Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Mini only runs when com port attached

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CowboyBob72

CowboyBob72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

My mini onlys runs when there is a com port attached to it. If I hook up 5V and ground to a power soure it will not run. How do I get it to run standalone w/o a com port attached?

#2 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

It should run equally well without a serial being attached so maybe there's something wrong with the code you're trying to run. 5V and GND ground should be applied to pins 21 and 23 respectively.

#3 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

From the netduino specs: pin 21: 5 VDC regulated (input/output) pin 24: 7.5 - 12.0 VDC (input) If you use 5V as power source, it's best to put it at pin 21, not pin 24
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#4 CowboyBob72

CowboyBob72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm trying to run it off of a 9V battery, so I'm using pins 24 and 23. When it's hooked to a comm port I am using a Sparkfun USB/TTL converter and I use the 5V off the TTL board to run the Netduino and it works fine as long as TX and RX are also hooked up to the TTL converter.

#5 Geancarlo

Geancarlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

The 5V LDO regulator may be the culprit...you could check it by disconnecting everything else from your netduino mini and have it powered by the battery. Then you can measure the voltage on the +5V pin of your netduino to see if it is properly regulating.(by the way I don't know your level of expertise but I'll assume you have it wired correctly) Another thing you should check is if the battery is discharged<again use a voltmeter to measure it's voltage output>. Last time I checked, netduino plus is kinda power-hungry and those 9V batteries can't supply much current.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.