Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Cannot Ping

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

This has become a total nightmare - ugh! :) I switched to my XP machine to start dev, I cannot deploy and it will not ping with MFDeploy, unless I'm holding the reset button when I plug in the N+ (and that's only on a rare occasion that it even responds.) I've reflashed firmware and the bootloader and still nothing. What'd I miss?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hi jwjames83, Is it working with another computer--but not this one? What version of firmware are you using? Also...try erasing the current app on your Netduino. It may be locking out the debugger. Chris

#3 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

Thanks Chris for responding so quickly.

Yes, it works on the other machine which is running Win7-64 Home Premium. Switched over to my XP-32 and that's when it all went kaput! I just uninstalled, and reinstalled the N-SDK to see if that helped, along with removing all drivers.

Using the latest 4.2 RC4, and already wiped the application.

The differences I see are:
(non-working vs working)
1) 32-bit vs 64
2) Visual Studio 2010 vs Visual C# Express 2010
3) Several addons, although disabled on the non-working vs. none on the working machine.

Was able to ping this time and then followed it up with a device capabilities query, which I received this:

Pinging... TinyBooter
Bootloader build info: Netduino Plus (v4.2.0.0 RC4) by Secret Labs LLC
Not Supported

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

jwjames, It looks like you're in bootloader mode. Can you erase your current app and then use the "reboot CLR" feature? This may be a Windows XP-related glitch in the NETMF drivers...which we can submit as a bug to netmf.codeplex.com. We have 4.2 beta drivers as well...not sure if they'll help or not on XP...but I'd recommending trying them. Chris

#5 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Tried it - no dice, still getting a "No response" type message. I can only get a response while holding the button down when it's first plugged in. Will look for the drivers and try those out. For grins, I plugged it in to the Win7/64 machine just now and it works just fine. Odd, and a bit frustrating but - c'est la vie!

#6 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Just tried installing the beta drivers, couldn't even do that. I get a "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware." error. Blah...

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Hi jwjames83, Unfortunately it sounds like unhapiness between something that's installed on your computer and the NETMF drivers powering the Netduino (since the hardware works fine on another machine). :( We can help file a bug report with the NETMF team and see what they can do to help diagnose the bug (kernel dumps, etc.). But honestly the first suggestion there--and quite possibly the first required step--may be "something on your computer is causing driver issues...have you tried to reinstall a clean version of Windows XP?" How would you like us to proceed? We want to help make you successful, but it sounds like the hardware is working right (and we know that the driver works on Windows XP 32-bit based on extensive in-field use). But again, we want to help... Chris

#8 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Chris - no worries. I'll go ahead and wipe my XP machine as I haven't developed much on it in a while. Just finished re-formatting my Win7/64 machine so I'm trying to get that one back up to pace; might have a chance to do the XP one later tonight; will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

#9 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Okay - just wrapped up reformatting my XP machine and have installed nothing but Visual C# Express 2010, Chrome and Dropbox . . . and still cannot ping it through MFDeploy. Suggestions?

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Hi jwjames83, Does the device appear in MFDeploy (in the pulldown)? Which Netduino SDK version did you install (i.e. which drivers)? Chris

#11 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

Yup - it appears in the dropdown menu. Using 4.2/RC4; updated to it the day or two after it was released and have been working with it fine on the Win7/64 machine, but will be giving it up soon, so thought I'd continue dev on my XP/32 machine. Here's some stuff I'm observing: * Blue LED turns off, so .Net should be running (right?) * If I unplug, press and hold the button / switch on it, then plug it back in - I can ping. * Prior to erasing the app, it ran the program perfectly, I could tell because it would blink the onboard LED whenever it received a certain message via TCP. The N+ currently has no application loaded on it.

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

So you can ping it when you're in bootloader mode--but not when the NETMF runtime is booted? If you erase your current app again while in bootloader mode and then reconnect...can you ping? Chris

#13 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

No, I cannot. When I'm erasing, it takes 3 seconds (I remembered it taking longer for some reason) - and also, I erase the "Deployment" sector, correct? Not the "Firmware."

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:11 AM

No, I cannot.

When I'm erasing, it takes 3 seconds (I remembered it taking longer for some reason) - and also, I erase the "Deployment" sector, correct? Not the "Firmware."

Correct.

It appears that this may be an incompatibility between the operating system, USB controller in your PC, and .NET Micro Framework.

How would you like to proceed? There's not a lot we can do other than file a bug report at netmf.codeplex.com and vote it up... I'm not quite sure what to do for you and this older machine... :(

Chris

#15 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

No worries . . . I do have one more machine I can try - though I hate it (it's a Vaio!) That one right now has Ubuntu on it, but I can reinstall Vista. FYI - for documentation purposes, this is a Dell Inspiron E1405 - purchased July 2006 . . . wow, it is old! Still runs like a charm though. :D Thanks for all of your help & interest! Thought I'd try here in case I'm missing something obvious, still green in this stuff. It's strange though that it talks during bootloader mode only.

#16 jwjames83

jwjames83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

It's alive! As one who gives up on nothing until I'm satisfied with the answer: I uninstalled, then re-installed the drivers for the USB controller and now it's working. Rather excited - this is my preferred dev machine.

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

It's alive!

As one who gives up on nothing until I'm satisfied with the answer: I uninstalled, then re-installed the drivers for the USB controller and now it's working. Rather excited - this is my preferred dev machine.

:) :) :)

#18 mattcro

mattcro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Aha, this might be the cause of my problems with 4.2RC3 and WinXP. Some time ago I had observed that I could not get ND+ to reliably (if at all) respond. It was fine with 4.1 firmware, and 4.2 worked fine on a Win7/64 machine and a Vista32 laptop. I've since updated the USB drivers on the Win32 PC which helped with other hardware (laggy game controllers) but I never thought to try the ND+... must give it a go again.

#19 366cobra

366cobra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hi,

got same problem, but unfortunately removing the usb driver using device manager and then reinstalling it does not work.

what i got:

netduino plus 2 - received yesterday

windows server 2003 R2 32Bit

visual studio 2010

installed latest sdk form your site yesterday.

what i have noticed is that when i stick the board in, it shows up in the device manager, but only as netuino.

when removing the driver, unplugging board and re-plugging it, it wants to install drivers and finds "netduino plus 2".

then it takes about 10 sec and it finds drivers and installs the ones for netduino.

the board shows up in the .net micro framework deployment tool, but the ping fails.

any more thoughts?

cheers

Can't wait for my Agent watch to arrive..........

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi 366cobra,

netduino plus 2 - received yesterday windows server 2003 R2 32Bit visual studio 2010 installed latest sdk form your site yesterday.   what i have noticed is that when i stick the board in, it shows up in the device manager, but only as netuino. when removing the driver, unplugging board and re-plugging it, it wants to install drivers and finds "netduino plus 2". then it takes about 10 sec and it finds drivers and installs the ones for netduino. the board shows up in the .net micro framework deployment tool, but the ping fails.   any more thoughts?

Okay, let's do a bit of diagnostic digging here. When your Netduino Plus 2 is plugged into your PC via USB, does the blue LED turn off after a few seconds? That means that it has completely booted. If so, try rebooting your PC and then opening up MFDeploy. Now press PING and see if you can ping your device. If it is connected to in any other app (such as Visual Studio) you won't be able to ping it. BTW, the driver installation is correct. All of the gen2 Netduinos are now known simply as "Netduino" so that you can deploy your project to any of them. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.