looking to see if secret labs will sell direct in qty. thx!

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi samjones, For customers needing hundreds or thousands of units, we can do direct sales; otherwise one of our resellers will be happy to take care of you. Many of them offer discounts on tens of boards (SparkFun is one example). Chris

#3 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Chris, Thanks. Waah! (Was hoping to get a better discount direct.) I guess the question is: If we need (N x 10^2) or more boards, do we end up netting out building our own board? (When we would rather purchase at cost + % from secret labs and avoid the engineering effort.)

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

To put things in perspective, the cost of the parts + assembly on a few dozen boards will likely cost more than the discounted volume price that resellers like SparkFun provide. The Netduinos are very heavily discounted, largely due to our economics of scale. We did that because we wanted to get as many people into the maker world as possible...but it has the adverse side-effective of making it seem like the boards cost very little to make. Economically, you're probably better off buying Netduinos until you get into ten thousand or so units. Of course, Netduino is open source...and you are welcome to build boards for your own use or derivatives for any use. I just wanted to put the economic realities out there to make sure you could do the calculations before spending your hard-earned money. Chris

#5 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Chris, Thanks for the perspective. We will look at all of the above, of course, before taking action. The netduino plus board (what we use) plus all the other gizmos (wifi bridge for $35, case, psu, other parts, cables) adds up to higher than ideal for our whole device. So I am researching options. Side note: Can we contact you directly RE watchdog in 4.2?

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

Side note: Can we contact you directly RE watchdog in 4.2?

Sure thing. I will have more info regarding watchdog for you in a few weeks... Stay tuned.

Chris

#7 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

Sure thing. I will have more info regarding watchdog for you in a few weeks... Stay tuned.

That is the best news I have heard this week!

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.